Tuesday, January 22, 2013

You Can't Go Back...!

Hello Weight Losing Fans...

Today I stepped up onto the "New Magical Mystical Digital Scale" weighing in at 235-Pounds...

Hey, I'll take it.

This means so far I am holding the line.... In the past I have always written that it's not good to lose weight too fast. That is because most often we end up losing the MUSCLE instead of the fat.
And looking at this belly of mine, I wonder if I may have lost more muscle than fat the last time I lost 60-Pounds. Well, there is no going back.

Today I want to talk about something that has been bugging me since September. This "Thinking" reared it's ugly head in September when I went to my brother-in-laws funeral, and it popped up around Christmas time...

The "Thinking" I  am writing about is this never ending need to look backwards at our lives.
I have been guilty of it most of my adult life. I have been someone who "Chewed the Past" in my mind like a Cow Chews its CUD....

Folks looking backwards and constantly thinking about the past is not constructive. I am not writing we can't learn from the past. Of course we have to remember history.
However, we can't let the past be what determines our future.

I have family members who constantly bring up the past. They are constantly talking about how their parents treated them, and they use it as an excuse to live deeply depressed miserable lives.
Well, I got tired of being miserable. One day I woke up and hated that black cloud that constantly hovered over me. I realised that black cloud over me was because hour, after hour I dragged the past through my mind. I was constantly thinking about the events that I perceived as wrong.

That is the way it is with our weight too... I had some years of victory there where my weight was down and I was feeling better. ... Then things were getting tough, and my mother died. I went into a depression, and really didn't care about my weight so much anymore.

Up, up, and away went my weight again.  It was simply a case of not being careful what I ate anymore. I got out of the habit of writing down what I was eating. My scale broke and for about one year I didn't replace it...

Then one day I woke up.... I put on my pants and couldn't button them. I put on some blue jeans and couldn't button them. Oh, what happened?

My neighbor ladies began telling me that I got fat. The guys at the garage started asking me what happened to me. Someone else that had not seen me for years exclaimed, "Oh my God, what has happened to you, you've gotten so fat."

Well, I went looking for a scale after weighing myself over at a family members home.
The scale read 235-Pounds. "Could it be," I thought?
Could I really be this big again? I looked all over for a scale to replace my "Magical Mystical Digital Scale." I originally purchased it a "Bed, and Bath." I went there only to find they stopped carrying that model.
So I opted to buy something else.

It took me a while after getting that scale to build the will power and determination again to try to lose weight. Meanwhile up my weight went to 240-Pounds.
Arg, day after day I was weighing in at 240-241-Pounds. I thought, "This has got to end. I have to draw the line somewhere, and put and end to this." Meanwhile one of my friends at Thanks Giving gave me a real good lecture about how fat I look again, and she compared me to Santa Clause.
She berated me and told me how my health was going to suffer....

I started to build my resolve again. I started going back to the patterns I initially developed to lose weight. I began cutting back portions. I began immediately to cut most sugar out of my diet. I started drinking water again when I had to eat out over the road. (Where as I had gotten into the habit of drinking Sprite or 7-up.) 

Well, I thought there is no going back. I can't take back what I did to get here. All I can do is put into practice the things I originally did to get my weight down before....

The other thing I made up my mind to do is daily cast my past behind me. That's right, I can't fix yesterday. It doesn't help me to dwell in the days past. All that I can do is live my day today, and think about tomorrow.

My family members are bitter. When something goes wrong they dredge up the family and how they were treated. And, some people need to comfort themselves when they do that, so they eat, and eat, and eat.

Well, cut the chains that anchor you to the past. What happened yesterday is gone into the history books, and we can not change it. All, we can do is change today, and tomorrow. (If we even get a tomorrow.)

My brother-in-law died in September 2012. He died a miserable, mean man that constantly dredged in his mind the past. He constantly remembered all the things that went wrong for him. It effected his weight, it effected all his relationships, and it effected the end when he was dead, no one came to his funeral....
That's right... Only his immediate family came to his funeral.

He was fat, and had diabetes. That was because when he was a young man he was injured in an accident of his own cause.  Then from there he got hooked on pain pills. From there is was down hill.
He ate, and he ate. He got fat, and sat in a bed until he died....

That is a horrible story I know. However, it's a lesson. Think about today. And think about tomorrow. Cut the chains of the past and let them sink away. It might seem cold and cruel. But, you can't live in the past, and you certainly can't change it...


And that's the way it is... I'm David Dane....!

No comments:

 Hello Weight Losing Fans,  Today I stepped up onto the Digital Scale weighing in at 208.2-Pounds. My heart is very heavy with pain since my...