Wednesday, October 1, 2008

Why Am I Fat Now? I Don't Eat That Much Food

Hello weight losing fans...

Today I stepped up onto that Magical-Mystical-Digital-Scale weighing in at 182.6-pounds. That's up a tiny bit.

Yesterday I went to the store to buy some stuff. I was in the vitamin section looking to purchase some Stevia sweetener. In front of me was a woman who said oh are you buying this too? I told her that I was because it's one of the safest sweeteners on the market.

From there we transitioned into a conversation about weight loss. I told her that two years ago I had a gut out to here as I motioned with my hands. I showed her the belt that I wear as a token of truth. I unlatched it and pulled it out 11 inches from my pants. Yes it's that long.

She was amazed and asked how much I lost. She wanted advice about how she could lose weight.
I told her that, "I just eat less food."

She came back with, "But, I don't eat that much food." Her friend standing next to me assured me that she really doesn't eat that much, she has watched. Both of these ladies were Butter Balls.

Honestly, this is what I get from just about everyone that I run into. Here is my thoughts now when I hear that, "Oh really, then why do you look like a nominee for the Butter Ball Turkey of the Year Award?" I don't say it, but I think it.

She went on to tell me how she only eats a few French Fries and a half of a hamburger. OH Really, she does?

I am not a medical doctor. I can't do a blood check, and enzyme checks to find out if there might be a physical problem or illness that is contributing to a gain in weight. So, I can't really put a finger on everyone's problem with their weight.

That said, what if I locked you away in a room that you could not get out of? What if I decided to feed you under the door? What if I slipped into your room about 1/2 cup of rice, about 3 ounces of meat, and a cup of green vegetables under your door three times a day? This would add up to about 12 ounces of food. Now, while you were locked up in that room, what if all I gave you to drink was water? You wouldn't get soda, or juice. Oh, and I would give you a multivitamin as well.

Do you think eating that diet everyday, you wouldn't lose weight? You bet your booties you would.
That's because that would be about 1,300 calories to consume, and that's it.

How do I know? This is close to what the American Diabetes Association recommends a diabetic eat for meals. And, when I started out losing weight this is what I was eating. And, today, I don't eat that much more than this because I am sticking to my 1,500 calories per day.

This morning I woke up and measured out a cup of chili and warmed it up in a pot. That alone was 340 calories. Then I carefully measured out 3/4 cups of bran flake cereal. There went 110 calories for a measly 3/4 cups of cereal. I added a cup of whole milk. That was another 150 calories. That was breakfast.

For my lunch, I measured out five scoops of Gold Standard Protein Powder (600 calories). I put this in the blender along with a cup of milk (150 calories). This was 750 calories. I had two tablespoons of a high fiber product for digestion. This product has sugar in it for taste. So there went another 85 calories. Yes, I even look for sugar, and calories in something like Metamucil. Because there is sugar added to sweeten it up.

I am just about out of calories for today. So here it is in the middle of the day. If I get hungry, I have to live with it. It's not easy to do on some days. But, I am better dealing with it now, than I was before.

This is what it means when I say, "Eat Less Food." It means grinding out the daily calorie counts. It means watching everything that goes into my mouth. This is why today I am still hanging out at around 180-pounds.

Bye for now...

And that's the way it is...I'm David Dane

2 comments:

Jake Silver said...

I think for a lot of people they have one component down but not the other. i.e. "eat less" but they don't exercise. Or maybe they exercise but they don't eat right. You can only get away with one or the other for so long if you are trying to lose weight.

David Dane said...

Thanks Jake for commenting

 Hello Weight Losing Fans,  Today I stepped up onto the Digital Scale weighing in at 208.2-Pounds. My heart is very heavy with pain since my...