Monday, October 13, 2008

Fat Parents, And Fat Children... OH MY

Hello weight losing fans...

Today I stepped up onto the Magical-Mystical-Digital-Scale weighing in at 182-pounds.
That's down from yesterday at 183-pounds.

Good, I'm glad. This means all that food I ate two days ago isn't hanging on me as extra fat.


Watching The Fat Children Go By... What A Shame It Is
On Saturday I went to a High School Marching Band competition down in Southern Illinois.
When I watched the various bands going through their routines, I could not help but notice how many fat children there are now-a-days. I am not talking about children who are just a little plump. I am talking about children who are more than just struggling with baby fat. I am talking about children who are fat, as in round like a beach ball.

This makes me wonder. What is causing this obesity epidemic? Why is it that now-a-days not only are the parents big and round, but their children are too?

When I was a child, my brothers, sisters and I couldn't wait to go outside to play. If it was summer, we were outside. My mother would go crazy trying to get us back in the house when the sun went down. We were out in the suburbs just before the area became civilized, and had homes on every block, and streets with cars every where. We would leave the house in the morning and then go out exploring. We didn't want to stay in the house.

Now, you don't dare let your children out of the house for fear they will be abducted. We didn't have video games that preoccupied our every moment of time.
I grew up riding horses and ponies, chasing bugs, and snakes. I grew up playing softball with the neighbor children, and Frisbee with my brothers and sisters. Now that neighborhood is closed in with houses. In my old neighbor, children can't go to the woods anymore because they are owned by the college, and the Nazi Fascist Barney Fife security guards will arrest anyone caught trespassing.

When I was small we went any where we wanted, and there wasn't a problem. We trespassed regularly on other peoples property, and the worst thing that happened was maybe we got chased off. Those days are long gone.

Now a days children aren't encouraged to get out side to play. Oh they can if they get involved in an organized sport. But, don't you dare try to play ball on the baseball field of the local school yard around here anymore. No, they better have a permit. I used to wander around the school with my one friend and no one worried about it. Now, if someone gets caught by any school, and the police think he's a terrorist.

Times are different now. My mom didn't by soda pop all of the time. She didn't have drinks for us to drink in the refrigerator. She had water, and she had milk. When the milk was gone, we drank water. She didn't want us filling up on the sweets.

Now, the parents have the soda, and the drinks ready for the kiddies. Children don't know what water is. I am convinced children are drinking themselves into fatty-hood. Yes, they drink that soda, lemonade, sport drinks, etc., and they have all those hidden calories they consume.

This is true for the adults too. I feel bad for the children. Their parents don't have the God given sense to teach them how to eat. Children grow quickly. They need food and high calories to burn. But, they don't need all the sugar that they consume. They don't have to have all of the processed wheat products that they eat. They don't have to have it.

If I was a parent, and I am not, I would be tempted to be measuring my child's height and weight often. If my son wasn't gaining inches in height, then he shouldn't be putting on the weight. There has to be a balance. I would push my children to be consuming the proteins, and leaving the sweet rolls alone.

I would teach my children that they will spike up that insulin when they keep putting sugar in their system. It's not a good thing to do.

I wouldn't let my child out of the house without first making sure he/she ate something. Yep, they must eat something to start up that metabolism in the morning. If you don't eat then the body reacts by storing fat when it gets food.

I have written that eating less food is the way to lose fat. I didn't write that we shouldn't eat food. We eat too much food. And we eat the wrong kind of food. We drink too many sugar soda's. We eat to may sweet rolls. We eat way to much candy. We eat for a regular meal the food that used to be considered a treat or a dessert years ago.

Sweet rolls used to be a treat. Now they are eaten for breakfast.
Ice Cream was something we ate on the weekend for a family occasion, now it sits in refrigerator waiting to get eaten on a night raid.
Soda was something I used to have to beg and plead with my dad to buy, and my mom refused to buy. Now, soda is something that is every where we go, and children drink at every meal.
Donkin Donuts was something that started when I was a child. My parents would by us some donuts for a treat. Now, the children eat the donuts all of the time.

I am not for the government making it mandatory that people regulate what it is that we eat. But, I see a trend coming here. I am hearing more and more how the state is getting into the middle of child rearing by threatening parents. Parents can't spank the child for being beligerant. They can't admonish their child. They can't punish the child. Yes the government is intruding into the family.

I can only imagine what the government has planned for us in the future as we all continue to gain weight.

Yes, you keep putting on the pounds there. Keep eating until there is no more tomorrow. Let's see what it gets you.

Number counter when I completed this post today: 6354

Bye for now...

And that's the way it is...I'm David Dane

2 comments:

Dinahsoar said...

Same with me...lived outside as a kid and loved it...sodas were rare...milk with every meal for sure...and sweets...only in my school lunch bag...one Twinkie or one Hostess cupcake...didn't eat in between meals either...desserts were rare too...mostly after a holiday meal.

Now I have too many choices and too much variety, move too little and have to constantly work on eating less and moving more...

David Dane said...

Yes, I sympathize with you there dinah. My job is not one that requires a lot of movement. But, it requires long hours. I miss being in an area where I could be outside all of the time. Thanks Dinah for your comments

 Hello Weight Losing Fans,  Today I stepped up onto the Digital Scale weighing in at 208.2-Pounds. My heart is very heavy with pain since my...