Saturday, July 12, 2008

If It's Green; You'll Be Lean

Hello weight losing fans...

Today I stepped up onto the Magical-Mystical-Digital-Scale weighing in at 179.6-pounds. This is better than yesterday.

Yesterday I was unable to post. I weighed in at 182.2-pounds. The same as the day before.

If you'll look at the side panel, you'll discover that I haven't been at this weight since November 9, 2007. This was a full eight months ago. The time has flown.

Last night I got off of work and came home to step up onto the scale at 178.8-pounds. I knew that the odds were good today I would slip back under 180-pounds.

When I came home, I had not eaten since the morning. I was famished and dehydrated. This wasn't intentional, but I wasn't able to get to the kind of food that I wanted to eat yesterday during the day. I didn't bring any food with me either.

If I am expecting a long day, I usually prepare some kind of food to bring with me to eat at work.
Well, I misjudged and didn't bring anything. When I got home I whipped up a cup of milk and a scoop of chocolate protein powder (270 calories). Then I drank a can of slim fast (190 calories).

What you saw on the scale this morning was the re-hydration of my body from those fluids. Not only that but there was enough sugar (corn syrup) in the slim fast to put a halt to my calorie burning for the night. I know because my test strip went from purple at night, to beige by the morning.

My new objective for Monday it to see if I slip below 179-pounds, and then stay there. I've completely eliminated the carbohydrates from things like potatoes, and breads, or wheat products from my diet.

Instead I am consuming meats like chicken, some bacon, bologna (which has starch fillers), ground hamburger, and off course my protein powder.

Along with this I am using a lot of different vegetables to bulk up my food intake. For instance this morning I was getting ready to go to work. I ate the remaining salad that was in a bag in the refrigerator. I ate the last bit of a head of lettuce as well. So, this was all bulk.

I made myself a chicken stir-fry. I cooked two strips of bacon in some oil. Then I cooked three small pieces of chicken in that fat. I pulled the bacon and chicken out of the oil and left them to sit while I fried in spinach, carrots, celery, and frozen green beans.
I tossed in a table spoon of peanut butter with paprika, oregano, garlic powder, black pepper, and salt. Then I mixed this whole mess together and sat down for a hot lunch.

One of the things that bothers me about losing weight so much is my constant hunger. Someone wrote that you can eat intuitively by gaging your hunger. I can't do that. I have to look at the food that I am going to eat and determine ahead of time if it's a starch, protein, vegetable, or a fruit. I have to determine the calorie count and determine if it will cause me to exceed my calorie count for the day.

One of the things that I use to cut hunger is bulk from green vegetables. I have a saying, "If it's green, you'll be lean."

Green vegetables like green beans, lettuce, spinach, kale, brocolli, and other green vegetables, for their weight don't have as many calories as other foods. They don't have a lot of fruit sugar in them, they aren't really a starch, so they pound-for-pound have a lot less calories.

On the other side, many green vegetables pound-for-pound are loaded with nutrients as compared to other foods.

This makes them a valuable food to be consuming for anyone's diet. They can be used to help bulk up and fill up the stomach without sacrificing those precious calories.

I use green vegetables in my stir-fries. I use them to add bulk to my food, so that my stomach perceives that full feeling.

As a result you can see that my weight has been going down. Remember: "If it's green; you'll be lean."

The problems with greens is many people don't like the taste. This is why I spice them so heavily when I am cooking them. Also, I don't boil my green vegetables, I fry them. That's right, when I pull the meat that I cooked out of the pan, then I leave the fat up on high heat. Next I toss in the raw, or frozen greens. Then I use the high heat to braze the vegetables, and lock in the flavors, along with seasonings.

I think this is why people appreciate Chinese food. They do the same thing. They don't boil their vegetables. They fry their vegetables. Try it, you'll taste the difference.

Number counter when this was posted: 3978

Bye for now...

And that's the way it is...I'm David Dane

3 comments:

Lyn said...

Congrats on the 170's!

I love greens I eat them every day. But watch out David Dane, I make some green creme de menthe brownies that will knock your socks off (they may be green but there ain't nothing lean about them). And then there's that yummy green mint chocolate chip ice cream... If only they were in the salad category. Sigh.

:)

Dinahsoar said...

Way to go!

David Dane said...

Thanks lyn for pointing that out. I'll remember that the next time I am looking at a carton of mint ice cream too. Thanks dinah for you words of encouragement.

 Hello Weight Losing Fans,  Today I stepped up onto the Digital Scale weighing in at 208.2-Pounds. My heart is very heavy with pain since my...