Wednesday, November 14, 2007

Never Going Back To Where I Was

Hello weight losing fans...

Today I stepped up onto my Magical-Mystical-Digital-Scale weighing in at 182.0-pounds.
Hmm? That's up a little over two pounds over my record.

Well, I am not out that 180-pounds range. I keep pushing back up over it. And it's only because I have been eating well. I am not writing that I am pigging out. It's just I have been up over 1,500 calories a couple times this week.

My Custard Ice Cream in the waffle cone pushed me over the limit two days ago. Yesterday I broke even after consuming two cans of light beer at 110 calories a can of beer.

And I am not sweating here because there are many people who seem to believe I look fine where I am now. That said, I have been looking at the BFI charts. Based on my frame, which is light, I should go down another 10-pounds, or so. This is attainable, but there just isn't any rush to get there right now.

I am going to have to figure out at what calorie count I should be at just to maintain my weight without gaining or losing anything. That is going to be tricky.

I am used to limiting my calorie intake. I have learned to take the hunger in stride as part of the weight losing process.

Mentally Preparing To Live "The Life Long Battle Of The Bulge"
One of the hard things for me to accept when I embarked on this weight loss adventure was that I have to continuously stay at this "weight loss thing" for the rest of my life. That is as long as I still have my wits about me.

I put that in quotes because many people who don't have to try and lose weight haven't got a clue what I was doing. I have heard people ask me, "Are you still doing that weight loss thing?"

Well, yeah I am still doing that weight loss thing. And, for all the rest of my days I will have to be doing that "Weight Loss Thing."

My problem before was I didn't realize I had to be at the "Weight Loss Thing" for all the rest of my life.

I can't ever let my guard down. I can no longer go back to eating those over sized McDonald's Meals day in and day out. I can't go back to eating a large candy bar without a care in the world about where it will end up on me. I can't go back to those large bowls of Ice Cream at night before I go to bed.

Never again will I be able to stop keeping records about what it is that I am consuming. Never again will I be able to go months without stepping up onto my scale.

Never again will I be able to go to the buffet and eat three or four plates of food day in and day out. Never again will I be able to eat until, "I feel full."
Never again.

Those days are over. I have to live with that.

I also get to live with the benefits:
  • I have more energy
  • I run up the stairs without holding the hand rail and then chugging slowly up the stairs
  • My blood pressure dropped into the basement back to where it was years ago
  • My heart rate has dropped 40 points at rest
  • My blood sugar is down
  • My cholesterol is down 45 points
  • I sleep better and fuller at night
  • I wake up easier
  • I don't feel like I am dragging my fanny around all the time
  • I jump up and down without wincing in pain
  • I have an over all better feeling about life. It still sucks, but it's improving
  • Yeah, I have to eat less, but somehow I feel better for it
Yes, I had to deny myself. Yes, I still deny myself.
I have to keep my guard up all the time, 24/7, and 365 days a year.

It's worth it. I tell you it's way worth it. I forgot how good I felt being a light weight. I forgot how I used to run like a bunny around the blocks. I forgot how good feeling thin was.

I don't know why I forgot. I won't forget any time soon how awful it felt getting old and fat. It stinks.

Being preponderant was it's own disease. Being preponderant effected the way people looked at me. It effected the way people treated me. It effected my outlook on life.

It's hard to get those pounds off. I kid you not it is. It's not going to be easy to keep them off. Oh, I am sure I will eventually figure out those habits to keep the pounds off. But, I can't ever forget those habits, and I can't ever stop practicing those habits.

EAT LESS FOOD is my motto. This is the only sure way to get those pounds off, and then keep those pounds off.

How much is right for you? I don't know the answer. You'll have to figure that out.
But, it's a sure bet that if you are even just ten pounds over what you should actually weigh, you are eating too much food.

EAT LESS FOOD. Lose the weight. It's for you. It's not for your wife, your kids, your neighbors, or you boss. It's losing weight for you.

You are the one that will be living with you, one day from now, one week from now, one year from now, and ten years from now. It's for you and no one else.

Bye for now....

2 comments:

Dinahsoar said...

Until you are ready to loose the next 10 pounds, a good place to start with your maintenance calories is to multiply your body weight by 10...that will give you the amount of calories it would take to maintain your weight if you were in bed 24/7....at 180 pounds that would be 1800...assuming you don't stay in bed all day, that you are out and about, moving, and even exercising, the multiplier goes up...usually 12 if your daily activity is light...so at 180 that would be 2160 calories...and so on....

I'd go up to 1800 from the 1500 and see what happens...if you still loose then I'd go up to the 2160...if you find you're gaining then I'd drop it in 100 calorie increments...back to 1700...etc.

You've come a long way and achieved so much!! Congratulations.

Jake Silver said...

I suspect you will lose the last ten and maintain it because you have the right idea about always doing "the weight-loss thang". I also made that same mistake and I won't be repeating it.

 Hello Weight Losing Fans,  Today I stepped up onto the Digital Scale weighing in at 208.2-Pounds. My heart is very heavy with pain since my...