Tuesday, September 30, 2008

This Is Weight Loss Success

Hello weight losing fans...

Today I stepped up onto the Magical-Mystical-Digital-Scale weighing in at 182.4-pounds. This is down from yesterday.

Lately I haven't been posting too many of my ideas about losing weight. On some of the days I have come to the computer and drawn a blank about what I wanted to post.

Much of the time, I wonder if what I have written really makes any difference. My hope has been to inspire someone to lose weight, and then to keep it off.

I have now been posting on this blog for over one year of time. I started my weight loss journey almost two years ago. At that time I was around 240-pounds. My waist-line was eight inches bigger than it is today. I still have a closet, and drawers full of clothes that now hang on me like burlap sacks.

Not so long ago I wrote that I was putting my head down, and was pushing to reach that 160-pound target. Well, as of today, it hasn't happened. I have reached down as far as 175-pounds, and then only regained that 5-pounds. Here I am right around 180-pounds.

I must admit, I have been baffled because I thought for sure I would have completed my weight loss journey by now. This is because I have kept myself at about 1,500 calories a day.
I haven't seen any progress. In fact, the last few days, I have actually woke up and stepped onto the Magical-Mystical-Digital-Scale weighing in as much as 185-pounds. Whoa....

I thought about this whole dilemma and realized "This is weight loss success." Remember, it was two years ago that I started this journey. I have lost as much at 65-pounds. Actually it's more than that because I have gone up and down around that 180-pounds. Today I am just about two pounds over that target range.

Why have I written "This is weight loss success?" Because I lost 65-pounds, and have to this day managed to keep 60-pounds off. This is a strong, unmitigated success for weight loss for anyone.

Just imagine how many people lose weight, and then regain it almost immediately. I guess it's less than 10% of the people who lose weight and keep it off. They may not regain it immediately, but most people regain what they lose.

Because of this many people think that dieting doesn't work. Oh, it does work, if it's done properly.

We preponderants (people who tip the scale) must realize we eat more than we need to physically survive. I dare say, "It's not what you eat," "It's how much you eat," that matters.

I am not advocating eating sugar donuts three times a day, but, if someone could keep that below the useful calorie intake for the day, he or she will lose weight.

That's right, if 1,500 calories is what your body needs each day, and you only eat exactly 1,500 calories a day in sugar donuts, then you will lose weight. How do I know? Because I have been eating donuts, and cake, and candy, etc along the way. I have lost the weight, and kept it off.

Now, there are better things for us to eat than sugar donuts, of course. I have a tendency to push at eating more protein, and less carbohydrates. I have a tendency to be a strong advocate of the Doctor Atkins's Diet. Yet, even that is hard to maintain after a while. That's because most of us have a sweet tooth. This includes me. And, I can't imagine going my entire adult life without having a big piece of chocolate cake once in a while.

So, what's the alternative? Ummm, I have written this many times before: "EAT LESS FOOD."

Doggone it David, there you go telling me to eat less. Nope, I am not. Go ahead and eat, eat, and eat. We'll see you in the emergency room someday with a heart attack.

Bye for now...

And that's the way it is...I'm David Dane

3 comments:

Lyn said...

David,

Thanks so much for the thoughtful comments on my blog today. You make sense. I have to get my head around some things.

I was going to email you but I didn't see an email addy on your site.

Hope you're well.

cindyay said...

david,

i saw ur comment about matt on escape from obesity; i couldn't agree with you more, in applying it to MY LIFE. like many, i just don't want to budge, don't want to admit how much i need god. thanks for opening my eyes a little. very powerful words, and ur so right, not just in lyn's case, but in MANY ppl's...like me!

cynthia

David Dane said...

Thanks lyn, and 15lbs_down_girl. Your comments are appreciatated.

 Hello Weight Losing Fans,  Today I stepped up onto the Digital Scale weighing in at 208.2-Pounds. My heart is very heavy with pain since my...