Friday, November 21, 2008

Today's My Birthday; A Long Birthday Message

Hello weight losing fans...

Today I stepped up onto the Magical-Mystical-Digital-Scale weighing in at 179.4-pounds.
That's down. Whew...

Hey, Today's my Birthday. I am 50 years old today.

All Together now, let's sing... Happy Birthday to me (you)
Happy Birthday to me (you)
Happy Birthday dear David
Happy Birthday to me (I mean you)

Oh thank you... thank you.. And I'd like to say thanks to my mother and father for making whoopee to get me... I'd like to thank all my adoring fans...
Oh, I make myself laugh.

Oh, shut-up David, and stuff a piece of birthday cake in your mouth... I will, but it's my fingers doing this obnoxious writing, not my mouth. But thanks for the thought, I think I'll have that cake now... Chocolate please... and put some vanilla ice cream on top... Thanks...

Those Radio And TV Commercials Might Be A Lie
What in the world are you talking about David?
Today I was getting ready to go post my blog. I was listening to something on the radio. A man's voice said, "I have tried everything to lose weight. I have tried fad diets, diet pills, and joined all kinds of clubs. I have tried hundreds of things. Nothing worked until I joined this S...... Group."

That statement is a paraphrase about what I heard. But you get the gist of the message, I think.

It's was a pre-scripted radio commercial designed specifically to suck in that poor dieter that wants to lose weight and thinks, she/he can't.

I tried a few things myself to lose weight. One of the things I tried, and I spent hundreds of dollars on, was a yucky tasting black liquid that was loaded up with ephedra. That was before Illinois outlawed it. Go figure. I live in the land of the Marxist, Fascist. Zeak hail to Governor Blagovich, and King Richard Daley.

Back to my point: I tried things too. I did use some dieting aids, they didn't work. I did do the Doctor Atkins's Diet. With that I did lose around 60-pounds. I couldn't sustain it.

I had given up trying. Yep, I was washed out. I went back and regained 40-pounds that I lost doing the Doctor Atkins's Diet. I gained about 20 pounds a year. I got back up to 240 pounds.

So, If anyone knows what it's like to struggle with his weight, it's me. It was shear disgust, and utter defeat that made me break and try one more time.

You Really Haven't Tried Everything
I am here to tell you that you haven't tried everything.

Let's begin with your mindset. You have to get it through you mind you are probably overweight because you are eating too much food. Yep, that's a fact Jack.
How dare I write that?

Let's also take a look at what you eat. You probably eat mostly foods made from flours, potatoes, starches, and sugars. Be honest, I'll bet you had a donut this morning. How do I know, I used to eat them everyday.

Back to your mindset. You have to accept that you have a problem. I still have a problem. I have to get off 20-more pounds. This is because I have seen table after table, and chart after chart that states my normal body weight should be from 132-pounds to 170-pounds. I am sitting at 180-pounds.

My body fat index is still up in the 25 zone and it should be down below 20 BFI. Go figure.
However, I am quite happy with the progress I have made so far.

Many people have the notion that once they set a goal, and then achieve it, they have arrived. They no longer have to strive to lose that weight. They go back to eating like they did before. This is why 95% of the people regain all the weight they lost, and then some.

NO...you have to decide that you are like the alcoholic. You can't ever take that drink again. Otherwise you'll slip off that wagon. Here is my point. Admit, you are freaking out of control.
What?

Yes, you are out of control. If you weren't, then you wouldn't be running around with that fat slapping on your belly and thighs.
What, how dare you write that?

Come on... I have been there. And, don't think for five seconds, I don't get tempted to quit.
I kind of enjoyed being able to eat one bag of cookies a day... I love Oreo Cookies. Yummm....

Today I heard on the radio someone say that everyone has to have a mentor. No, you have to have resolve. A mentor can't put that resolve into you. No one can. Well, God can.

When I was in the military, I was a mess. I was two inches shorter than I am now. I was a little round ball of jello. The drill sergeants zeroed in on me. Whew... they chewed me up.

I had one drill sergeant tell me he was putting me out of the Army. I had watched some other guys get put out. I didn't want to be put out. So, I did extra stuff on my own to toughen myself up. When the rest of the guys were on a break, I was practicing my marching. When the other guys were up in the barracks, I went out and did some of my own grass drill. This is along with all the grass drill the drill sergeants pounded me with.

I set up a mental resolve to finish basic training. The drill sergeants set a resolve to break me. Now, someone might say the drill sergeant was my mentor. NO, he was my tormentor. He wanted me to crack.

I watched guys cracking all around me. I watched guys washing out all around me. I watched guys crashing from heat prostration. I had a secret. I salted my apples in the morning. I drank a ton of water before I left the barracks. I filled my gut until it swashed inside. Here is why. I only had one canteen of water. And we marched for miles in hot, hot, humid weather with 40-pounds of gear on. It was grueling to say the least.

Buy the way, they don't do that to trainees anymore. They don't dare. It's the new Army. We're kinder and gentler now.

I wrote all of that to say this: NO one can get you to resolve to lose weight. No body can make you finally toss that jelly donut in the trash. No one can make you wake up and eat a couple ounces of meat, or a couple of eggs, and one piece of toast. No one can make you ride out that hunger.

