Monday, January 19, 2009

Read The Man Who Lost 180-Pounds

Hello weight losing fans...

Today I stepped up onto the Magical-Mystical-Digital-Scale weighing in at 181.8 pounds. That's up.

Yesterday I was wandering around the internet and was reading different blogs. I wandered back to one web blog writer who I had taken down because my thinking was he wasn't posting anymore.

Well, I found out he is posting, only he took down his weight loss blog. His blog led a circle around to this blog or web page:

Jimmy Moore: a man who lost 180-pounds.

My Experience With The Doctor Atkins's Diet
Years ago, around 2002 I embarked upon the Doctor Atkins's Diet. I was about 260-pounds. I went on a low carbohydrate, and high protein and fat diet. I shed 60-pounds. I went down to around 205-pounds.

I thought that the Doctor Atkins's Diet program was wonderful. It was a great diet, that is only if it can be maintained. I like so many others thought that I could eat large amounts of meat until I was full. Initially that was true.

Something happened that surprised me. I actually reversed course doing the Doctor Atkins's Diet. In fact my body did a switch on me. I couldn't do the diet, and keep off the poundage.

I used to use a strip for urine analysis. It's called a Ketosis Stick. This stick is used to find Ketones in the urine stream. I used those strips to see if I was in Ketosis. If the strip turned purple, it meant I was in Ketosis, and I was supposedly burning off fat.

I used to turn the strips as dark a violet color as anyone could. Even so, I still kept gaining weight. I went weeks without any carbohydrates or sugars, and kept turning the strips violet.
I also didn't lose a pound more fat.

I eventually gave up and went back to my old ways. I was done dieting, I couldn't keep eating meat everyday for the rest of my life. I craved things like donuts, and apples, and other things.

My Doctor Atkins's Diet days came to a close, and I regained 50 pounds in about two years time.
One day I lost my balance and fell down a staircase backwards onto the pavement. I almost killed myself in the process. I was top heavy, and my knees were in bad shape, this resulted in my loss of balance.

A few days after that incident I woke up at 2 AM in the morning on a Thanksgiving Day. I had to be at work by 4 AM. I couldn't button my uniform pants up. I was in sad shape, and almost in tears from frustration.

I embarked on another program of weight loss. This one was far harder to do than the Doctor Atkins's Diet. I couldn't eat all the meat, and fat I wanted to. Now, I had to restrict my caloric intake.

This is where I am today, I am a calorie counter. I lost my weight not by using the Doctor Atkins's Diet, but by restricting my total calorie consumption.

I don't have a problem with using the Doctor Atkins's Diet. I am not even critical of this man that I am linking to. I will say this: It's very hard to continue eating meat, and small amounts of carbohydrates for all the rest of your life.

I kid you not, there is sugar in just about everything we consume. If someone is in phase one of the Doctor Atkins's Diet program, he/she must, must, must stay below 20 grams of carbohydrates. It only takes two teaspoons of sugar to blast those 20 grams out of the window.

In this day and age, no one can be sure in what concoction of food that 20 grams will be in. It may be in some coating on meat, or even pumped into the meat as a flavor enhancer.

In other words staying consistent on the Doctor Atkins's Diet isn't easy.

If you are like me, then the day will come, you will want to eat a big piece of birthday cake. If someone is on the Doctor Atkins's Diet, that's a real no-no. No, you can't eat a big piece of birthday cake doing the Atkins's Diet. You can't eat big pieces of anything sweet doing the Atkins's Diet.

I do. I eat giant pieces of birthday cake. I also have enough sense to leave everything else alone once I do.

There has to be balance in life. My thinking is if you want to be a carnivore all of the days of your life, then have at it. I can't anymore.

I also think that eating too much of anything isn't good for me. I don't think it's a good idea to let a couple pounds of meat and fat sit inside of my colon waiting to leave while it stinks up the insides. That's my opinion.

Go check out that above link if you want to learn more.

Bye for now...

And that's the way it is...I'm David Dane

2 comments:

Jimmy Moore said...

THANKS for the link to my "Livin' La Vida Low-Carb" blog, David! Being on the Atkins low-carb lifestyle has become "normal" for me over the past five years since I lost 180 pounds on it. It's my permanent and healthy lifestyle change dedicated to making my health and weight manageable instead of the out-of-control state it was in when I weighed in at 410 pounds in 2004. While it may seem like you "give up" lots of foods such as birthday cake, the fact of the matter is you don't miss 'em once you start this plan, follow it exactly as Dr. Atkins prescribed, and then DO IT. Millions of people are enjoying the benefits of livin' la vida low-carb and will be for the rest of their long and healthy lives. Thank you again for the link and I wish you well in your journey!

A said...

Very impressive story, David. I have just 15 lbs left to lose, and a disciplined control of my intake is key.

I'm not sure I would ever not miss cake. Happily, a long run, for me, eliminates some of the impact of carbs.

 Hello Weight Losing Fans,  Today I stepped up onto the Digital Scale weighing in at 208.2-Pounds. My heart is very heavy with pain since my...