Saturday, June 14, 2008

I Don't Eat That Much: I Only Have To Lose Ten Pounds

Hello weight losing fans...

Today I stepped up onto the Magical-Mystical-Digital-Scale weighing in at 186.6-pounds. That's the same as yesterday.

Someone once said real genius is being a good copy cat. In other words do, or say what's been successful in the past. Chances are good, all things being equal, you'll be able to duplicate the results. If they are good results, then the odds are real good you'll get good results.

Well, I'm stealing a comment again and posting it:

"You are so right about not being aware of how much food we do eat...it's quite surprising once a person keeps track.The advantage to keeping track is that seeing the number on paper is limiting in itself....sort of shock therapy...as in "it's hard to believe I've eaten that much".Without keeping track there is no way to really stay balanced as in eating the amount we need for weight maintenance or loss."

This was a comment posted sometime between me posting yesterday, and today. Here is someone who has been, like me, through the gauntlet with the weight loss phenomenon. She has a pretty good idea what people wrestle with. She isn't pretentious either. She doesn't pretend as if she has all the answers. Straight forward she is. So I swiped her comment and posted it.

Yesterday I wrote that we have an out of whack perception about food. This could really be true with a lot of things. It could be an out of whack perception about the amount of alcohol consumed. It could be an out of whack perception about our relationships. We see it one way, but the reality is another way. And the results speak for themselves.

In our case, we the preponderant ones (fat butts), our results: are we are brimming over the edge of our pants, as in the case of many men? For you ladies, that dress you once wore isn't fitting anymore because you can't squeeze into it. All sorts of results show themselves, as in lack of energy, huffing and puffing up the stairs, looking in the mirror and seeing the edges of your body disappear off the edges of the mirror.

We start to feel the effects of being overweight in many different ways, yet even so, we go into denial that there may be something wrong here. Over and over warnings are issued about the results of being over weight. Over and over the warnings go out that eating wrong isn't healthy. Yet, we ignore them.

Now, I'm not big on the liberal press and their alarmist behavior. Many of these people are reactionary, and think they have to be. But, some of what's being broadcast on the news about obesity isn't so far fetched. I just don't agree with their solutions: Government Intervention, laws, and regulations.

What I am writing is are we ignoring the obvious? What makes you think that just because today you are only 10 pounds over weight that you aren't heading into the unknown obis of being grossly over weight? I did.

I did care about my weight, only I fell short in a solution. I tried the doctor Atkins's diet. I had great results for a while. Then back the weight came. And it came faster than it did before.

My solution came, and I will make it short and sweet, "Eat less food." Oh, you don't eat that much? Hmmm, your belly tells me different. I see with my eyes something contrary to what you are telling me with your mouth.

Oh, I'm not saying that you might not have something wrong with your glands. You might. But, for about 95% of us out their our problem isn't a health issue, it's an eating issue.

Don't think I like thinking about it either. Don't think I like eating a small portion of meat, a piece of bread, and some vegetables, then pushing myself away from the table.

The reality is, we eat too much. We eat the wrong stuff, and now it's showing.
I can't put it any other way. I just can't.

I like my jelly donuts, I like the cinnamon buns. I want to be able to pop some food into my mouth and not worry about the results. The truth is I can't. It only leads to disaster.


Try This Experiment
Go to the local store and buy a note book. Carry it with you. Every time you eat something, or drink something write it down. Try to compare the portion size to something familiar like a deck of cards, or a tennis ball, or an ice cream scoop size. Try to be realistic and fair with everything you eat and drink.

Do this for a week. Then see if what you are telling us, more importantly what you are telling you, is the truth. Just be honest for this short time. Are you really not eating that much food?

Well, all I had today was a slice of Lasagna. Yeah, but how big was that slice, and how many layers thick was it with cheese and pasta?

Oh, I only had a chocolate donut for breakfast. Yeah, what did you eat all the rest of the day?

What did you drink? Did you ever consider the incredible amount of calories in that large glass of orange juice you just drank? Did you ever consider that glass of orange juice ranks up there with the top ten no, nos on the glycemic charts? Yeah, it's loaded with pure sugar that spikes up the insulin levels real fast. You might just as well get a sugar injection with that. It's about the same thing.

Well, I only had two 20 ounce bottles of soda today. Ahem, that's 300 calories a bottle for a whopping 600 empty, empty calories. This really ranks up there with bozo no, nos on the glycemic index. Let's just get you an IV bottle and hang it for a daily intravenous injection there. Phew.

Well David you're just being a Nazi about food here aren't you? Ah, wait a minute. I'm just trying to make a point. I'm not telling you what to do. Just consider the possibility that you might have a problem.

I have a family member, who is extraordinarily good with people. He landed in the right job, and fits well. He makes a huge salary as a result. Only, he has a serious blind spot. No amount of convincing him will get him to accept that he is grossly over weight. Yes he's big boned. Yes, he has a lot of muscle. He is a physical horse. But, when he takes his shirt off the flab hangs, and I mean it hangs. He won't see the truth, nor will his spouse. Safe to say she doesn't look any better. She also smokes like a factory chimney. Which isn't good.

I am not writing that when we lose weight, we will now be eligible to be models in glamour magazine. Golly, I'm not close. However, I am writing there comes a point when we have to realize we aren't in real good shape if the jello hangs out of our britches. My jello was hanging out of the britches. It still does. Even now people say that I have lost enought. Umm, I am the one who sees myself nude in the mirror everyday, not them. It's truly a sight to behold.

As for you, what's it going to take for you to admit that you aren't there with your weight? Should you be 100 pounds instead 140 pounds? Should you be 200 pounds, instead of 300 pounds?

Are you pushing the envelope with your weight? Well, I only have to lose 10 pounds? Are you sure that's all you need to lose? When's the last time you checked? Well, my doctor weighed me and he said I'm OK. Oh, let's see what the charts say. I mean the latest charts. What do the charts say you should be? Is your doctor looking at the chart? Or, is you doctor being polite? He got his fee for service, now he'll wait until the next time.

Since when do doctors know everything? You can see you don't fit into your blue jeans anymore. Short of being a volemic girl who forces herself to vomit, what's your issue?

Oh, there you go David. You're mean. No, that heart attack is mean. That clicking sound on the cash register is mean, while you're buying new clothes that you shouldn't have to. That is if you aren't changing styles. Blue Jeans are blue jeans, do you have to keep buying more like I did? That diagnosis of diabetes is mean. That relationship that's suffering is mean. You don't look so hot anymore.

Oh that's superficial. Yes, we live in a superficial world. And it's you who's not dealing with reality. It's not me. Oh, I have my blind spots. And, I can be lazy. But, about this weight thing, you know I'm right.

I fight this stinking battle everyday, all day. It never ends. It's a constant thing. I hate it. But, finally, after being at it for over 1 1/2 years, I am getting a little used to it. I still crash.
I get up, dust myself off, and go at it some more.

I don't like it, but it's life. It's the cold hard reality. I am a preponderant. I will always be a preponderant. I look different, but the truth is, I could go into reverse and regain it all.

Bye for now...

And that's the way it is...I'm David Dane

No comments:

 Hello Weight Losing Fans,  Today I stepped up onto the Digital Scale weighing in at 208.2-Pounds. My heart is very heavy with pain since my...