Saturday, August 4, 2007

Still At 190-Pounds

Hello weight losing fans...

I am posting on my blog today from Twin Lakes, Wisconsin. It's a small three-horse-carriage town just North of the Illinois border line.
I am in a very small community library that is set up in a store front just off the main road. If I blinked driving through the town I would have missed it completely.

Today I stepped onto the scale weighing in at 190.4-pounds. I was the same yesterday morning.

People Are Astounded
I am up at a Catholic retreat center. Today I was talking to two nuns who were curious about where I was going. I told them I was going to town to post on the Internet.

They wanted to know what I am writing about on the Internet.

I told them that I have a weight loss blog.
I told them that I was out to here, and motioned with my hands around my tummy. I put my hands out about six inches and told them this is how far out my belly was. They looked surprised. I told them that I have lost 50-pounds. One nun said, "You don't look like you were ever over weight."

They were surprised, and wanted to know what it was I did to lose that much weight. I told them that I prayed for wisdom and got the answer. I said I figured out how to eat less food.

One woman asked me if I used pills. I said, "I didn't use pills, or a diet club, or any surgery." I said that I did it on my own. Then the other nun said, "Wow that's hard to do."

Well, of course it's hard. It's hard to lose weight. It's hard to give up food. It's hard to be conscious all the time about my food consumption. It's hard.
I never wrote that it would be easy.
Well I couldn't finish my conversation with them, so I left to go to town.

My Friend's Friend Told Me He Had Stomach Surgery
Last night I was visiting a friend of mine. He was telling me that someone he knows well from our church had that stomach-by-pass-surgery. He said that the man lost a lot of weight. He said the reason the man used was because he was over 300-pounds. Here is what's sad. Now his wife is considering having the surgery too.

What? Is that all. This man who is six feet tall was three hundred pounds and because of that he needed to have his guts cut up? That's it?

This man only had to lose 100-pounds. That's all, and he couldn't do it on his own? Well, said my friend, "He has a lot of stress in his life dealing with the teens." What did people do before there was stomach-by-pass-surgery?
How did they deal with the teenagers then?

Here is what really galls me. I have lost 50-pounds. Before this I managed to lose 60-pounds doing the Doctor Atkin's Diet. I regained 40 of those pounds. Now I have lost 50-pounds and am sitting right on the 190-pound mark. When I have reached my target weight, I will have lost 90-pounds.

Here is why I am agitated with this story. It's because I lost 50-pounds by reducing the amount of food that I consumed. I am sitting here posting on my blog, and guess what, I am hungry?

I have stress on my job. I work the wackiest hours imaginable for a human being. I kid you not. I work 80 hours a week. (I am not getting rich because of it.)

I control my food consumption.

Here is a man and woman who are roll models for teenagers. These folks are supposed to be an example how to live. Then this guy goes and does something bone headed like getting stomach-by-pass-surgery because he can't control his appetite. Oh that's a great message to send to teenagers.

It's like this: "Well, we're going to tell you to live like this. We're going to tell you to have self-control. But, since we can't do it, we had to have our stomachs altered." What sort of message is that?

This was only so someone could lose 100-pounds? It's nuts.

What ever happened to personal sacrifice? I guess it's gone. It's gone even among the people who really should know better. What a shame.

Another Real Life Example
I have another cousin that I was talking to the other day. She used to be a vivaciously beautiful woman. She got old, and she got fat. She is obese.
She had here stomach tied with a band to reduce her stomachs total size.

It worked for awhile. She lost 15-pounds. Then she regained the 15-pounds and more. Why? It's because she never reduced down her food portions. In the beginning she was forced to reduce her food portions because if she didn't she would throw up.

In time her stomach stretched out. Her stomach stretched out some more, and as a result she could eat more and more food. Since she was eating uncontrolled again, guess what, she gained more weight?

I asked her if she would do the surgery again. She said no. Then I asked if she would recommend it for anyone else? She said emphatically, "No." She said, "It doesn't work."

Why didn't the doctor tell her that before? It's because these doctors don't have a clue what they are doing to people. They are just as lost about weight lose as anyone else.

Getting by-pass-surgery is no solution for losing weight. Eating Less Food is the proper weight loss solution.

Don't think for five seconds anyone has a quick fix solution for a problem that was in development for years. That problem is we all over eat. Some people under eat. They too have something wrong with their eating habits.

Well, if I can't eat a diet pill, I can't use a diet club, and I can't have stomach surgery, how can I lose weight?

EAT LESS FOOD. That's all.

What, who the heck are you to tell me to eat less food? What do you know David? Well, I have tried many things. The most productive thing I did to lose weight was to eat less food.

I weigh myself in the morning. I record that weight. Many times I weigh myself at night. I record that weight too.

When I eat, I record the kind of food that I have eaten. Then, I try to figure out how many calories I consumed in that meal. Sometimes I can't calculate the calories, but I write down what I ate. This way I have a record.

That's what I do. When I hit a certain amount of calories I cut myself off for the rest of the day.

Do I get hungry? Yep, I sure do? Do I get frustrated? Yep, I sure do. Do I wish I could eat, and eat? Yep, I do.

But, I found out that losing weight was worth it. I can look straight down and see the tops of my feet. I couldn't do that seven months ago.

I don't huff and puff walking up and down the stairs like I did.

I look better than I did.

It was worth the sacrifice. It was worth being hungry. It was worth the frustration that I felt. I can't describe how much better I feel.

If you want to lose weight then read my blog. What makes me the expert? Well, I lost 50-pounds without anyone's help but God's.

I will tell you, "For goodness sake quit whining, and eat that giant donut already." What? Yep, I have.

I add that big donut to my calorie count. If I go over that calorie count then I am done eating for the rest of the day.

That's how I do it.


Bye for now...

1 comment:

sunniegirl1967 said...

You look great! God is good, but whether or not you really need to lose another 50 pounds... I don't know. Like to hear back if you feel like it.

 Hello Weight Losing Fans,  Today I stepped up onto the Digital Scale weighing in at 208.2-Pounds. My heart is very heavy with pain since my...