Thursday, December 25, 2008

Christmas Day 2008

Hello weight losing fans...

Today I stepped up onto the Magical-Mystical-Digital-Scale weighing in at 177.4-pounds.

That's not bad. I am still under 180-pounds. I have had a few goodies here and there along the way. This Christmas season hasn't been a big blow out for me with food and junk foods.

I will try to finish this later. I've got to go set up some chairs and peel some potatoes.

Christmas Day Part Two
Last night was Christmas Eve. I am staying at a family members house, and have been helping here and there.

I don't have TV where I live. I simply refuse to get hooked on the Television. Last night though I could not sleep. I turned on the television and flipped through the channels.

I came upon Santa Clause II the movie. This is the episode where the Santa Claus has to find a wife or he can't remain Santa Claus. I recommend renting it, or Netflixing it. Some of it was so funny.

One clip in the movie had me roaring with laughter. Santa had run out of magic. He had to get back to the North Pole because a rouge Santa was making a disaster out of the Ice Paradise the North Pole.

The real Santa was hoping that he could get back to the North Pole on the back of one of his reindeer. When Santa went out to the back yard he found his reindeer Comet lying on his now over bloated body, groaning in pain. Around Comet was trash from opened chocolate bars, and Christmas Candy.

The part that made me laugh so much is the response Comet gave Santa as he was questioned about what he did to himself.

Santa asked Comet, "Comet what have you done?"
Comet, "I don't know."
Santa, asked Comet again, "What do you mean you don't know, look at you?"
Comet said he hadn't done anything.
Santa pointed out all the trash around Comet and said, "who ate all this candy?"
Comet said, "It was a squirrel."
That's when I busted out laughing. Because it reminded me of us, we humans.

Now, I can't write word for word the whole dialogue. Surely it would be tedious to read.

That particular dialogue between Santa and his reindeer Comet brought to mind some things we all have to deal with as humans. We don't want to take personal responsibility for the things we brought upon ourselves.

I am not writing this Christmas Day a sermon about personal responsibility. That would destroy the Mirth of this season. Surely I am endorsing eating today and enjoying the good things we have.

What I do want to ask is this: How did I get here? How did I get over weight? Was it me, or was it the squirrel that sneaks into my kitchen that did this to me? Am I making excuses for this?
What will I do to change this?

That's all. It's Christmas Time. It's the one day we humans put aside to remember the birth of Jesus Christ. If you have ever studied the old testament, you will find that God endorsed celebrating the times and seasons in remembrance of his goodness. Some of those celebrations involved consuming large amounts of food in feasting.

I don't think, (this is my opinion) God is upset with us celebrating a day of feasting. Today would be that day.

What I think happens is we go overboard and keeping feasting like there is no more tomorrows. It's sort of like the "Eat drink and be merry for tomorrow we die" mentality.

Well, what if tomorrow we don't die? What if tomorrow we are alive, but tortured by an over bloated body, and the diseases that follow?

Surely today is a day to remember Christ. Surely today is a day to celebrate with family and friends.

I say eat, eat, and eat... Then it's back to it tomorrow. Yep, it's back to the same grind watching what we eat.

If not, then we are the ones who will find ourselves looking like Santa. There won't be any "Magic" in that.

Have a blessed "Merry Christmas."

Bye for now...

And that's the way it is...I'm David Dane

2 comments:

carla said...

delurking to say I adored this post.

and your approach to christmas this year.

was is funfamilyfilledandchockfulloftreats?

or, when you allowed yourself to indulge, did you want it less?

David Dane said...

Thank you Carla, and yes it was filled with family, and food. I did have plenty of treats. I ate some cookies, pumkin pie, ice cream, and cheese cake. I wrestled with my nephew, and visited with family. It was a nice day for sure.

 Hello Weight Losing Fans,  Today I stepped up onto the Digital Scale weighing in at 208.2-Pounds. My heart is very heavy with pain since my...