Saturday, November 22, 2008

Ooops, My Weight Is Up Cus' I Celebrated My Birthday

Hello weight losing fans...

Today I stepped up onto the Magical-Mystical-Digital-Scale weighing in at 182.4-pounds.
Yes, you read that right. Ohhh David....

What happened? It was my birthday. Yes, it was a turning point in my life where I turned 1/2 of a century old. Oh, and many people seem to think that I don't look like a 50 year old man.
They think I look younger.

Wow, that and $1.50 gets me a cup of coffee.

Trying To Encourage The Discouraged
Yesterday I wrote one of my longest posts in a long time. I had time to think about it, and I had the time to write it. So, as I began to write, I rambled on.

My desire was to encourage someone out there who is really wrestling with their weight. I want people to believe that there is hope at the end of that weight loss tunnel. If you are over weight, you can lose that weight.

The magical key to accomplishing that is to have stubborn resolve. Some would call that persistence. When I write this, I am not talking about "positive thinking." I am not talking about that "I think I can, can do attitude." Because for darn sure when I began to lose this weight; I didn't have it.

Well, what did I have? I was sick and tired. I was sick and tired of crawling up that staircase. I was sick and tired of seeing myself in the mirror. (Oh, it's not that much better now.) I was tired of clothing that didn't fit. I was sick and tired of being tired physically all of the time. I was sick and tired of being a preponderant.
I could go on.

What happened? I got resolve. I did something dramatic. I cut way back on my food portions. I wasn't recording the food content yet. I wasn't weighing myself everyday yet. I just plunged in, not knowing where it would lead me. I promise that's all true.

I got results. I got what I was looking for. I struggled with immense, oppressive hunger. I struggled with those mangy mood swings like a cigarette smoker does when he quits cigarettes.
I struggled with the frustation.

Then one day I stepped up onto the scale weighing less. This gave to me a glimmer of hope. I went from there. I experimented with bigger portions of food. I experimented with calorie counting.

I experimented and found a status-guo for my daily calorie counting that put me at that critical point where my body could lose weight.

What Happened To Today's Weight?
So, what about my weight today? Why have I gone from 175-pounds one week or so ago, to 182.4-pounds today? Well, yesterday was my birthday and I was treated, rather late in the evening, to a buffet. I ate more food than I usually do. Oh, and I had my chocolate cake with vanilla ice cream thank you very much.

So, am I going to feel so guilty for it? Gosh no. That's nutty. Why would I feel guilty?
Do I feel like I have let myself down? Gosh no. I will shed these pounds in a few days by going back to 1,500 calories.

What about someone like you? What if you are struggling to get off those pounds? What if your desire is to lose 50 or 100 pounds. What should you do?

Oh, get ready to set your resolve. Get ready to say to yourself this is going to be a life long event. Get ready to say to yourself that I have to be at this weight loss thing everyday of my life until they put dirt on you. That's so cold.

Is that deeply discouraging? Is it hard to imagine that you'll be at this your whole life? Well, you got here because you assumed, like so many people, you could eat everything that you did, and you wouldn't see a bad result.

Many people don't realize that all that sugar soda they consumed through the years was bad for them. I am not saying an eight ounce cup of Coke as part of a meal is bad all of the time. I am asking did you have to drink that whole bottle?

And how many times did we eat two or three donuts for breakfast, then a hamburger for lunch then a three course dinner? How much food did we consume? Then we smuggly said to ourselves, I didn't eat that much.

Well, you did something to get where you are.

I am not a nutritionist. I am not a doctor. When I am writing this I am writing from my own personal experience. I am writing about what I have observed.

Obesity isn't a respecter of persons. Those Twinkies, ding-dongs, bottles of wine, steaks, French fries, don't ask themselves, am I going in to a rich and beautiful person? Your body isn't asking well, how much money does this guy have in his bank account?

Your body isn't asking well is this guy I am about to make fat a doctor? It's not asking well, is she a Bay Watch beauty? It's not inquiring about your mental status or your social status.

All your body knows is, you have been shoveling in the food for years. You've been opening your mouth and pushing it in. You've been eating donuts, cake, candy, large portions of fried chicken, big servings of beef, Christmas cookies, and all kinds of sweet liquids for years.

Then one day your body says, "Hey, you're gonna pay. Sorry, I was built this way. I have certain chemical reactions that are pretty much standard in most people, and you abused your warranty."

It's like the drug abuser who got so addicted to drugs, he/she became a thief, or maybe a killer to get the drugs. Then one day, he/she awoke up in a jail cell and their life was ruined.

Oh, and don't think the warnings aren't going out there about this epidemic in the U.S. about obesity. They are. Only, the insurance companies don't want to pay the doctors bills because of your neglect. The insurance companies want to collect the premiums, and spend that money on big buildings, and big salaries for their top executives.

The U.S. Government doesn't want to spend it's medicare money on you or I either. And, now that the Messiah, Lord and Saviour, Barack Obama is in office we'll get universal mandatory health care that will cost a fortune.

In either scenario no one wants to pay for you, or I.

So what do you do? Be smart. Get that weight off. But, do it because you want a better quality of life for yourself. Do it because you will post-pone the diseases, like type-2 diabetes, that are associated with obesity.

Lose that weight for you. Oh, but your life is dark. Oh, it's not worth living. Oh, no body loves me.

Hey God Loves You. He does, that's really what matters.

Let me tell you something: In my 50 years of life, I have seen a lot of flaky people. I have seen people do terrible stuff to each other, and you want to depend on people for that feeling of love?

You do your part. You take care of yourself. I don't mean being a narcissist and looking in the mirror all time kind of person either.

You take care of you. You give yourself the right nutrition. You, if you can go do a little exercise. You work on you. Don't depend on someone else to. There are a lot of books out there that teach us how to live right. Dig into one and read.

Then again, there is one book out there that everyone should read and digest, and that's the Bible. I use the New International Version Bible. You can use some other modern versions.

I pray a lot. I think that's the only way I have managed to survive this long in this wigged out wacky world. Don't think for five seconds I don't struggle with my dark days. Don't think for five seconds, I don't worry sometimes about what will happen if. I am not supposed to. But I have.

Finally, I must be on my way. I will end with these thoughts.
Record your weight. Record what you are eating and drinking. Get a diary going about what you are eating.

For you who wrestle with those dark moods, (And many of us do.) write in your food diary a comment about your emotional state when you went to that refrigerator and raided it. Were you hungry? Were you feeling lonely? Did you feel neglected? Put that down.

When you go back to examine what's going on with your diet, you'll be able to diagnose the issues that are holding you back from progressing.

We live in a very self centered world now a days. That's a given. But, what people don't realize is; it's always been that way. We are really fortunate we live in a modern society full of modern conveniences. Some one around the world doesn't. But, if you are reading this, then the odds are real good, you are better off than you may know.

Number counter when I completed writing this post today: 7431
Bye for now...

And that's the way it is...I'm David Dane

No comments:

 Hello Weight Losing Fans,  Today I stepped up onto the Digital Scale weighing in at 208.2-Pounds. My heart is very heavy with pain since my...