Tuesday, July 29, 2008

Remember: It's "Diet And Exercise" That Get The Results

Hello weight losing fans...

Today I stepped up onto the Magical-Mystical-Digital-Scale weighing in at 176.4-pounds. That's down.

I haven't been able to post these last two days. I have been working, and yesterday I went to Wisconsin and fished. I didn't stop anywhere to do posts.

Well, what do we talk about today? This morning I was driving to work. It was around 10:30 AM. I saw a man jogging without his shirt on. He was on my side of the street and I could see he was around 30 years old. He was breaking a real sweat. Only, I thought, "So what if you break the sweat, you aren't going to lose all of that Jello." Now, this may seem like a cruel thought. However, he was one of the many people that I have seen jogging to lose weight.

This guy had long strips of flab that were jiggling on his back. His face was red like a beat. I couldn't help but think, "Gee, how long has he been doing this?"

I make these funny mental notes to myself as I see things like this. I didn't talk to him. I don't know his history, but I made a judgment about his situation. Based on my experience I was assuming he, like so many others, was running to lose weight.

I don't see anything wrong with running, if you are healthy enough to do it. I do question using running, or any exercise as a form of weight control. Most people don't keep up with their running routines when the weather gets poor.

How many times have we seen commercials on the TV that had a piece of exercise equipment as the point of sale? I remember when the AB FLEX was being advertised back in the 90's. Everybody purchased one hoping this would be that piece of equipment that would give them that tight tummy. I purchased a perfectly useless piece of equipment myself.

When the commercials came on the air, we have seen these hot looking athletes that have supposedly gotten this great body from this piece of equipment. What most people miss is that disclaimer that is written somewhere on the bottom of the commercial. Here is a paraphrase: These results are not guaranteed for everyone. These results can only be achieved with diet, and exercise.

What we mostly miss is that one word: DIET. Yep, we all seem to think if we just exercise hard enough we will get the real tight bodies. Nope, it doesn't work like that.

Get a few issues of muscle magazine and study the body builders. I mean the real ones who don't juice up with steroids. If you will notice, they usually cut way back on the food before they go into a competition. They will increase the protein (IE: Meat) intake, and cut way back on the carbohydrates. The real dedicated body builders won't even touch sugar.
There objective is to burn all that fat from around the muscle so they look cut. It's the only way they can look cut.

Now, many people seem to think they can jump onto that treadmill everyday, or go run a couple of miles out of doors, and they'll look buff.

I can't tell you how many fat girls I have seen around my neighborhood that are out jogging. They too hope that if they exercise hard enough they'll shake off that fat. Nope, it won't happen.

Now, I am not knocking exercise. What I am knocking is the mindset that says, "I can keep eating all that I eat and I'll exercise off the difference."

I do question the mind that thinks he or she can take a severe case of obesity and knock it down to nothing just by running and running, or bicycling from dawn until dusk.

Do people even think about the undo stress they are putting onto their joints doing this? They feel terrible doing it, they work themselves up into a sweat. They will do this routine for a little while and then quit.

This is what usually happens. When these fatties begin the exercise, they begin to increase the energy use. Now, the body says, "Oh, oh, we have increased demand here." As a result the hunger is kicked on. Then the person starts to increase the calories, food consumption, as a result of that hunger. Then suddenly this person finds himself, or herself in a vicious circle. They increase the exercise, then the appetite increases. Then they eat more food.

In the end, he or she ends up quitting the routine with no real gain of life long physical fitness, and surely no permanent weight loss.

Yes, when engaging in that exercise routine, you surely must "Eat less food." Oh, did I have to write that?

Number counter when I finished this post today: 4468
Bye for now...

And that's the way it is...I'm David Dane

3 comments:

Dinahsoar said...

Way to go! Before long you'll be at your 160 goal...

Tony said...

I agree with this post. A combination of diet and exercise is needed to lose weight in a healthy way.

David Dane said...

Thanks tony, and dinah.

 Hello Weight Losing Fans,  Today I stepped up onto the Digital Scale weighing in at 208.2-Pounds. My heart is very heavy with pain since my...