Tuesday, September 9, 2008

You Have To Be Responsible For Only You

Hello weight losing fans...

This morning I stepped up onto the Magical-Mystical-Digital-Scale weighing in at 183.4-pounds.
Whoa.... What happened?

Ummm, foof happened.

One hour later, I stepped up onto the Magical-Mystical-Digital-Scale weighing in at 181.8-pounds. This was after I drank half of a pot of cold coffee that's been sitting around since I left it in a hurry yesterday morning as I raced out of the door for work. (I microwaved it.) So, it's safe to say that I really was just about 180-pounds. The stuff that left me took my weight down, and the stuff I drank (coffee) brought me up another pound.

So, you know what was there... FOOF.... That's just being polite.

I couldn't post the last three days. I was out of town Saturday and Sunday. I didn't have access to a computer, not even in the hotel that I stayed at. Yesterday I went to work in a hurry, and couldn't stop to use a computer at the library along the way. It was one in the morning when I got home today. Yep, I worked almost 14 hours yesterday. I went to bed right away.

Here it is without three days of posting. Saturday, I was just under 180-pounds. Sunday, I seemed to be gaining. So the last two days I have been over that illusive 180-pounds.

Oh my...

I have a copy of the Atkins Diet sitting by my bed. Once in a while I pick it up and read it. I have been meaning to pull some written thoughts out of it and then share them in this blog.

One of the things this book said is the body weight for anyone can very from two-to-five-pounds in a day. This is what I have been writing all along. It's impossible to keep the body exactly even everyday. There are too many variables involved.

I don't have the time to list all of those variables. Well, if the body varies it's weight as much as five pounds in a single day, then how do I know if I am making any progress?

This is where the idea of statistical analysis comes into play. I look for a trend in my weight. I know that my weight has been hovering in and around 180-pounds for many, many months.

I have gone up from that weight, and I have gone down from that weight. I look at the numbers over a set period; let's just say one month. I add those numbers up, then I divide the number of days I used into the total. My average weight is right around 180-pounds.

Well, I thought that you David were going to put your head down and go for 160-pounds. Hold your horses there. In my own defense, I think I am doing pretty good considering I have the wackiest work schedule anyone can wish for.

This puts unbelievable stress on me. How, I have lasted this long is beyond me. Short of God's grace, I think I would have been dead by now. That's besides the point.

Meanwhile all my fellow employees, are getting fat. Yes, they all are gaining weight. Again there are those who insist they haven't gained a pound in years. I can see it's not true.

Perhaps if my schedule were a bit different, then I would actually be getting closer to my target of 160-pounds.

I came in from work two night ago. It was after midnight. I had to eat something. I looked in my empty refrigerator, and thought, "What will I eat?" I grabbed the wheat bread, and fixed a peanut butter and jelly sandwich. This pushed me over my 1,500 calories for the day.

Lately, I have been waking up in the middle of the night. I have had to wrestle with the hunger again. This is because I have been eating more carbohydrate foods, like a waffle for breakfast, and cereal. This spikes the sugar levels, and then down they come later in the day. When that sugar level drops, on goes that hunger switch. I can either ride it out, or do something to reduce it. Lately I have been eating something like a peanut butter sandwich.
Usually, I use honey.

Personal Responsibility For You
The other day I was listening to a sermon on Christian Radio. The speaker was saying that we all have to be personally responsible for our relationship with God, and Jesus. He said that I have to make strides to get closer to God, and to be obedient to what I know.

Now, I am not a legalist, I believe without the Holy Spirit, we can't do anything that God wants. But, hey that's my theology.

OK, so what's the point here? Personal responsibility is our deal. We all have to be responsible for what we have been given. We have been given this body. It's our responsibility to maintain it.

As long as we have our wits, and the ability, we should take care of our body.

We have what we have. We have this body. Like it or not we, I, to live in it. I don't have the option to trade my body in. I can't change what's there. I have to make the best with what I have.
I am not always happy about it. In fact, privately, sometimes I whine like a baby. Yep, sometimes I want to toss in the towel on life.

I CAN'T. That's not my right to do. It's only God's decision when I get to check out on planet earth. In the mean time, I must make do.

The same goes for you. You must make do with what you have been given. Perhaps you are one of those people who has a bit more body fat than is really good for you. I have in the past called this being a preponderant. We tip the scale in the wrong direction.

If you are like me, you have wrestled with your weight. Maybe you have settled on the notion, you can't do anything about it. Well, I was like that almost two years ago.

Today, I am writing you don't have to remain that way. If you are 100-pounds over weight, or 60-pounds over weight, or just twenty pounds over weight, it doesn't have to be that way.

You can lose weight. You can lose weight, and remain healthy. You can lose weight and feel better. Only, you have to take the steps to lose the weight. Step one, "EAT LESS FOOD."
Step two, "EAT LESS FOOD." Step three,"EAT LESS FOOD."

Oh common, there you go, giving me a sermon. First you mentioned God, then you mentioned my diet. Hey, you don't have to read this every day. Go look at the funny pages. I don't mind.

But, if you are discouraged, and you think your weight is hopeless, then tune in. I am telling you, you can lose that weight. You don't have to kill yourself to do it. Yes, you may wrestle with hunger. Yes you may have wit less friends who give you unsound advice. But, in the end you can get through the dilemma, and lose the weight.

Number Counter when I completed today's post: 5483

Bye for now...

And that's the way it is...I'm David Dane

No comments:

 Hello Weight Losing Fans,  Today I stepped up onto the Digital Scale weighing in at 208.2-Pounds. My heart is very heavy with pain since my...