Sunday, January 18, 2009

Don't Start That Diet, You'll Only Be Frustrated

Hello weight losing fans...

Today I stepped up onto the Magical-Mystical-Digital-Scale weighing in at 181.6-pounds.
Oh, the shame...
My fans must be devastated...

I'm not.

Years ago there was a song Sherry Lewis sang at the end of her puppet show.
The lyrics went something like this:

This is the song that doesn't end
Yes it goes on and on my friend
Some people started singing it not knowing what it was
And they'll continue singing it forever just because
This is the song that doesn't end

Today I was thinking about some things that I have been reading on blogs lately. I have been talking to some of my friends as well. My one friend lost a lot of weight, and has regained some.

On one blog I was reading that person didn't want to have to watch every mouthful of food inserted into the mouth for the rest of her life.

As I contemplated what I was going to write today that song above kept playing in my heard.

I am like you. I wish I could wake up in the morning, grab the box of cereal in the cupboard, then pour out a big bowl full. I would love to fill up the dried cereal with enough milk that the cereal rises to the rim of the bowl. Then I would love to dive my spoon into that bowl of cereal and eat it without thinking.

I would love to wake up in the morning and make a big stack of blueberry pancakes. I would love to smother them with butter, and syrup. I would love to eat them until I were stuffed.

I would love to go to the local hamburger joint, order a large, thick, juicy hamburger, and French Fries, along with a chocolate shake. I would then wish to eat that meal until I am stuffed.

I would love to be able to forget about my daily logging of food. I would love to give up my daily weights, and meticulous calorie counting. I would love to forget it all.

I hate having skimpy, wimpy, breakfasts with one or two eggs, a bit of cheese, a piece of bread, and 1/2 cup of fruit.

I hate having to walk past the chocolate counter at the super market, and know in my heart, I better not buy that chocolate bar, because if I do, by sundown it wouldn't exist in it's current form. I will have eaten it.

It seems to me, that I have watched many people embark on a weight reduction plan, only to see them eventually burn out, and then quit.

This brings me to my song:
This is the diet that doesn't end
Yes it goes on and on my friend
One day I started doing it
Counting Calories, and weighing in
Just to lose some weight just because

This is the diet that doesn't end
Yes it goes on and on my friend
One day I started doing it
Not knowing how hard it was
And I'll continue doing it forever just because

This is diet that never ends.

Yes, it's the diet that never ends. One year from now, if I am still alive, I will still have to watch every bite of my food, or slurp of my drinks. Ten years from now, if I am still alive, I will still have to continue to watch everything I eat, and I drink.

It's because this is the diet that never ends.

I have first hand experience with a family member who throughout her life put on, and lost the pounds. She has now officially given up and quit. She is gaining weight, and straining to walk, and keep her energy up. She claims she doesn't eat that much food. Well, I beg to differ with her. I watch what she eats, and how she eats. She eats big bags of chips, and big bowls of ice cream.
She is old, and she is lonely. I can't fix that for her.

I can't fix your problems either. No, that's your cross to bare. I will tell you.
Once you start that diet, and begin to lose that weight: "It's the diet that never ends."

Don't start one if you aren't serious about making progress. You'll only end up terribly frustrated.

Bye for now...

And that's the way it is...I'm David Dane

No comments:

 Hello Weight Losing Fans,  Today I stepped up onto the Digital Scale weighing in at 208.2-Pounds. My heart is very heavy with pain since my...