Wednesday, July 2, 2008

Doctor Scolded His Patient, Will It Matter?

Hello weight losing fans...

Today I stepped up onto the Magical-Mystical-Digital-Scale weighing in at 185.4-pounds.
That's up from yesterday by about two pounds.

All I can say is I am retaining fluids for some reason. I only ate about 1,600 calories of food yesterday.

The Doctor Scolded His Patient
Yesterday my employer sent me for a physical. I was in the clinic waiting to do a test when I heard a conversation between a doctor and one of the people he was examining.

I had seen this man earlier in the waiting room. He was obviously younger than me. He came into the waiting room after I did. He was there for a follow up visit for an injury.

When I sat in the waiting room I noticed something; everyone was fat. I mean real fat. The woman clerking as the receptionist was over weight. The men that were sitting around in the waiting room were real over weight. The technician who did my physical tests was real over weight.

Now, as I stood there waiting to do this test I heard the doctor tell his patient, "Listen you aren't going to get any better if you don't start losing some weight." He said, "Part of your problem with your body healing is you are at least 60-pounds heavier than you should be." He said, "You are over stressing your frame and your back carrying around all this extra poundage." He said you are way too young to be this weight, and you won't live long if you keep this up."

Whoa Doc, talk about politically incorrect. How dare you tell anyone to lose weight? Don't you know that it's our right to keep eating until we look like balloons? Who are you Doc?

He's right! And I applaud the man for having the courage to tell it straight to someone. More people need to hear they are over weight. More people need to realize they are slowly destroying themselves by eating to the point of obesity.

Here is the problem: We know we are over weight. We feel a sense of quilt because of it. But, we feel overwhelmed and helpless to do anything about it.

We eventually give up even thinking about it. But, like a snake in the grass that's loaded with venom, our neglect eventually uncoils and bites us. We start developing illnesses that are related to obesity. One of which is adult-onset-diabetes.

We develop other problems as well. We over stress our digestive tracts by keeping them working 24 hours a day digesting food. We over stress our adrenal glands by pumping into our systems sugars in the form of donuts, soda, and processed juices.

All the time we believe nothing wrong can happen. Then when we least expect it, we go to the doctor and get the bad news, you're now a diabetic. You now have heart disease. You now have serious digestive trouble.

All this may have been avoided if when we were younger we looked at food as a source for energy, instead of as a source for personal pleasure.

If when we opened that package of Twinkies and were getting ready to stuff them into our mouths we asked, "Hey, is this any good?"

What if when we went to McDonald's we asked, "Do I need these French Fries?"

McDonald's may not like this line of thinking. The cup cake makers may not like this line of thinking. The food processors may not like this line of thinking. But, do we ask am I eating for my health, or am I eating for my pleasure?

I am convinced that part of the problem with people is they can't resist hunger. They can't endure physical pain. I am convinced.

I was reading one blog not so long ago where someone lost a tremendous amount of weight. He was the pride of all the bloggers because he had achieved so much. He was now the go to guy. Well, even he started losing it and regained weight. Even he admitted not so long ago that he began binging on food.
Even he admitted that he blew his weight goal.

I am not happy he had the problem. What I am writing is; did he get so full of himself that he thought he could do anything he wanted, and not have it sneak up on him? Did he forget where he came from?

This doctor that I mentioned earlier had the courage to tell someone he was fat. Do we have the courage to admit to ourselves that we are fat? Have we preoccupied ourselves so much with other distractions that we're blind to the obvious?

How about you? Assuming you have read this far, are you going to admit you are fat? Are you going to admit that you have to lose weight? Are you going to take the steps you need to?

It's this way, let's make it easy: Eat Less Food. That's right, cut down the portions. Eat less of the French Fries, forget the chocolate shakes, give up the chocolate cherries, throw half of your hamburger bun out. Give it up.

What? How Dare you tell me this! I am outraged! Let's see how outraged you are when you have to be wheeled around in a wheel chair. Let's see how outraged you are when you lose energy. Let's see how outraged you are when you develop some illness related to obesity. Let's see your outrage at that.

Don't blame the Doctor bud for telling you the truth. Don't blame me for writing this blog. Hey, I've been there. And, I suffered for my neglect. What about you?

Number counter when I posted: 3711

Bye for now...

And that's the way it is...I'm David Dane

No comments:

 Hello Weight Losing Fans,  Today I stepped up onto the Digital Scale weighing in at 208.2-Pounds. My heart is very heavy with pain since my...