Monday, October 20, 2008

I Worked Out Just A Little And Went From There

Hello weight losing fans...

Today I stepped up onto the Magical-Mystical-Digital-Scale weighing in at 181.2-pounds.
That's up from yesterday's weight of 180.6-pounds.

I couldn't post yesterday. I was at work by 5:00 AM. I got home and was wiped out. That's because I woke up so much earlier around 2:00 AM or so.

I exceeded my calorie intake yesterday by 300 calories. This is because I went with a friend to a restaurant and ate a chili dog with a medium French Fries.

Today I did more squats. I exceeded my 75 squats from two days ago. If I told you how many I actually did, you wouldn't believe me. So let's just say I did 75+ squats and leave it there. It's needless to say, I am very excited about this progress.

I wrote before my knees were in bad shape, and I couldn't even do one squat. The pain was unbearable. I kept working at the squats through out these last two years. I started doing very shallow squats in the kitchen holding onto the sink or the back of a chair. I just kept working at it until finally I was able to complete just a few squats. Over time I would do my couple deep squats, and then I added in the shallow squats on the back end. It's taken me this long by being stubborn and persistent to get this far.

So what does it matter if I can do squats? Well, at my age it matters a lot. It means that my heart is in pretty good shape because there are tremendous pressures excerpted on the heart when I press up from the ground level with my legs. All my leg muscles are involved, including the muscles in my back and stomach.

It's important to be able to squat because it means my legs are able to maintain my balance when I walk normally, and when I slip. If I have week leg muscles at my age, almost 50, this means I can fall and injure myself much easier.

There's no guarantee I won't fall, but my odds have been improved.

Here is the Moral of this story: Don't kill yourself. Most people see that they have a problem with weight, and know that they should exercise. Then many people will get excited and jump into exercise by doing too much too soon. The results are they have to fight injuries like over tired muscles, pulled joints, with aches and pains from over excursion. When they find they have to take time to recover, they lose that motivation.

The trick to over come any problems with exercise is to do a little bit over long periods of time. Hey, we aren't preparing ourselves to go into a body building contest. We aren't getting ready to compete in the Olympics. So why train yourself like you are? It's foolish. And, if you were like I was with bad knees, and joints, you could cause yourself to be seriously injured.

I must credit one more thing that I did for this success. I started taking a minimum of 1000 mg of vitamin D each day. This one vitamin has made all the difference with my joints, especially my left knee. When I began taking the vitamin D, in one month I knew something was different. My knee used to swell, and get black and blue behind the joint. When I took the vitamin D, and still do, that black and blue behind the knee began to disappear. I knew I was onto something when that happened.

It took a few more months for the tenderness to disappear. The swelling was going down and the black and blue disappeared. So far it has not returned.

What about my weight? Why should I worry about it anymore because my weight seems to have stabilized here at 180-pounds?

I am not neurotic when it comes to my weight. There are plenty of people who say that I should stay here at this weight. They think that I would look gaunt, or too skinny at 160-pounds.
The height/weight charts reveal a different story. They say for my frame, which is a small frame, I should be somewhere around 160-pounds. I tend to agree. I do have extra fat around my stomach. This area of my body is the last strong hold for my fat reserves.

I am not writing anything different than I did before. I just keep pounding the same drum, and beating the same beat. It's seems like it's old stuff by now. But, if you want to lose weight, you must eat less food. That's the bottom line.

Number counter when I completed this post: 6549

Bye for now...

And that's the way it is...I'm David Dane

No comments:

 Hello Weight Losing Fans,  Today I stepped up onto the Digital Scale weighing in at 208.2-Pounds. My heart is very heavy with pain since my...