Tuesday, January 20, 2009

Watch What You Eat

Hello weight losing fans...

Today I stepped up onto the Magical-Mystical-Digital-Scale weighing in at 181.2-pounds.
That's down from yesterday.
OK...

Yesterday I went wandering around in the local book store. I was looking around just to see the books I wanted to buy, but decided not to. I was book window shopping.

I went wandering by the the row of diet books. I saw that the Atkins Nutritional Books were down to only about 5 available books, and one Atkins Nutritional Approach Kit. Above that was some of the South Beach Diet Books. Those too had only about 5 books left. Around those books were many more books related to dieting. Many of which had the words Low Carbohydrate, or Low Carb in the title.

I couldn't help but wonder how many people have caught onto the Low Carbohydrate Diet. It seems everyone has jumped onto that wagon. Why, it's been very successful for many people?

For years Doctor Atkins was scorned because of the Atkins's Diet Revolution. Then when it was discovered that fat people can lose huge amounts of fat on the diet and not die in the process, other doctors and authors hoping to make a name and money jumped onto the Low Carbohydrate Wagon.

There are still many Doctors, and authors who are stubbornly sticking to absurd diets that no one can follow. An example is the Blood Type Diet.

Here is my thought on all of that. It doesn't matter which diet program someone decides to embark on. He / She will soon find out that diet will have restrictions on food consumption.

My experience has been my diets: All diets come down to "food restriction."
With all diet programs a certain amount of discipline has to be administered.

I am not saying I agree with all the diet approaches out there. There are many that I think are insane, and virtually impossible to follow.

As I have written before, I did the Atkins Nutritional Approach. I lost 60-pounds. Only I regained 40-pounds of that back. Had I not taken action when I did, I would have gotten back to 260-pounds in short order.

Now, after having read some more material related to this Diet, I am reminded that it's my fault for daring to over eat those carbohydrates.

As I have written many times. If anyone hopes to lose weight he / she will have to learn to watch every bite of food put into that pie hole. Oh sorry....

When I left the book store last night I had purchased two books. One was a book written by Ann Colter. (Oh how dare I?) The other was a new calorie, carbohydrate food counter. I was going to bring the book with me in the library, only I left it in the front seat of my car.

I will comment on it tomorrow. I have to organize my thoughts to make them cohesive.

In the mean time I will bring you back to reality. You and I didn't get over weight for no reason at all. All actions, over eating, have a reaction, in this case getting fat. Those are the laws of physics, and chemistry. I didn't write them. I only proved they hold true.

No one pinned me down on the floor, then inserted a funnel, and poured the food in. The same is true for anyone who has gained weight. There was a cause. In my case, I ate more than I needed to survive, and maintain a stable weight.

Now, if someone decides to count calories, like I did, he or she will have success losing weight. If someone decides to reduce down to almost zero their carbohydrates in proportion to the fats and proteins, he / she too will have success losing weight.

The dynamics are the same. Our bodies need energy. When the glucose levels in the blood stream go down, the body looks for more. It gets it glucose from the readily available sources in the stomach, or it strips that glucose out of the fat reserves.

The end results are the same. Weight loss is achieved.

I keep writing this: "Eat less food." Oh ouch... It's that same boring, nagging three word phrase. Oh David can't you come up with something else?

Yes, "Watch what you eat."

There it's different. It requires discipline. It requires changing those old habits. Eventually it means a whole life style change.

I am not hoping to be profound. I am only espousing what I have read, and what I did to achieve my success.
My hope is that if there is someone out there who has given up, you will change your mind, and have back at it.

There are many, many people who have lost weight. Many have lost much more than I. They have also managed to keep it off. In the case of Jimmy Moore, he's kept his weight off for five years now. That's super-duper for sure. I wish there were many more like Jimmy.

Perhaps you will be the next one.

Bye for now...

And that's the way it is...I'm David Dane

No comments:

 Hello Weight Losing Fans,  Today I stepped up onto the Digital Scale weighing in at 208.2-Pounds. My heart is very heavy with pain since my...