Saturday, December 20, 2008

Oh, I Wish I Could Write Magical Words That Would Make You Normal

Hello Weight Losing Fans...

Today I stepped up onto the Magical-Mystical-Digital-Scale weighing in at 175.4-pounds. That's just 0.4-pounds over that 175-pound record, and 1.4-pounds over the new record.

Whoo-Hooo...!

OK, so I'm not at 174-pounds like I was yesterday. Should I be descending continuously every day? Perhaps I ought to. My target is 160-pounds after all.

I did something yesterday; I celebrated this little weight loss victory. Someone gave me a couple pieces of Rum Cake, and cookies. It's Christmas Time, and time for the goodies. I froze the cookies, and one piece of cake, then I ate the other piece (380 calories). Yummy...

Oh, how can I do that? How can I eat something with sugar, and it's so filled with those evil carbohydrates? Oh, I had some ice cream too. NO... David how could you? You dirty rat. Here you rant and rave about cutting out the donuts, and sugar, then you had cake and ice cream? That's so wicked.

I have a question: Where have I ever written don't eat a piece of cake? Where have I ever written don't have some candy? I have written don't make it a habit. I have written reduce down the sugar. I have written eliminate as much as you can. It's not going to kill you to have a piece of cake.

I have written time-and-time-again "It's not what you eat, it's how much you eat that gets all of us into trouble."

Golly, God gave us taste buds. He gave us the ability enjoy life. Eating and enjoying food is one of those abilities. Only, we all have a tendency to over do the good stuff. Me, and you, we all do.
This is where we get into trouble.

Don't think for five seconds I haven't struggled. Don't think for five seconds I still don't wrestle with my appetite. I still do. Do I like it? Nope, I don't like it.

I wish I could be like my one friend who eats and eats, and is still thin like a twig. I can't figure it out. In most cases that's rare.

When I was younger I did eat much more than I do now, and I was able to stay at a steady weight. But, I have always had an issue with my weight. Compared to now, I did eat more. Only those days are gone for good. Yep, I am older now. My metabolism has changed.
I have to accept this.

The hard reality is: If you are over weight, then it's a real good possibility you eat more than what you need to survive. There are of course exceptions. But, for most people, they just over eat.

Now, there are tricks you can use to give you the ability to consume more food. Someone can eat more green vegetables, and fruit. These provide bulk, fiber, and the body doesn't get that sudden jolt of sugar from eating a sweet.

Pound for pound vegetables are lower in calories than say a donut. Oh, but that little kid in us starts to turn it's head and say NO. It's a lot more tasty to eat a big bowl of pasta, than it is to eat a big bowl of green beans.

It's a lot more tasty to consume a lot of sweets, rather than some fruit. That's so dull after all.

I know, I struggle too.

I Am Just Like You
Hey, I love Cheetos. I love Potato Chips. I love big cinnamon rolls. I love big bowls of ice cream. Hey, I love everything you do. I like to sit with friends and chow down. I love to drink beer. I love my shots of Rum and Coke. I do too. I love to eat pizza until I burst.

What has it gotten me? What has it gotten you? What has it gotten any of us?
It's got us big butts, and big bellies, that's what it's got us. It's gotten us adult-on-set-diabetes, heart trouble, and other deceases.

It's all because we keep eating, and eating. Then we get into trouble. We aren't paying attention to what we put into our mouths, then one day that snake rears it's head and bites us.

Most Of Us Got Incrementally Over Weight
Suddenly we found ourselves with jeans that were too tight. So we went and purchased new jeans. Then one day those jeans didn't fit. So we got another bigger pair of jeans. Then one day those jeans didn't fit. Then we bought another pair of jeans. Then one day we woke up and didn't feel so good. Then we got the doctor who told us we have a decease related to obesity. Oh my...

Then we got that alarmed feeling. So we decided to change for good. So we joined a gym, or we got a bicycle. Then we exercised like there is no more tomorrow. Then that got old.

We decided to check our blood everyday like a good little boy, or little girl. We watched what we ate so carefully. We lost weight, and those numbers got closer to normal. Then one day we quit. Something happened. We forgot we were fat. We forgot that the blood sugar wasn't so normal. We didn't see the threat anymore. Then we went back to doing what we did.

I know, I have seen this before so many times. I have had the same thing happen to me. I have lost weight before, only to regain it again.

What Made The Difference?
So what's changed? I monitor my weight everyday. I remember the terrible feelings I felt being over weight. I remember that heart felt disappointment when my work pants wouldn't button up anymore. I remember the sore joints, and knees. I remember the high blood pressure, and the cholesterol that began to rise. I remember the look of a pudgy face and body in the pictures.

So what changed? I began to realize this "weight loss thing" is a life long process. I began to realise it's like having having a life long illness that I must constantly monitor. This isn't a goal setting, and accomplishing event. This is like dancing; it's two steps forward, and two steps back.
It's up two pounds, and back down three.

So what changed? I began to realize that it can't be business as usual with my food consumption. I began to realize that I can't eat every time I want to eat. I realised, I couldn't eat everything I wanted.

It's a life long battle this "weight loss thing" is. Many times it feels like I am so alone fighting for myself. I know that struggle.

It's Frustrating, And It's Worth It
Oh, how I wish this were so different for me. Oh, how I wish I could just write those magical words for you that if you said them; poof... you would be at a normal weight. I can't write them. There are no magical words.

It can be frustrating for sure. Why? Because it's so normal to eat, that's why. We have to have food to live. We must eat, or we shall die. Only, how much should we eat? And, why can't I eat what he's eating, or she is eating? Why do I have to feel so deprived?

Golly, I don't have the answer for those questions. I wish I did have answer for you. I really do.

Look around you. Pay attention. Open your eyes. You aren't the only one who has to battle with the weight. Only, you may be the only one who is taking the necessary steps.

It's deeply, deeply frustrating. I kid you not. I have never been so obsessed about anything like food, until I tried to lose weight. Then suddenly food became my god. I was dreaming about it, if you can believe that.

It's worth the effort. It's worth the struggle. I have lost 65-pounds. I have held off 60-pounds for over one year now. My blood pressure is normal. My heart rate is normal. My blood cholesterol went to normal. I look better than I did. Oh, I don't look like a runway model, I wish I did.

It's just better that's all. It was worth the effort and that frustration. Trust me it is. And, you have to realise, one's you get into this "weight loss thing," you can't quit. You can't ever let that guard down. You have to keep on fighting every day.

Number Counter when I finished this post today: 8216

Bye for now...

And that's the way it is...I'm David Dane

No comments:

 Hello Weight Losing Fans,  Today I stepped up onto the Digital Scale weighing in at 208.2-Pounds. My heart is very heavy with pain since my...