Tuesday, December 9, 2008

Quit Beating Yourself Up: Just Change Your Behavior

Hello weight losing fan...

Today I stepped up onto the Magical-Mystical-Digital-Scale weighing in at 178.8-pounds.
That's the same as yesterday. Nah-Nah-Nah-Bloo-Bloo-Bloo to all you doubters out there.

OK, I am only teasing. Oh I know it's hard to lose the weight, and you don't need someone needling you.

I am certainly happy about this. It's not 170-pounds. It's better than I thought would happen considering I ate what I have.

This only goes to show: No one has to starve himself/herself to death in order to lose weight.
No one has to deprive himself/herself of some goodies in order to shave those pounds off, or even to maintain weight.

I keep writing over and over: "Don't kill yourself trying to lose weight."

Sure, you need to reduce down your food portions. Sure you have to watch out for what you eat. Only, most people don't understand, they eat too much food.

In this country we eat because it tastes good. We eat because we need comfort. I don't blame anyone for this. However, it's high time some people realize that food they love so much is the enemy. I'm sorry.

We need food for fuel. We don't need food for comfort. We don't need food to entertain our hands and mouth as we feed all day long every time the urge hits.

We don't have to eat until the empty feeling is gone. I did and look at what happened. I blew up, up, and up.

Well David, how do you get away with what you admit to eating? Oh, I didn't confess what I ate today. I had two hot dogs on buns back-to-back. Each came in at 230 calories. That was 460 calories. Oh, my...
Then I ate a bag full of Trail Mix. By the way this so called "healthy snack food" came in at a whopping 640 calories for one 6-ounce bag. Remember that the next time you think you can eat the whole bag.

Well, David you pigged out. Sort-off... That was my last meal for the day. Yes, I cut myself off eating around 2 PM.

Just to let you know, when I got home after work, I weighed 178.2-pounds. So, maybe in the morning I will be under 178-pounds. Let's see what will happen.

Time and time again, I try to get across this point. You, and I are humans. We, were designed to eat. We must, must, have food and water. God in his wisdom made our taste buds, and intended for we humans to enjoy eating food.

Of course the food manufacturers do things to enhance the flavor of food. They add things to food that cause us to want to eat more food. I can't say I blame them. I can't fault them for enterprising. I can't fault anyone for getting trapped by a food addiction. God knows, I love chocolate. I love giant blueberry muffins.

That being said, or written in this case, there comes a point in time when reality should start to arouse our minds. We should start paying attention when that shirt, or pants get tighter. We should start paying attention when we step on the scale and the numbers tilt.

You know what I mean. Short of there being some illness, what is our excuse for gaining weight?
Mine was my ability to cook a frozen pizza, and then eating it all in one sitting. My was my ability to eat a bag of cookies within an eight hour period. Mine was my ability to buy a quart of ice cream, and then eat that quart. Whew...

Do you get what I mean?

So, what do you do? Well, don't beat yourself up. The damage has been done. The only thing you, or anyone can do is to change the behavior that got us into trouble. Stop eating like there won't be anymore food in the grocery store tomorrow.

And, you don't have to be so dramatic like I was. Yes, I hit the food deprivation trail running. I started eating TV dinners that were only around 250-300 calories each, three times a day. That created mental anguish for sure. Oh, and the hunger I suffered from was agonizing.

Oh, shut up David, you nanny-pooh-pooh-baby. Wah, Wah, Wah you keep crying David. OK...

You get what I mean. I am not here writing this hoping somehow you will buy my story. I have nothing to gain financially from my story. And, I am not trying to develop some loyal cult following.

I am here to tell you the reality. It's not easy to lose weight. If it was, don't you thing everybody would be doing it?

Number counter when I finished this post: 7853

Bye for now...

And that's the way it is...I'm David Dane

1 comment:

A said...

"Quit Beating Yourself Up: Just Change Your Behavior"

Right on! Why do people beat themselves up about anything? Even the guy on death row - will stressing out change anything? In the case of health, it is a long-term issue, requiring long-term diligence, not pity parties, comparing who lost the most weight and the rest of it.

 Hello Weight Losing Fans,  Today I stepped up onto the Digital Scale weighing in at 208.2-Pounds. My heart is very heavy with pain since my...