Monday, December 17, 2007

We're Selling Away The Future By Over Eating

Hello weight losing fans...

Today I stepped up onto the Magical-Mystical-Digital-Scale weighing in at 181.8-pounds.

That's up 0.6-pounds from yesterday's weight. It's definitely over the record.

I have been hovering here around the 180-pound target for at least a month. I would love to shed those last 20-pounds at the snap of my fingers. That would be dumb.

One of the things I have had to learn to do is treat my weight loss like it's a science project. I have to be curious about how things work. I have to be observant. I have to constantly monitor what I am eating. I have to write down my weight. I have to write down my food consumption. I have to see what the results will be.

This is a science project that will never end. Everyday I have to monitor what it is that I am eating. Everyday I have to write down what I ate. Most days I will weigh myself and write that down.

Right now I am at a family-member's home. There are a lot more things here to chow down on than I keep where I live. I try to keep the stuff I know that I may binge on outside of my residence.

I am like anyone else, if I get tired enough, and hungry enough, I will grab the easiest thing that I can eat.

The Story Of Esau, And Giving Away The Future
In the old testament of the Bible, Esau came back from a hunting trip. He was so exhausted he didn't have the desire to dress out his game that he killed and cook it himself. Besides, he had the mentality that many men of old had, and some modern men have, "Leave the cooking to the women."

He knew his brother Jacob hung out with mom a lot, and that he could cook. So, in his thoughtlessness, and implied laziness, he cooked up a deal with his brother Jacob.

Jacob knew Esau was coming back from the hunt. He knew Esau would habitually throw his bow and arrows into the corner and then yell at Mom, "Hey, what's for dinner Mom? I'm hungry here."

Jacob was ready with the food for dinner, and he knew he could take advantage of the temporary fatigue, and the disorientation of a long day without food.

When Esau came into the tent he smelled that "Good Old Fashioned Home Cooking." His thoughts turned to satisfying that nagging hunger now, and not about thinking of the future.

Jacob was stirring that brew of stew and no doubt acted like he was ignoring Esau when Esau came into the tent. Esau asked Jacob if he could have a bowl of the stew.

Jacob probably laughed a little and initially told Esau, "No you can't." This probably irritated Esau enough to get him to plead with Jacob for some food.

Esau asked for food, and Jacob agreed only if Esau would cut a deal with him. Esau agreed and Jacob hit him with his very cleaver and subtle proposition.

Jacob told Esau, "You can have the whole pot of stew if you want."Imagine Esau thinking, "I can have all that?"

Aren't we like this too, when we get tired and we are as hungry as a baby bear cub, we can only think about how fast we can fill ourselves? Or, how about when we just had a blow out with the family, don't we think we can fill that emptiness we suddenly feel?

Anyway, Esau said, "Sure little brother, what do you want?" Jacob told Esau, "If you'll give me your birthright Esau, you can have this pot of stew." (And doesn't it look so good, and smell so good?)

Esau flippantly said sure Jacob you can have my birthright. In a flash, and with some careless words, Esau gave away his future for a pot of stew.

In a time of fatigue, and a time of hunger, Esau's stomach became his god. Because of that, he gave away what should have been near and dear to himself, and his future family. He gave away his right to a full inheritance from his father. He gave away his leadership position, and he gave away his future.

He did all of that for one pot of stew.

It's much like this today. We may not have the same birthrights that the ancients had back in the Bible, but we do have an implied future. The implication is that we can have a future. That is if we can keep ourselves alive long enough to get there.

And what will that future be? For you I don't know. Having lived as long as I have, I do know that people make judgements about other people based on their physical appearance.

Most people don't like people who are over weight. They view these people as awkward, and as unsightly. I know that doesn't seem fair, but it's the truth.

I know that the body suffers from all kinds of illnesses that are related to being obese. There is type-2 diabetes, there are heart problems, there is high blood pressure, there is cholesterol issues, there are digestion issues, and on and on the list goes of problems.

Time and time again we have example after example of people who have lost weight by adjusting the food they consume. The list of cockamamie diets goes on there too.

Oh how nice it would be for children if parents themselves would get the message about how to properly consume food.

One of the proverbs in the Bible states, "Put a knife to your throat if you are given over to gluttony." That's a pretty dramatic statement.

If you take it apart and realize what its saying, it's pretty much like this, it's better to kill yourself now, than to suffer from the long term effects of overeating. Look around and see the old people riding in carts because they are so large their body can't support them anymore.

How many people are getting sick and dieing because they are overweight? How many people aren't as productive as they could be because they are overweight?

I heard a statistic the other day that floored me. It was stated that it is now estimated that 40-50 percent of Americans are now over weight. This means that there is now over 150,000,000 (150 million) fat Americans out there. Wow...

Let me tell you, in the future there is going to be a much bigger health crisis than there should be.

In this blog I am not writing to 150 million Americans. I am writing to that one person who may just happen to peek in on my blog post for today.

If you've gotten this far with you're reading, I have one more question for you, "What will your future be like if you keep eating like you do?"

EAT LESS FOOD is my mantra.

Bye for now...

And that's the way it is...I'm David Dane

1 comment:

Dinahsoar said...

Good post and good that you are sticking with your plan. So many, and I've been there in the past, get discouraged and give up when the scale doesn't move down when they think it should. As you said, it is a matter of observing and figuring out what will work and staying with it, all the while being realistic.

Also, so true that gluttony is a killer of not only health, but dreams. When our will is driven by our appetite we are in danger.

 Hello Weight Losing Fans,  Today I stepped up onto the Digital Scale weighing in at 208.2-Pounds. My heart is very heavy with pain since my...