Tuesday, November 11, 2008

I Am Trying To Get Into An Exercise Routine

Hello weight losing fans...

Today I stepped up onto the Magical-Mystical-Digital-Scale weighing in at 179.6-pounds.
That's up from yesterday. I am just under that 180-pounds.

Hmmm? What has happened? I thought that I was on this downward trend with my weight.
All I can think is, for some reason I just stay here at this weight of around 180-pounds.
I can't figure it out. Oh well....

I have a friend who keeps harping on me to get out and exercise. Ah ha, and it's cold out there. It seems lately he hasn't been able to either, and he's admitted to gaining some poundage as a result.

My friend runs to exercise. I am not talking one or two miles a day. I am talking much greater distances. As a result he's shaved off the pounds. This has been without changing his consumption of food.

I lost weight the other way. I didn't exercise, I cut back my food portion sizes instead. Now, if I did decide to put in a regimen of exercise, perhaps this would put an end to this last 20-pounds I have been wrestling with.

Since I lost the weight that I have, I have noticed my body isn't so tight anymore. When I was in the military, I had a flat tummy, a fanny the girls would ogle at, and nice looking legs, that one woman said looked better than some women she has seen. Well, that's all gone for sure. Oh well...

I didn't get that body though without working at it. And, I worked at it, but not by my own determination. When I was in the army, we were the last of the brown boot army. The training I went through in Basic Training was the same training that the Marines were using. In a nut shell the drill sergeants pounded me into the ground.

When I left basic training every unit that I went to had mandatory training, and exercise. We were still under the threat of the cold war, and the military had a different attitude about preparedness than it has today.

The bottom line was I was in the best shape of my life. I was at 160-165-pounds for years. I was lean. My waist line was a 30-31 inches. It's no where near that now.

Here it is 31 years later, and I am seeing the after effects of my age, the stretching of skin by fat, and the deterioration of muscle.

I am sagging like a wet potato bag. Ouch...

There is no going backwards for sure. However I have been thinking. I am wondering what I can do going forwards?

One of my motivations for losing so much weight (60-pounds) was: I was sick-and-tired-of-being-sick-and-tired. I thought to myself, if I must live for another 30 or 40 years, what is my quality of life going to be like? I was thinking with my knees blowing out, my shoulder falling off, will I be able to work in the future? Will I end up in a nursing facility some day? Will I end up in a camp where they march me away to a furnace because I am no longer use full to society?

And, if you think that thought is extreme, then take a look at planned parent hood, and the number of babies they contribute to butchering everyday. All of which are unwanted human beings. Think about it.

What makes anyone think that on the end of someones life, the ghouls won't take the old people and butcher them? All because no one wants them.

Ultimately, I didn't want to be a contributor to my own demise.

I didn't have any great vision for the future. I couldn't say, today I am going to change for the sake of change. I didn't say; I think I can, I think I can. Bull, crap on all of that positive thinking crap.

I eked out each day. I had a notion that I will try, to lose some weight by eating these paltry trays of food. Don't get me wrong, the little tiny trays of food were delicious, however, they sure weren't satisfying my appetite.

Well, it worked. I can't say that it was some mighty revelation. I can't say that I even really thought that I was going to achieve the weight loss that I have.

Even though common sense dictated that if I ate less food, I would lose weight, I had given up any hope. I tried anyway.

Now, I have this last twenty pounds to lose. Now, I am looking at a tummy and bottom that has some loose skin.

I wrote all that to get to this point: It's time to tone and shape. Yep, I have reached a point where I must exercise. Since I have remedied some of my problems like my knees, I am getting that urge to put the muscle back into play.

I used to run everyday. I did that for years. I used to do sit ups, and push-ups. I could do 100 push-ups many years ago. I could run a seven minute mile. I could do 70 sit ups in two minutes during a Physical Training Test.

My body started blowing out. Yep, my knees went, and then my other joints started going. When I ran, my knees would hurt because of old injuries. My hips would burn, and I would suffer from fatigue.

Now that I started losing weight. My knees got unstressed. More than that, I started using vitamin D. Yep, that vitamin D changed everything.

To think much of my problems I suffered with may have only been related to poor vitamin consumption. Who would have thought this was so? Certainly not I.

Well, I started doing my squats. I would do the little shallow squats. I would do as many of those as I could. Gradually I worked into a complete deep squat. Then I managed to get to 10 squats. I did this over a years time.

Now, I am working on my sit ups. I am trying to get my tummy conditioned to tuck itself in flat, like it did so long, long ago. Sigh....

I do what I call a self assisted sit up. Many people do a full sit up with their hands held behind the head. They peel them selves up off of the floor into a full sit up.

There is much controversy about this kind of a sit up. And, the exercise gurus say that all is needed is to do a partial sit up, or a curl. The thinking is, that lower back muscles get overstressed and can become very painfully sore.
I agree.

This is why I do a self assisted sit up. I do a complete sit up flat from the floor, and use my hands and arms holding onto my lower thighs to assist myself into a complete sit up. This results in an unloading of the stress on the lower back muscles. I then go into a complete sit up. I use my arm strength to pull myself the rest of the way up into a complete sit up.

Today I managed to do 50 of those assisted sit ups. My back isn't experiencing any trauma as a result. Not yet anyway.

When I go home, I am going to do my squats. I am trying to get into a regular exercise routine. I am taking it slow but sure now. I don't want to injure myself.

For sure all of my joints, and bones creak when I do this. I am going to be 50 years old this month, that's a lot of years on this frame.

Number counter when I finished this post today: 7150

Bye for now...

And that's the way it is...I'm David Dane

2 comments:

A said...

"I was sick-and-tired-of-being-sick-and-tired"

Well said. That was part of my motivation for starting to run again. As you regain your fitness through exercise, I think you'll see even more life come into those old bones. Exercise helps fight off depression too.

David Dane said...

Oh thank you resilient hawk. Your eagle eye, and sharp talons of thought inspire me.

 Hello Weight Losing Fans,  Today I stepped up onto the Digital Scale weighing in at 208.2-Pounds. My heart is very heavy with pain since my...