Sunday, December 14, 2008

You Will Always Have To Watch What You Eat

Hello weight losing fans...

Today I stepped up onto the Magical-Mystical-Digital-Scale weighing in at 177-pounds.
That's down 3-pounds from the 180-target, and 2-pounds over my record.

Now David, you are lying again. How could you be down to 177-pounds? Haven't you been eating extra stuff? Haven't you cheated? We don't believe you.

Well, I changed the menu a bit. I started eating more protein, and reduced down the carbohydrates a bit. Last night I got home from work and was famished. I ate one piece of bread with two tablespoons of peanut butter rolled up inside. Then I had a couple ounces of wine. This pushed me 150 calories over the 1,500 calories for the day. Perhaps this morning I may have been less. I don't know.

Are You Still Struggling With Your Weight?
Today I was asked if I still struggle with my weight. This was from a woman who is the wife of my friend. We have known each other for many, many years.

This woman has always been thin. She's tall around 5'11" and has a thin, lanky build. Even after having children her body snapped right back to being lean.

I wouldn't expect her to know how hard it is to maintain a normal weight. Her body does it automatically regulating a normal height weight ratio.

For me, and for many who are overweight, our bodies don't automatically consume the food we put into our body like a jet engine consumes jet fuel.

Ours are the bodies that instantaneously store that sweet roll in a package on our butts, or tummies.

Ours are the bodies where a greedy little man sits inside and hordes our food stuffs like a miser hording gold, and silver. He takes our foods and stores it in our fat vaults. Then he refuses to give it up when we call for it.

No, we aren't so fortunate as she, my skinny friend. That said, we have to come to the realization that we are constantly in a struggle to lose weight and to keep it off. I call it the never ending "Battle Of The Bulge."

I don't expect the more fortunate in our society to understand this. You really shouldn't either. I have written this before. No one lives inside your body except you. It's you in there, not them.
Although if you could hear the voices that fire off in my head, you would think there was someone in there with me. I guess I could call it my imagination.

I have to go, so I will finish with this. It's not easy to lose weight. It's not... Recently Oprah admitted she's regaining weight. Now, if the goddess of money and fame is having a hard time, what makes anyone think it's any different for us? It's not.

I didn't wake up 60-pounds lighter all in one day. And, I am not just automatically staying at 180-pounds either. I am in a continuous mode of alertness regarding what I eat. I write everything down. I write and I write. I know what I consumed.

And, if you are like me, then you'll have to realise that you too will have to be in a constant mode of food watching alertness. Oh, you'll have those days when you go over board. But, it's the over all disposition, and habit of watching, and building an ability to say no, that will make you successful. I do say NO. I do cut myself off. I am watching to see what will happen.

It's a constant monitoring of this one event called eating that I am so good at now. It will have to be the same with you. And, it never, never, never ends. It will be that way for the rest of your life.

I'm sorry if that bothers you. But, try to think about it like monitoring your business, or your check book. You're always watching the cash flow. You try to balance the money in, and money out.

Eating is the same thing. You're trying to balance the in, and the out. The in is the food, and the out is you losing some weight. In this case you're trying to prevent a surplus of fat, not a surplus of money.

Bye for now...

And that's the way it is...I'm David Dane

No comments:

 Hello Weight Losing Fans,  Today I stepped up onto the Digital Scale weighing in at 208.2-Pounds. My heart is very heavy with pain since my...