Wednesday, January 14, 2009

Counting Calories Does Work

Hello weight losing fans...

Today I stepped up onto the Magical-Mystical-Digital-Scale weighing in at 180.2-pounds.
That's up from yesterday. It's down from this time last year at which I weighed 182.6-pounds.

I am on an even keel here.

Counting Calories Doesn't Work - Who Said?
Yesterday night I was wandering through the book store. There was a rack in the isle filled with books that had been discounted for clearance. One of the books was about losing weight. I don't remember the title because I wasn't paying close attention to trying to remember it.

When I mentally discount something, I automatically let my mind discharge the thought. In other words, I forgot.

I do remember this one phrase in the book which stated: "Counting calories doesn't work."

Well, I am here to say counting calories does work. I know it works, because I have been doing the calorie counting for two years now. I have managed my food consumption quite well by keeping a written record of my food consumption.

I can't think of any other kind of system I have tried that has made me so successful as I have been these last two years.

I have read many books about weight loss. I have tried many techniques. None of them has been successful.

My system is easy to follow. It's not easy to apply. It's because denying food to myself when I was hungry was a real mental struggle.

I was tempted to purchase this book, and read it. Only, just that one statement about counting calories turned me off.

Here is how I count my calories. I make a mental note about what I am drinking or eating. I try to size it up. If it's a fluid then I try to figure out how many ounces it is. If it's food, then I try to figure out how many cups it is. I compare the food to known objects, like a deck of cards, or a tennis ball.

I then write down what I ate. Let's just say, I can't figure out the calorie count of what I ate. At the very least, I have a written record of what I ate, or what I drank.

My system isn't perfect. It gives me a rough idea about what my diet has been.

At the very least, my system keeps me alert to everything that goes into my mouth. Which is what anyone who is trying to lose weight should be doing anyway.

Everyday when I crawl out of bed I head to the bathroom to weigh myself. Yes, I weigh myself everyday.

My limits are self imposed. I don't limit myself to the variety of food that I consume. I limit myself to the amount of food I consume.

I think diets that are highly restrictive to the kind of food someone eats don't work. I don't know anyone who can give up ice cream, and birthday cake forever. I don't know anyone that forfeits their favorite foods forever.

It's easier to have the favorite food, but to limit the quantity. This has been my experience.

I am convinced that most people are wreck less with their food consumption. Why do I write this? Well, take a look at all of the chubbies out there. They don't pay attention to what they eat.

I know people close to me who are like this. I know one person who ate a large bag of Tostitoes on a road trip heading home. This person told me, "I don't eat that much."

Hey, wake up. Unless someone has a medical illness, they are fat because they eat too much.

So sorry, I had to write that.

Bye for now...

And that's the way it is...I'm David Dane

No comments:

 Hello Weight Losing Fans,  Today I stepped up onto the Digital Scale weighing in at 208.2-Pounds. My heart is very heavy with pain since my...