It won't be until you make a resolve in your head, and heart, and then take the necessary actions that cause you to lose weight, that you will lose weight.

If you use a diet pill, what will you do when you get off that pill? What if that pill assuages those hunger pains? What if it gets you down 20 or so pounds? What will you do when you get off that pill?

What will be the effect of taking a diet pill on your body? What will happen to your nervous system? Will you be able to sleep taking it? Or will you be like I was, a bundle of jumping nerves?

What will you do if you get that stomach tied off? Did you know your hunger doesn't start in the stomach? Did you know that your hunger is activated by a lowering in your blood glucose levels? Did you know that your hunger gets activated by your hypothalamus in the brain, not your stomach?

So what if they tie off your stomach? Did you know your stomach will eventually stretch itself? Yes, they can tie it off, and you can stretch it by packing in the food.

Did you know that the jury is still out on what the terrible mental, and physical side effects that stomach by-pass surgery does to people? Doctors already know that many people who get by-pass surgery suffer from malnourishment.

But, you never hear that from that doctor who wants to perform that surgery on you.

I wrote all that to say this: YOU, YOU, YOU are the one who has to control that food consumption. YOU, YOU, have to resolve to get that weight off. YOU, can't depend on any one else to do it for you.

I guarantee beyond a shadow of a doubt: If I locked you in a room and fed you under the door. You would lose weight. Would you be healthy? That all depends on what I would decide to feed you.

However, If you reduced down your food portions. If you monitored your weight daily. If you realized that it's how much food you are eating that's getting you into trouble, and quit eating so much, then you would lose weight.

Again, don't kill yourself losing weight. There are foods out there that you can eat in huge quantities, and still not put on a pound. You can eat all the green vegetables by the cups full, and not gain weight. These vegetables can serve three purposes. They can displace space in the stomach and provide bulk. They can provide badly needed fiber to help clean the stomach and the colon. They can act as a slow release of some sugars into the body that helps reduce a raging appetite.

No one can eat everyday at that buffet table down the street, and then truly believe he/she will remain thin forever. Sooner of later those extra calories, along with the high insulin levels in the blood will take their toll.

Don't be naive and believe those slick radio commercials either. You can lose weight. You don't have to pay some doctor big dollars to get his advice about weight loss. Oh, you can go get a physical. You can see if your blood sugar is OK.

Only, remember something. That doctor has a vested interest in seeing you come back. Yes, he has a vested interest financially in getting you to become dependant on his clinic.
How dare I write that?

My doctor did a physical on me, and wanted to put me on a cholesterol medication. Oh, now the doctors are saying we should be on cholesterol medicines even if we don't have high cholesterol. This is because the Statin drugs prevent inflamation. Hey, take a simple aspirin each day, that will reduce inflammation.

When I lost this weight. My cholesterol sunk. That's right, it went back to normal. Gee, I wonder why?

Could it be that eating too much food overstresses the body? Could it be that constantly having something in your mouth from morning until bedtime, really isn't a good idea? I love hard candy, but do we have to be sucking on them all of the time? Get a baby pacifier for goodness sakes if you think you have to suck something.

Do I constantly have to have a beverage in my hand? Do I always have to have that coffee-latte that costs four dollars? So sorry Starbucks, but you are way too over rated by people.

Years ago, I knew this woman. This is over thirty years ago. She worked in the receiving office. She was always on a diet. She was a little round beach ball. She was pretty, but she was a little beach ball. She always had to chew saltine crackers. She would bring a sleeve of saltine crackers to work, and consume them throughout the day. Did you ever calculate up a sleeve of saltine crackers? There are hundreds of calories in a sleeve. The she would eat lunch.

It's this kind of mentality. Oh, I am on a diet, I can't deal with the hunger, so I suck on something, or I will eat some crackers. It's this kind of constant need to eat that really gets people in trouble.

Granted there are hypoglycemics that have low blood sugar, who must graze. But, most of us graze too much. Then we get fat, and can't figure out why.

Let me give you a real, real easy food formula here. Go to your grocery store. Go to the frozen food department. Buy up a couple dozen Banquet TV dinners. You know what I mean. I am talking about the TV dinners with the 1/4 cup of mashed potatoes, and the 1/4 cup of corn, and the 2.5 ounce piece of hamburger of chicken with some gravy. Yes, I mean those skimpy little meals.

Buy about 30 days worth. Buy enough to eat them three times a day. Each meal is around 250-300 calories. You'll consume around 1,000 calories eating one meal three times a day. Now, throw in an apple and and orange for the day.

I bet, I bet, I bet, by the time you finish that genre of food consumption in 30 days, you'll be down four of five pounds. I know you will. That's what I did.

Here is the toughest part. That hunger you'll get because your body will scream feed me, will drive you bats. Yes, you'll wake up in the middle of the night, and you'll hear gurgle, gurgle, growl. You'll want to eat something.
Suck on a teaspoon of honey, or drink it in your tea. Then go back to bed.

You will lose weight.

Number counter when I completed this post: 7411

Bye for now....


And that's the way it is...I'm David Dane

No comments:

 Hello Weight Losing Fans,  Today I stepped up onto the Digital Scale weighing in at 208.2-Pounds. My heart is very heavy with pain since my...