Saturday, September 15, 2007

Time To Buy A New Journal

Hello weight losing fans...

Today I stepped up onto the Magical-Mystical-Digital-Scale weighing in at 185.8-pounds. That's up over my three day record by 1.6-pounds. Don't worry it's just stuff that's waiting to leave.

I did eat a lot yesterday. I was out at work yesterday for fourteen hours. I had awoke early in the morning and basically blasted through the day without a nap. I relied heavily on protein powder and protein to give me the energy. I didn't get to bed until 2:00 AM. So, I was up for about 19 straight hours yesterday. That is a long time to avoid eating food. I get very hungry.

Later in the day I was hungry. This was in spite of the fact that at lunch I had a large Quizno's sub sandwich and a bag of Jalapeno Potato Chips. In the evening, I was given a free meal at McDonald's.
I was very hungry and decided to not worry that I was already at my 1,500 calorie allotment for the day.

Since the last meal of the day was at around 9:00 PM, I suspect that's why I am seeing the extra poundage. It's just the stuff that is waiting to leave. We'll see tomorrow if I am not right, or maybe Monday.

Believe me, the last few days I have been keeping a tight lid on my 1,500 calories. I don't have time to go through my menu. But, I have been eating less carbohydrates, and more meat mixed with vegetables, fruit and salad. I write it all down.

It's Time To Buy A New Food Journal
Today I realized it's time to head off to the Office Store and purchase a new legal pad to use for my food journal. I have only two fresh pages left, and then I am out of paper in the pad.
I have been writing in this journal since January 29, 2007.
Where has the time gone?

Maybe someday someone will find my box of legal pads full of records for my weight and the food that I ate each day. Then they will wonder, "Huh, so that's what the primitive man ate."

Another Woman Confessed To Me That She Has Joined Weight Watchers
Today I had another woman tell me she has joined Weight Watchers.

I told this lady that I am critical of weight watchers. She asked me, why? I told her that it's because the government established the calorie system years ago to evaluate the burning of food. Then weight watchers came along and assigned a point system to food.

I told her that the body burns food for energy. I told her that food companies spend thousands of dollars to have technicians in white lab coats burn food to establish a calorie count.
Along came weight watchers and nullified the whole thing by using points.

She told me that it's really simple to follow. She said that the less fiber food has the higher the points. Oh, OK.

I asked her about fruits. She said that fruits don't have points because fruits are high in fiber. She said that she can eat all the fruits and vegetables that she wants to.

I asked her if I eat a bag of apples I won't gain weight. She said no. I said if I eat a bunch of oranges I won't gain weight. She said no. She said that I can probably eat a whole bunch of apples and oranges and not gain weight.

She then told me how they figure out the points. She goes onto her computer and puts in the fat content, the calorie count, and some other numbers. They then spit out her points for the day.

Golly that sounds awfully darned complicated there to me. Hey, all I do is look at the calorie count on the package for the serving size. Then I add up the numbers.

OK... Let's get this straight. Go to the food store. Buy a bag of apples and eat it. Then buy a bag of oranges and eat it. Now, go get one of those juicy hamburgers. Eat that puppy down. If you can that is. Since a juicy hamburger doesn't exceed the points for the day, then you are OK. And since you only ate apples and oranges, you will lose weight?

Does that make any sense at all? What about the sugar in the apples and the oranges, isn't that fructose? Doesn't that have any effect at all?

According to this woman if doesn't.

Listen, take my advice. All food that has calories in them has an effect on the body. It doesn't matter if it's fruits, vegetables, or meats.

Now for this particular post I am not trying to go into the science of food. I am just writing there goes another lost soul down a rabbit trail. She needs to lose weight but can't do it the old fashion way.

All she has to do is reduce her portion sizes. Yes, that is it in a nut shell. EAT LESS FOOD.

This lady told me that she really doesn't eat all that much food. Oh, OK. So she has to lose weight but she doesn't eat that much. OH, OK. I get it. That fat just happened to jump onto her body there. She's 45-pounds over her weight limit, and she didn't eat that much food?

I told this same lady that I purchased lean cuisines to start my weight loss adventure. She then said that she would but there is too much salt in lean cuisines.

Let me make a prediction. If she doesn't get her head on straight about her food consumption, she won't lose weight. She can use Weight Watchers. That's fine.
But, in the end she is going to have to face some real hard facts. One: she eats more than she needs too. Two: she eats the wrong kind of food. Three: She needs to learn to deal with the ugly HUNGER MONSTER.

I hope she makes it. She would look real good going back to the weight she once was when I first met her. She won't get there without a struggle.

That's the cold hard reality. It's a struggle to lose weight.

Bye for now...

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

"Let me make a prediction. If she doesn't get her head on straight about her food consumption, she won't lose weight."

You are absolutely correct about that. Because judging from what she told you, she may have joined Weight Watchers, but she is definitely not following Weight Watchers.

Of course fruits have point values. But there are some vegetables and other foods that don't have points, due to the low number of calories per serving. For example, Progresso just came out with a line of "zero point" soups. One serving of soup is zero points. But there are 2 servings per can. Eat the entire can and you've just eaten 2 points worth of soup! You just can't add points for multiple servings, you need to look at calories, too!

I know that you're not a WW fan, and that's fine. You've had great success and I think that's fantastic. But speaking as someone who has used WW to lose 130+ pounds and keep it off for 2 1/2 months and counting, it can and does work for those folks who do have their heads on straight about their food consumption, and follow the program as intended.

 Hello Weight Losing Fans,  Today I stepped up onto the Digital Scale weighing in at 208.2-Pounds. My heart is very heavy with pain since my...