Tuesday, November 13, 2007

I Ate Custard Ice Cream In A Waffle Cone

Hello weight losing fans...

This morning I still don't have my Magical-Mystical-Digital-Scale. I don't know what is is that I weigh today.

I don't have commentary for now; maybe later if I can get to a computer.

I am going to get my weight when I return home. It won't be official, but I will get an idea if I have started heading up the wrong way here.

I have eaten real well the last two days. I even had a big waffle cone filled with custard ice cream yesterday. The flavor was Apple Crumb Pie. That was empty calories, but that cone was oh so, so delicious. Yummy....

I am not into to depriving oneself of the goodies in life. I am into resisting the urge to consume every goody we can get our sticky little fingers on and putting them into our mouths like mindless children.

I Am At The Library, So It's Part Two
I was visiting a family member for the last two days. I didn't have my weight scale with me. I didn't have any way to weigh myself. Oh she has a scale, however it's one of those scales with the needle, and I don't trust it. Before I could even step on it, the needle was at five pounds.
That's hardly a scale that I think I can believe or ascertain if it will be near correct.
I have no way to calibrate it with weights so I avoided the thing.

When I returned home I did weigh myself. I stepped up onto the Magical-Mystical-Digital-Scale weighing in at 184.6-pounds. This was the middle of the day after having eaten breakfast, lunch and drinking fluids.

When I was visiting I was working on my blog yesterday. I was posting a long commentary when suddenly for no reason the desktop switched to a page I had reduced. When I clicked back to the page I wanted, everything I wrote was gone.

I didn't feel like writing everything all over again. So I finished up my post and went else where on the Internet.

I tried to recreate my commentary below.

Be Careful What You Drink
This topic may be elementary to anyone who has a brain in their heads. Then again it may not be elementary. It has to do with those calories in the things we drink like juice, soda pop, coffee lattes, chocolate shakes, some of those vitamin waters, and especially those energy drinks.

Last week I was getting breakfast from one of those self serve breakfast bars in the lobby of a inexpensive hotel that I was at. (That is if you can call $90.00 a night inexpensive.)

Anyway, I was next to some guy who had a Styrofoam cup in his hand and was dispensing orange juice into it. He filled the cup to the brim and immediately swigged it down while standing there at the machine. He put the cup under the dispenser again, filled the cup with orange juice, then swigged that cup down. The third time he filled the cup to it's brim, and walked off with the cup squeezed in one hand, and a plate of food balancing in the other. (I was thinking that's rude.)

I was also thinking about how many calories he just consumed just standing there at the orange juice dispenser. Each Styrofoam cup was about eight ounces. Eight ounces of orange juice is at least 130 calories. And this is totally dependent on the kind of sweeteners that may or may not be added to the juice. If it was natural orange juice, then he drank 130 calories with every eight ounces. If he was drinking orange juice that was sweetened with corn syrup, then he may have been consuming as much as 180 calories per cup. Ouch!

Let's just say he drank three cups of natural orange juice, then he consumed 390 calories of orange juice.

What's the big deal? Isn't orange juice loaded with vitamin C, and isn't it healthy for us? Well, yes if that's his only source of vitamin C, I guess it's OK. However, he would have gotten all the Vitamin C he needed in one cup.

How many times do we drink juice, milk, alcohol, coffee lattes, and other sweetened drinks without ever stopping to think about how many calories may be in that liquid?

If someone eats all the right things all day long but then insists on drinking liquids that are loaded with sweeteners like sugar, corn syrup, and other sugars like fructose, he/she is defeating the purpose of a careful diet.

I know for myself I lost five pounds in six months just by giving up regular Coca-Cola. That was years ago. However, my point is this; when we do our food journals, are we writing down the liquids we are drinking? Or, are we taking for granted that just because it's a liquid it can't have that many calories?

It may seem elementary, however, I am beginning to see more people who don't seem to think twice about ordering a huge Coca-Cola at lunch or dinner. I see people order huge glasses of orange juice for breakfast. And I wonder do people even think about how many calories they are drinking down?

I was at a gas station and saw some young man buy one of those large cans of energy drink. It was a 24-ounce can. It was loaded with all kinds of things like caffeine, herbs, and corn sweetener. I went to the refrigerator and looked at the same product. The can was supposed to be two 12-ounce servings. Each serving was 225 calories. This means that can had 450 calories in it. I couldn't believe it.

I thought whoa, what an energy drink. I can guarantee that man drank that whole can in one sitting. Here is the weird thing about it, a 12- ounce can of Coca-Cola is only 150 calories. This energy drink had 75 calories more per twelve ounces than a twelve ounce can of Coke. Go figure...

Now, no one is going to put that company out of business for selling a can of sugar water. I don't think anyone should. However, I can't help but think this will add to the future epidemic of Obesity that is rearing it's ugly head in this country, and around the world.

I am not hoping that our wonderful government officials will save us from ourselves by banning companies that make colored sugar water. I am hoping that people will get sick and tired of being fat like I did, and then do something about it.

I am hoping that parents will wake up and realize they must teach children what they should and shouldn't eat to stay reasonably healthy.

It's easy enough to figure out, but hard to implement. Here is why, no one wants to give up the sweets, and their precious food. It's hard to stop eating when the Hunger Monster, the Compulsion Monster, and the Neurotic Monster make their appearance.

Right now, I am posting and I am hungry. I am trying to think while my stomach is hurting.

It's not easy to deal with the hunger. I can go home and eat because I have calories left to spare.
But, many times this isn't the case. Will we ever develop the will to say, "No, I don't need more food?"

I can't answer that. Only you can.

Bye for now...

No comments:

 Hello Weight Losing Fans,  Today I stepped up onto the Digital Scale weighing in at 208.2-Pounds. My heart is very heavy with pain since my...