Friday, December 5, 2008

I've Been Admonished By One Of My Fans

Hello weight losing fans...

Today I stepped up onto the Magical-Mystical-Digital-Scale weighing in at 181.2-pounds.
As, I reported yesterday, I went to a restaurant and ate a large meal later in the day. Then I went and posted on my blog.

Today I opened my blog to see this comment:
"Why would you do that? Why would someone who is trying to lose or maintain their weight eat like that? When you know how unhealthy all those calories and fat are. I can see, maybe a hamburger and a small fry and a diet coke. Or a small hamburger and shake. I would expect you to make some compromises.
Anyway, maybe you will make up for it in a couple of days.
I really like your blog, it is usually very motivational."

Ummm, Sorry I upset you there. Wow....

All I can say is better I mess up than you.

I am willing to bet you won't find even 1% of the dieters out there that have kept a consistent record of what he/she has eaten and drank for over one and a half years. I have kept a food journal for at least that long. There is a gap there because I lost one of the notebooks I was using last year, and with it went a couple months of records. I went out and got another journal and went from there.

I am willing to bet you won't find 5% of the people out there who weigh themselves at least once a day, and have a record of it. I have a record of my weight for almost two years now.

Not only that, but what I lost from my one journal is in the archives here on the Internet. Where that computer server is that holds these records is, I don't know. But, out there in cyberspace is a record of all my dribble.

And, as for the damage I may of done having eaten a large chocolate shake, I am not worried.

This weight loss gig, diet, or weight loss thing, is a life long process. I do this every day, day-in-and-day-out. I have written also that I am just like you. I have those days where I wipe out. Yesterday was one of those days.

I got up extremely early to go to work. I ate my measly little breakfast. I had a lunch that was just three small thin pieces of bread, one half of a slice of cheese, two small thin slices of pepperoni meat, a chunk of fish out of a finger cup, and a cup of rice pudding.
Bye the time I got off of work, I was absolutely famished. My stomach was raw waiting for food.

A friend and I went to the local hamburger joint. I saw the special for six bucks and ordered it. It was a fairly large meal. I could have stopped there, but my sweet tooth was bugging me, so I had a chocolate shake with some cake blended in. Oh, the evil in that...

To my surprise I opened my blog to find the above comment. Oooops.... I hope I didn't cause someone to stumble there. Argh....

I am just like you. I like the sweets. I like the goodies. I get hungry, and let my eyes and stomach decide for me sometimes what I will eat. I am human.

I guess I should let my conscience guide oh so much better than I did last night. Only, here it is in the afternoon of the next day, and I am already back under 180-pounds. Go figure...

Whew... I guess.

If there is one lesson that can be learned by this it's this: You just never know who is watching.

Who's watching you, and seeing if you are losing weight? Is it your husband, or your wife? Is it a co-worker that's waiting to see if you'll crash that diet eventually? Is it someone who reads that blog post, like I just found out?

Our lives, our thoughts, our actions touch so many others. It's not enough to say, "I am an Island." That's just not true.

You may have started out on a weight losing quest. You may have made up your mind to lose some weight. You might have joined some organization for motivation. You might have struck out on your own.

You may have had some noticeable progress losing weight. Then, all of a sudden the strain of sacrifice became overwhelming, and you threw in the towel.
Finally your giving up resulted in a regaining of all those lost pounds and then some.

Who saw you? Who was being inspired by you, and then crumbled after you crumbled? And, together you and the rest of the crowd can sit around that break room table making excuses for why you can't lose weight.

I can see, someones is watching me. I got admonished for deviating from the course. Perhaps you too would be wise to stay the course, keep at it.

You just never know who is watching. Scary...

Number counter when I completed this post: 7755

Bye for now...

And that's the way it is...I'm David Dane

4 comments:

Lyn said...

David,

Don't let the critics get to you. You have to do what works for YOU in the long run, and if the occasional splurge does not mess up the results you want, what's the problem?

I have had people come and tell me on my blog that I shouldn't be eating certain things. I think what we eat is entirely personal, and unless we were asking for advice, that kind of input is rather presumptuous.

But then again, we all are capable of learning form our mistakes.

Hang in there.

David Dane said...

Thank you Lyn for your comment.

teresa said...

definitely don't let them bother you. you sound like you are doing great and have it all under control. i have been using a food journal too for the past two years. i've actually found an online journal (also free and pretty easy to use). i have been logging my weight everyday (for the record). it's called http://www.nutrimirror.com i've been able to maintain and keep weight off. and i've been just plain and simple eating less.

David Dane said...

Thanks teresa

 Hello Weight Losing Fans,  Today I stepped up onto the Digital Scale weighing in at 208.2-Pounds. My heart is very heavy with pain since my...