Tuesday, March 3, 2009

I'm Still Hoping This Method Might Work

Hello weight losing fans...


Today I stepped up onto the Magical-Mystical-Digital-Scale weighing in at 178.2-pounds. That's down from yesterday.

On this day last year, March 3, 2008, I was 182.2-pounds. OK, so I have held the line. I sure haven't seen much progress.

Trying To Get The Glucose In The Fat To Burn
Yesterday I mentioned that I am using Ketostix to check if I am pumping out Ketones. This morning I used the strips, and the results were positive. I turned the strip purple.

According to what I have read when someone has body fat, they have stored energy. That stored energy is Glucose that's been linked together. Glucose is sugar. Fat is links of Glucose. Only they aren't linked like chains as we see links in a chain. The molecules of Glucose are actually knit together in molecules which makes them into fat.

Fat molecules are difficult for the body to break apart. It's actually easier for the body to consume protein molecules than fat molecules. This is why when dieting people need to consume protein.

The body uses glucose (a sugar) to provide the energy it needs to power up it's many functions. Without glucose in the blood the body would quickly run out of energy, and then die. It's called starvation.

If someone has large deposits of body fat, he / she has large storage areas of energy. Remember that fat is knitted chains of sugar.

Someone who's fat, can live longer than someone who's skinny if denied food. Water would still be necessary of course.

I still have 20-pounds or so of body fat. I know because I can see it around my gut. I have a few weeks of energy sitting there around my middle doing nothing but jiggling.

I have a dilemma. I want to get rid of that fat. I have been successful getting rid of 60-pounds by cutting down my calories for a long period of time now.

I am attempting to get at the fat around my waste by doing something called induction by the Atkins Nutritional Approach.

The system is simple enough. The body needs glucose for energy. The body gets most of it's glucose from the carbohydrates that I consume. If I've cut out carbohydrates, IE sugars, breads, potatoes, and some vegetables, my body has now been denied one source of glucose.

Since the body doesn't have a regular source of glucose that it can use from food, it now has no choice but to search out other sources of glucose. That source is supposed to be my fat stored on my body. Well, it's supposed to be...

I read in a blip in one of the Atkins's books a phrase that warned about consuming too much protein. The author stated the body can convert some protein into fats. How, I don't know.

This is why I have been so careful to watch my calorie counts with the proteins that I am consuming as well as the kind of protein I consume.

One other source of glucose is if the body can split the fat molecules from foods eaten with the proteins. It's much harder for the body to split these fat molecules. Therefore I can consume fat and not worry about it being a problem. Again, I count those fat calories as well.

This morning I fried two eggs. I added 20 calories of fat because of the grease the eggs might have absorbed.

I wrote all that to say this: "What in the world is wrong?" I didn't even consume 1,500 calories yesterday. When I added in my one 7-ounce glass of wine, I didn't have 1,500 calories.
I checked my sugar grams, and the glass of wine added about 4 grams of sugar.

I checked my urine and that one glass actually slowed my progress. Apparently, I am so carbohydrate sensitive, I don't need many grams of carbohydrate to stop the fat burning.

By my estimates, I ought to be down 5-6-pounds by now. I should be stepping on the scale weighing in below 175-pounds.

I am not.

This has me perplexed. And, it brings to mind some myths that I am discovering:

Myth #1: The Atkins Nutritional Approach works every time, for everyone.

Myth #2: If someone does the Atkins Nutritional Approach properly, they will never crave sweets again. I wish right now I were chowing down on an Ice Cream Sunday.

Myth #3: If someone does the Atkins Nutritional Approach they will never struggle with hunger.
I ate three hours ago, and my stomach is churning for more food.

Myth #4: It doesn't matter what kind of protein you eat, as long as it doesn't have carbohydrates. Well, I've been eating eggs, and meat, I haven't lost one pound.

I could go on with my myths. I don't have the time to complete this today.

I am not saying that someone shouldn't attempt to use the Doctor Atkins Nutritional Approach to lose weight. It worked a couple times in the past for me. Only, don't be surprised if you do it, and you do it properly, and still don't get the desired results.

I am holding on to the idea, that it's ultimately how much food we consume that gets us into trouble. The body only needs so much energy to operate. If we put too much food in to the body, with most people, it will end up stored as fat.

The trick to learn is how much food is necessary. Each person is different. For me, I don't think I can get away with too much more than fifteen hundred calories a day. This might be all I ultimately need.

Look how long I have gone these last years by consuming on most days around 1,500 calories.
It's been over two years. I am not dead yet.

If you are serious about losing weight then you'll have to tinker with those numbers. It's a sure bet, judging by the number of preponderant people I see each day, most people don't even try to tinker with their numbers.

Bye for now...

And that's the way it is... I'm David Dane

2 comments:

Lyn said...

Just an opinion here, but if you really want a "diet program" I'd recommend South Beach induction. I think it's healthier and works better.

Just try whatever you think will help you without hurting yourself, and don't give up.

David Dane said...

Thanks Lyn

 Hello Weight Losing Fans,  Today I stepped up onto the Digital Scale weighing in at 208.2-Pounds. My heart is very heavy with pain since my...