Friday, June 26, 2009

Beginning That Slow Agonizing Weight Decent

Hello weight losing fans...

Today I stepped up onto the Magical-Mystical-Digital-Scale weighing in at 187.6-pounds. That's down from yesterday's weight.

I don't think that's so bad, considering that just four days ago I was tipping that scale at 192-pounds two days back to back. Oh boy.....

Now folks, I have no one to blame for this but me....

If you will check my archives from 2007, and 2008, you will see I managed to maintain 180-pounds for over one year.

I got impatient, and wanted to get to 170-pounds, and then 160-pounds. I started tinkering with my diet, instead of eating everything I did, but much less of what many call a normal portion.
This is where I got into trouble. I started craving sweets like you would not believe.

I think I also reached a point, albeit a temporary time period, where I was thinking I could get away with eating more than I should. Well, you see the results.

I Am A Preponderant
I am a Preponderant. I haven't written that term for a long time. It means to tip the scales in the wrong direction. It's usually a term, preponderance, used in a court of law. It means to over whelm with evidence, or to tip the scales of justice; as in the preponderance of evidence.

I adapted the term to Preponderant. I morphed the term to mean a person who tips the scales in the wrong direction.

I am a Preponderant. I am very much like an alcoholic. Only my addiction isn't alcohol, it's food.
I have a slow metabolism. There isn't very much I can do about that, except add in some exercise to offset some calories consumed, and to condition my body.

If you are like me, then you too are a Preponderant. You aren't like that guy who can chow down on two big hot dogs on a bun for lunch, each half of a pound of French Fries, then a large coke, and still stay thin like a sapling tree. I am not that lucky.

If you are like me, then you have to admit, you are a preponderant. That's a nice term for stating you are fat. You may be a little fat, let's say 20 pounds or so like me. Or, you may be a lot fat, like I was, at 80-pounds over my normal body weight.

None-the-less, I was a preponderant, and still am. And I don't have the luxury of being able to consume everything my little heart desires. You don't either. So sorry about that, I really am.

I wish that it were different. As my dad used to say, "Wish in one hand, then crap in the other. Which one weighs more?" That's a crude way of saying "Wishing" doesn't count for anything.

Walt Disney Studios had a cartoon they made where Jimmy Cricket sang, "When you wish upon a star, your dreams come true." That's all cute for children, and for fantasy, but you and I must face the cold hard reality.

We can wish that things were different than they are with our bodies. But wishing on a falling star isn't going to change the fact you weigh more than you should.

It's also not going to change the reality you may suffer adverse effects as a result; diabetes, heart trouble, joint problems, etc..

I want it to be different, but it's not.

What Must Be Done To Change Our Preponderance?
Well, you must first admit you are over weight. Like the alcoholic, or the drug abuser, you must come to accept that you have a problem with your weight. It could be 20-pounds, and then it could be 100-pounds.

Then you have to make a simple plan to lose the weight. It has to be a simple plan, because if it gets too complicated, then you won't follow it for long.

My plan was to keep a very simple food log. I had everything that I ate and drank written in a spiral note book. I didn't make columns, or fancy pages. I just wrote what I ate. Later I began estimating the calories to the best of my ability, and added those calories next to my food.

You'll be truly surprised about the amount of food, and drink you consume if you'll keep a written record throughout the day.

You'll be even more amazed when you start tabulating the calories for each food, and drink item on your list. That 20-ounce coke is 250-calories. That ice cream sandwich is 160 calories. That pint of Haagen-Dazs Chocolate Ice Cream is 600 calories. That Cinnamon Sweet Roll is 600 calories.

It's easy to over look what is causing your weight problem when you aren't paying attention to the food you are consuming.

You have to monitor your weight. There are people who think that weighing in once a month is enough. Some people weigh in once a week. I weigh most every day. I have too.

Has weighing in everyday saved me from regaining 12-pounds? No, it hasn't. However, I knew that I was gaining weight again. I was gaining as much as one pound per day. That's a lot.

This is how screwed up my metabolism really is. It doesn't take much food to push me over the edge and I begin to regain weight.

Unfortunately, you are probably the same way. Judging by the number of fatties I see walking around, I think I am not the only one with this problem.

Finally once you decide to implement your plan, expect it not to be easy. That's right, it's not easy to lose weight.

Expect that you will get hungry like you never got hungry before. That's right you'll get hungry, and you'll be tempted to eat the wrong things. This is where you'll have to have the resolve to avoid breaking your diet plan.

Don't believe the Magazines, and the so called experts in the news media. I was reading in a major magazine that stated counting calories doesn't work. The author wrote if you just bulk up on certain foods, then you won't be hungry for the wrong foods. That's a lie. You'll still want that ice cream even after you've swallowed a pound of green beans.

I am here to tell you, "It sucks trying to lose weight. It sucks keeping the weight off. It sucks."

Don't Expect Anyone To Understand
Before I go: Don't expect anyone to understand your sacrifice. Don't expect anyone to be supportive, not you're spouse, not your children, not your mother, or your best friend. Accept this is your gig, and that's it.

One would hope that those who are closest to us to support our efforts, but they don't live in your skin. They don't have to lay awake at night when the Hunger Monster is gnawing in your guts.

Nope, it's you, and you alone, that has to face this Weight Monster.

You can lose weight if you want to.

Bye for now...

And that's the way it is...I'm David Dane

No comments:

 Hello Weight Losing Fans,  Today I stepped up onto the Digital Scale weighing in at 208.2-Pounds. My heart is very heavy with pain since my...