Wednesday, June 18, 2008

A Fist Full Of This, And A Fist Full Of That: Those Unintended Calories

Hello weight losing fans...


Today I stepped up onto the Magical-Mystical-Digital-Scale weighing in at 185.8-pounds.

Today I was sitting in the kitchen playing my guitar. I saw this large metal can that's been sitting in the kitchen since Christmas. I was given this large can of flavored popcorn as a present. I left it sealed and it just sits unopened. It's Carmel corn, cheese corn, and some other flavor of corn. I turned the can over and looked for a calorie count.


The label said: 1 serving-1/4 cup-140 calories. This 1/4 cup is about one-closed-fist-full of popcorn. That's not a lot of popcorn.


It makes me wonder how many people would have opened that can and chowed down not knowing that with 10 fists of popcorn they would have consumed almost 1,500 calories of food.


Isn't this the way it is with everything we eat? Someone will give us a can of Carmel corn, Tostitos, potato chips, or any other snack food, and then we chow it down. We don't even consider that in that small bag may be our meal.

It only takes blind eating, and fists full of this, and then fists full of that to add those missing calories to our diet that make us blow up like Good-Year-Blimps. It only takes drinking some sugared up lemonade, or iced tea, or cans of soda, to add those missing calories that cause us to become nominees for Porker-Of-The-Year.

Blind eating, and blind drinking...by not paying closer attention to what it is that we eat, we set ourselves up for that fat farm.

I'm so sorry that I have to be so blunt about it. But it's true. We don't have any idea what we are doing to ourselves.

Yes, it only takes just a little bit of extra food to push us over the edge. Then one day we'll wake up and see our clothing has shrunk. Then we have to buy more clothes.

I have a lot of blue jeans. I have at least 10 pair that I can't fit into properly. It's because now they are way too large. They fit on me like potato sacks. Some of the jeans are still new with labels on them. I have to give them away or try to sell them at a garage sale.

If I had been more convinced before that it really was just a matter of watching my portion sizes, maybe I wouldn't have gained the weight back when I lost it before.

This is really what it's all about when it comes to maintaining our weight. It's the portion sizes.
If we think we can keep eating those hefty meals everyday, then we are only fooling ourselves.

We really don't need a Jenny Craig, or some other diet food company to prepare meals for us. We can do our own food portioning.

We only need about three to four ounces of protein per meal. We really need more vegetables than we usually consume. We can get away with two or three cups of green vegetable per meal.
We can't eat all that much starches like, bread, potatoes, chips, etc. Those portions of starches better be small, especially if they are processed, because they are loaded with calories.
We need some fat.

Over all, we don't really have to have the size portions of food we have all become so accustomed to eating. We have to cut back. If you are intent on losing weight, perhaps you'll have to cut way back.

Bye for now...

And that's the way it is...I'm David Dane


Bye for now.

No comments:

 Hello Weight Losing Fans,  Today I stepped up onto the Digital Scale weighing in at 208.2-Pounds. My heart is very heavy with pain since my...