Monday, June 9, 2008

Exercise To Lose Weight? How About Eating Less Food?

Hello weight losing fans...

Today I stepped up onto the Magical-Mystical-Digital-Scale weighing in at 186.4-pounds. See, I told you I am full of the ......... stuff. (You know what I mean.)

So, what's up with this sudden change? It was excessive fluids, and ......... with little bits of corn.

OK, enough of that David, you grossnick....

The other day I went shopping at one of those big discount grocery stores. I happened to find on sale some Banquet TV dinners. They were 15 boxes for $10.00. In this era of rising food prices I jumped at the chance to purchase them. It's a shame I don't have more room in my freezer, or I would buy more today before the sale ends.

These little delicate meals measure in at around 400 to 450 calories a meal. It, of course, depends on what it is I decide to eat. Let me tell you there isn't much food there in that little black tray. Today I had a chicken patty meal. It consisted of a breaded chicken patty, some cream gravy, about 1/3 cup of corn, and about 1/3 cup of mashed potatoes. This was the whole meal.

Honestly, it's not enough food to even start to cut my hunger. In addition to the TV dinner I microwaved up a cup of mixed vegetables. This added about 120 calories to the meal. But, it helps to add bulk to my meal.

I like the TV dinners because they bring me back to a cold hard reality. This is the reality: "Those food calories add up real quick." Especially when I consume starches like potatoes.
I get to look at this skimpy, wimpy meal and think to myself, "That's really just about all I can realistically consume, and still lose weight."

And, unfortunately for you my reader, you too will have to face up to that same cold, hard reality. If you are going to lose weight, then you really have to "Eat Less Food." Ugh... I hate it too.

Now don't think that today I have played completely by the rules. Early this morning, at around midnight, I could not fall asleep. I made the mistake of drinking a cup of coffee in the early evening hours, and that wired me up.

There I was awake and sitting by the patio window watching a torrent of rain coming down. It was wonderful to see and feel, because it took the mugginess out of the air. It smelled so fresh. I love the rushing sound of rain, and the lightning.

Anyway, I was feeling really rumbly in my tumbly. I was flat out hungry. So, I went to the refrigerator to see what might be left inside there. Oh, ho, I saw them sitting there. You guessed it. I had some giant cookies that I had wrapped in plastic, and before now had the will power to leave alone. This morning, I cracked. I grabbed one of the 3 inch diameter chocolate chip cookies.
I took it out of the plastic and put it onto the food scale. I looked in the food guide to see that this hulking cookie was 485 calories. That's right, on that scale was one meal for anyone one person to consume.

I can't believe I ate the whole cookie. I am so ashamed. NOT....!
Well, at least, I'm man enough to admit my sin... Oh, I make myself laugh.

Honestly, I thought what the hey, I've been crashing this long, what's one more day? I'll start over tomorrow. Only, there's still a few more of those cookies sitting in the refrigerator.

My friend and I were discussing my regression in my weight. He seems convinced that I lack the proper strenuous exercise. Yeah, sure....

How about I lack a roll of duct-tape to cover my mouth with?

Exercise has it's purpose. It should be used to condition muscles, tone muscles, and if anyone has enough testosterone, build muscle. However exercise can't replace that one essential element in weight loss. You got it... Quit eating so damned much food.

My friend, who was advising me, has been running to lose weight. He's been very successful shaving off the pounds. He also runs for miles and miles everyday with his work out. This was something I used to do years ago. Now, it would kill me dead. You think I am kidding.

When he was running last year, he was very successful shaving off the pounds, until he stopped running, then the pounds piled back on. Why? It's because he never adjusted down his calorie consumption to match his lack of activity. His body took the unused calories and put them on his now reconditioned body as fat. So, here he is again with the fat, and back out running like a scared rabbit. Miles, and miles he goes. When he eventually stops, if he doesn't cut way back on those calories, he again will see the return of the winter fat.

Like everyone else he wants to keep eating, and eating. It never occurs to any of us we eat way more food than we really need to survive.

At each meal we don't need much more meat than about 4 ounces. We don't need much starch, a piece of bread will do. If not we can get away with about half of a potato. And we can eat all the green vegetables we want, but that's not much fun.

For someone like me all I can realistically expect to eat is around 500-600 calories per meal, and lose weight. Oh, yes and exercise. Argh.

Did you ever see that rusted tin man in the "Wizard of Oz?" He couldn't move because he rusted up after a rain storm. Well, that's about how I feel these days when I exercise. Darn... It hurts.

Save me from the pain....

Well, I am going to shove off here. I have blathered enough for the day. I think you get the idea behind what I have been writing. You're just going to have to quit consuming so much food. I did, that's how I lost 60-pounds.

Bye for now...

And that's the way it is...I'm David Dane

2 comments:

Dinahsoar said...

Yes---about 600 calories per meal would put you at 1800 calories a day...that should put you in a range to lose and not be so hungry.

Sounds like you are getting back on track...we all get weary of the whole process and need a break...you've had your break, and now it's time to bite the bullet again, which you are in process of doing now.

No real damage done...it's normal to gain a little when you increase your calorie intake. You'll be back to 180 in no time...staying there is the trick.

Life is too short to obsess about a few pounds.

David Dane said...

Thanks dinah....

 Hello Weight Losing Fans,  Today I stepped up onto the Digital Scale weighing in at 208.2-Pounds. My heart is very heavy with pain since my...