Thursday, September 9, 2010

Is Diet Coke Causing Leg Cramps?

Hello weight losing fans....

Today I stepped up onto the Magical-Mystical-Digital-Scale weighing in at 203.8-pounds.

Yes, that's down one pound from yesterday.

You guys missed last week when I couldn't get to the library to post my blog. I actually got down to 200-pounds on I think Tuesday. I don't have my log sheets in front of me to see what it was. My memory doesn't go that far back anymore, so darned if I can tell when it was.

But, I can surely say I am keeping a steady weight here just over 200-pounds. Now this is way off my records of just a couple years ago. But, I am not back up there floating around at 210-pounds like I was. That was frustrating in a strange sort of way. For some dogged reason I couldn't blast the 210-pounds.

Here is what I did to break that barrier. I literally went on an all protein diet for just about a week. I ate nothing but eggs, bacon, and fish for just about a week. Then on one day I fasted without food for 24 hours. Boom that dam broke. Down came the pounds.

Now, I am sitting just over 200-pounds, and I want to break this dam. I wish I could get back to 180-pounds again.

The obstacles include family members and friends who absolutely insist I eat what they are eating. Did you ever meet people who hate to eat alone? Or, like my cousin, can't figure out why I don't want to eat the piles of food she makes for me?

My cousin will lets her wafer of a son go with little meals. In fact he'll complain if she makes him eat. This is why he's a tall, skinny kid with no structure. He's just tall (6' 3") and skinny like a green bean.

It's not easy to be around people and try to lose weight.

Like always though, I will stick by the mantra and say, "Eat less Food."

DIET COKE (SODA'S) MAY BE CAUSING YOUR LEG CRAMPS
This is a change of topic off of the weight losing posts. I think it should be carefully considered though.

I have been for months now making a strong effort to wean myself off of diet soda's I have been making a big effort to drink water. Of course I drink my usual coffees in the morning, and then the rest of the day I consume water.

Just the other day I was hungry, and I purchased a meal along with a diet coke. Not more than an hour later as I was driving home my leg calf started to go into spasms and a cramp.
I have noticed this before after I would drink a diet soda, I would have what I would call arthritic feeling joints.

My mom used to be a really big consumer of Diet Cokes, and soda's. (Well she did before she died seven months ago.) She would complain of incredible cramps in her legs that were very painful. When she was in the hospital she was having awful, painful cramps. There on the counter next to her bed sat the opened cans of diet coke.

I am suspecting that maybe the artificial sweetener in the Diet Soda's had something to do with the Muscles cramping up.

So here is and experiment you might want to try. Stop, Stop using diet soda, and drink water. This is if you have leg or joint pain. See if the cramps go away. Then one day drink up a couple of cans of diet coke. Then see if the cramps return.

Regardless of the source of my leg cramps. I am really working at stopping with the diet coke, or diet soda. I don't like how I feel after drinking the stuff.

That's all I have for now...

And that's the way it is...I'm David Dane

3 comments:

Vero said...

I have the same problems with leg cramps, but when I stopped drinking soda. It's about day after I don't drink a soda. Painful cramps in the middle of the night. I think the soda has something that your nodus used too .

Anonymous said...

Me too, if I drink a diet soda I get leg cramps.

Anonymous said...

I have been suffering for years with nightly leg cramps. The leg cramps started when I started drinking Diet Coke. Every couple of weeks I stop drinking it and have immediate relief at night. However I am addicted to the Diet Coke and am silly enough to start drinking it again. One time I went 3 years without it and no leg cramps. I started again 2 days ago after a break and yes they are back so now I have promised myself I am stopping the Diet drinks for good.

 Hello Weight Losing Fans,  Today I stepped up onto the Digital Scale weighing in at 208.2-Pounds. My heart is very heavy with pain since my...