Thursday, December 18, 2008

Wishing You Could Lose Weight Won't Get The Weight Off

Hello weight losing fans...

Today I stepped up onto the Magical-Mystical-Digital-Scale weighing in at 175-pounds.
That's at the record for this weight loss season that is just over two years old now.

Well, David what have you turned into, a bulimic? What do you do now, eat those big hamburgers, and sweet rolls, with chocolate shakes, and then stick your finger into the back of your throat to purge the food? There is no way you could be at 175-pounds now.

You are lying to us David...

Nope, I am not lying to you. I was surprised myself when I woke up and stepped onto the scale.

Well, the women would say, "Oh, I have had my ovaries removed, and I have gained weight." The guys would say, "Oh I don't eat that much, and if I could just exercise then I would lose this belly."

I have had people say some pretty crazy stuff when I have told them how much weight I lost. And, it's just a defense mechanism because they feel a sense of shame.

Listen... There is no shame to it. If you are over weight then just face the fact. Say, hey I am over weight. I have a family member who completely denies he's over weight. He says he's fine where he's at.

I am different. I know what it was like to weigh 160-pounds. I remember when I averaged between 160-170 pounds. When I gained more weight I suffered.

One thing I struggled with was sky rocketing blood pressure. A few years ago my blood pressure began going up over what is said to be normal. My heart kept beating way up over 90 beats a minute. Many times my resting heart rate was at 100 beats per minute.

Something had to be done. I had been thinking about losing weight for a long time. I had been talking about it for a long time. I had been wanting to lose weight for a long time.
I had actually decided to lose weight. Only, none of that got the weight off.

Wishing, hoping, praying, wanting, believing, writing goals, making New Years Day Resolutions, being positive, doesn't do anything to get the pounds off.

Shutting your mouth and refusing to over eat gets the pounds off. Yes, that's it in a three word phrase: "Eat Less Food."

Oh, it's the same thing every time. Can't you say, "exercise like a fool?" Can't you say do the exchange program? Can't you tell me something else?

Well, yes you can do something else. You can do exercise. You can eat vitamins, and minerals. You can try those weight loss pills. Only, it's really just a matter of having more fuel than the body needs. Too much food, and the body has to figure out what to do with it. It just stores it as fat. That's it. It's not rocket science.

And, what does it mean eat less food?

Well, limit yourself to the number of calories you consume each day. Here is an example:

  • Breakfast: 3-ounce sausage patty, 1/2 cup fuit cocktail, slice of wheat toast.
  • Lunch: 3-ounce thin slices of beef stuffed between bread that has been cut in half, orange,
  • Dinner: 3-4-ounce chicken breast with tomato paste on top, small bread roll, fruit cup of mixed fruits.

That is what I mean by eating less.

Now that's not fun for sure. Well, what do I do on Super Bowl Day when everyone is eating chips, pretzels and beers. Well, Eat a fistful of pretzels, and drink a couple beers, the quit.

Oh, that's not living. That's not fun.

I know... But, you got yourself here by eating like tomorrow won't ever come. Now, you have to do something to fix those errors.

It's not easy. Who said it was. I had to stop eating yesterday after lunch. I had hit 1,500 calories for the day. By the time I got home from work, I was hungry for sure. I went to bed hungry.

That's just the way it is. I don't like it. I wish it were different. But, it is what it is. I can't fix it.

Bye for now...

And that's the way it is...I'm David Dane

1 comment:

Pamela said...
This comment has been removed by the author.

 Hello Weight Losing Fans,  Today I stepped up onto the Digital Scale weighing in at 208.2-Pounds. My heart is very heavy with pain since my...