Saturday, July 21, 2007

Going, Going, Going; The Fat Is Still Coming Off

Hello weight losing fans...

I was perplexed at what I should title today's posting on the blog. I have so much to write, but I have so little time to write it. I have only so much time before I have to head home and get ready for work. It's going to be another late night out, and then I will be back to work within hours. If I had not lost so much weight, I think my schedule would have killed me by now.

Today I stepped onto the scale weighing in at 189.6-pounds.

How did I do it? I ATE LESS FOOD.
TA DA, that's my big revelation.

Here is the really cool thing. I am not killing myself with over exercising, I am not living in total denial of every tasty little treat I could put my mouth on.

I live in the world of moderation. That is part of the key to losing weight. I have some little tasty treats along the way, but not every single day like we in America are in the habit of doing.

Over the last two days, (yesterday and the day before) I actually ate some deli-sandwiches that were to die for. These were large bread sandwiches with ham, cheese, spices, and hot chili peppers packed on top. I absolutely loved them. Ummm, yum, yum, yum...

After I ate them that was the end of the day for me. I couldn't even eat dinner. It's because these sandwiches were two meals in one sandwich. I knew that before I ate them.

Here is my point, I am not living in this world where I have to deny every single food that I could eat. I am not on a low carb diet. I am not on a high vegetable diet. I am just cutting back on my total food consumption.

I have a general idea what kind of food I am consuming. And since I have been doing this for seven months plus I have an idea what my calorie count is. Then again I may not, but I write down what I ate anyway.

If I write down what I ate from day to day I will get an idea what I have been eating. I have a historical record of what I ate. I can troubleshoot my weight gains or losses using that food consumption record.

If I don't write down what I ate, then many months from now I won't remember what I ate. If I can't remember what I ate then I may not have any idea why I am losing or gaining weight.

In the business world companies keep all kinds of records. For some reason in our personal lives we don't think is is necessary to keep any records. Some of the great historical figures from the past kept diaries. They jotted down their thoughts.

We should have a food diary. It the very least that we can do to provide a historical food record of our consumption.

Health Food Store Owner Had No Answers
Yesterday I stopped in at a discount health food store. I asked the owner if he has any idea what to tell someone when asked how to lose weight.

The owner answered me, "Well, there are many different variations of diets that any individual can use to lose weight. It just depends on the person." What?

I asked him, "Do you want to hear my solution to losing weight?" He said, "Sure." I said, "It's simple, EAT LESS FOOD."

He looked stunded at my statement. He said, "You know that's true."

Of course it's true. It's the most obvious solution to get the pounds off. We over look it because we know deep inside our hearts we are going to have to give up eating food anytime, and everywhere we eat.

It takes sacrifice to lose weight. Losing weight means learning to deny yourself, and it means suffering throught those nagging times of hunger.

Sometimes the hunger in me is so strong it feels like cats are scratching at the sides of my stomach. I can hear the groaning of my stomach as it gnaws away. I get light headed sometimes. It's because I am hungry.

Here is the thing. I may have only eaten a meal just a short time before the hunger starts. I don't care what the diet gurus say. I don't care about the high density foods. I don't care.
I get hungry. And I know, that I know I shouldn't eat.

Last night I visited a friend. My friend was eating a chocolate bar. It was one of the hard carmel twist bars with chocolate coating it. It was 240 calories in this little chocolate bar.

My friend offered me a candy bar. I said, "No, most of the time I avoid those, but I do usually eat a protein bar." My friend offered me a protein bar. Again I declined the offer.

I was very hungry and I turned it down. I wanted to see where I would end up with my weight this morning. I came in low because I turned down something that would have stopped my fat burning.

I was already at my calorie limit for the day. I knew I had to avoid more food. If nothing else then I could have taken a little honey, or something more healthy than a caramel chocolate bar.

This is what you have to put up with when you are losing weight. You have to sacrifice when everyone around you is eating until their hearts content. It takes an act of will to say, "No I have had enough."

It's not easy to lose weight. It's just worth it though. It's worth living healthier. It's worth having more energy. It's worth being able to sleep better at night. It's worth looking better. It's worth all the struggle and the sacrifice.

Bye for now...

1 comment:

Jake Silver said...

Of course you are right but oh my friggin' god it is hard to just be hungry. I have not learned how yet...

 Hello Weight Losing Fans,  Today I stepped up onto the Digital Scale weighing in at 208.2-Pounds. My heart is very heavy with pain since my...