Saturday, November 17, 2007

Losing Weight On 2,600 Calories A Day?

Hello weight losing fans...

Today I stepped up onto the Magical-Mystical-Digital-Scale weighing in at 183-pounds.
That's up over three pounds.

I knew that was coming because I ate a small steak last night.

It's OK, I ain't gonna kill myself here trying to lose weight.

Today I have a relative over and she's making Chinese food. That means trouble for me.
We are having family over and it's going to be pig out time.

The Fat Man Says He's Losing Weight With 2,600 calories.
Yesterday I was talking with a man where I work who currently weighs 350-pounds. He claims that he was more than that. Yes, he literally looked like a round beach ball.

He has been attempting to lose weight. And by the looks of it he's been somewhat successful. I can tell he's lost some weight. He was actually up around 410-pounds before.
This was on a man who only stands 5 food 8 inches tall.

As I was talking with this man, he was telling me that he is counting calories. Hmm? He was telling me that he is consuming 2,600 calories a day. That's more than I can even begin to wish to consume.

I am truly dumbfounded with the idea that this little fat man can lose weight consuming 2,600 calories per day.

I asked him what he used to eat to gain all of the weight. He said that he consumed 5,000 calories per day before.

It's a wonder he's still alive. He says that he's now losing weight and that his goal it to be 230 pounds. OK, that's great. However he's a short man and he should be at 150 or less pounds. He has a heavy frame, but still 230-pounds is too much for him.

I walked away from that conversation baffled and wondering if he isn't lieing to me, and for that matter himself.

We do that to ourselves. We lie and think that there are no consequenses. Well, I can't figure out his situation. I can't figure out how anyone could lose weight eating 2,600 calories a day.

If this was me, then I would be a balloon.

Bye for now....

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

The bigger you are, the more calories you need to maintain your weight. So a 350 pound man needs more calories to stay at 350 than a 250 pound man needs to stay at 250.

If you read up on Basal Metabolic Rate and the Harris Benedict Equation, it will explain what I'm talking about.

For example, at my starting weight of 292, I needed about 2900 calories per day to stay at that weight. So even I would have lost weight eating 2600 calories a day. Now at 160, I can maintain my weight at just under 2100 calories. If I ate 2600 calories a day now, I'd be back where I started in no time...

Jake Silver said...

Maybe he works out a lot?? I dunno. I recently found out my Cortisol levels were Ultra Ultra high and that's why I have to consume the 1500 calories per day to lose weight. I think.

Anonymous said...

I am a 315 lb 22 year old hypothyroid female and I'm losing weight on 2600 a day and no exercise. Weird but true. Heavier people need more calories to maintain their bodies.

 Hello Weight Losing Fans,  Today I stepped up onto the Digital Scale weighing in at 208.2-Pounds. My heart is very heavy with pain since my...