Tuesday, June 24, 2008

Obese, Or Just A Fat Cow? Which Sounds Better?

Hello weight losing fans...

Today I stepped up onto the Magical-Mystical-Digital-Scale weighing in at 183.4-pounds. That's up one pound from yesterday.

Two days ago a friend of mine, a woman, asked me how did I lose so much weight? She asked me what she could do to lose weight like I did. In her own words she said she's a "Fat-Cow."

Part of her problem was she was a long time smoker. She managed to quit smoking. Hurray! Since she has an addictive personality, she went from one addiction to another addiction: FOOD.

I told her the reason she's gaining weight is because she lost her appetite suppressor, which was the cigarettes. Food also tastes better now because she doesn't have the cigarettes masking the flavour of food. So, she's been troubled by two real physical phenomenon that is associated with cigarettes. Then the third issue is her need was, and still is, psychological. She has to have something to comfort herself. The food is her comfort.

Since she quit using the cigarettes, she has gone from this slender woman to what she would call a "Fat-Cow." Yeah, better that than emphysema at 60 like my dad suffered with, and died from.

I wrote a page of instructions for her. These instructions are pretty much what I have been writing in my blog.

It begins with a personal admission that I am overweight. "I am a fat cow." Now repeat that to yourself five times a day. The only way to discover this fact is to be objective, vs being subjective. There has to be a standard to measure against. The standard is a certified weight and height table. This is the only way any one can be realistic about what constitutes being overweight.

And so far, I haven't found any height and weight charts that have a "fat-cow scale." They have a range that called OBESE. Honestly I don't know which sounds worse, Fat-Cow, or Obese.

See that lady over there? She's Obese!
See that lady over there? She's a fat-cow!

Which sounds worse to you? They both seem insulting in sound.

Here let's really put some zing in the insult. Hey lady...You fat-obese-cow.

Off the topic of this woman, my cousin weighs in at 114-pounds. Last year I weighed her at 115.4-pounds. That was with her clothes on. She will tell you she is fat. NO, she's not. But, because she has the typical stretching marks that woman experience after having children, she thinks she looks fat.

This is typical of many woman. They are subjective about their weights, based on appearance.

Back on topic, this woman I wrote the page for has admitted she's overweight. Only, it's based on physical appearance. She hasn't even looked at a chart to see what a reasonable weight for her physical body is.

She may only have to lose 20-30 pounds. This might put her back into the range of a reasonable body weight for a woman with her physical build. She is what I consider a heavy build for a woman. I can look at her wrists, and the ankles, and see they are thick. Her hands are not thin and petite like many woman's are. She is actually what I would consider a woman who would be normal in around the 140-pounds range. This is because she has the heavier bone structure.

Now, how much weight should she lose? I don't know. But, it may not be as much as she thinks.

And for her to not look at her weight loss practically, and totally objectively, is a poor way to judge herself.

Next I wrote that she has to begin monitoring her weight everyday. Yep, some people would say that's so discouraging to do. It's only discouraging if you take losing weight personally. I don't take my weight loss personally. Many people do though, especially woman.

I made a whole list of instructions for her, to include; only attempting to lose one-pound a week. Any more may mean she is losing muscle mass. Losing muscle mass only makes it worse. This might mean she could be effecting her heart muscle, and other vital organs.

Will she make an honest attempt to lose weight? I don't know. I can't speak for anyone else. And, I have learned, most people don't care one wit what I have to share about losing weight.

I have a successful weight lose program for anyone to follow. Here it is: "EAT LESS FOOD."

There, ya-gotta-love-it.

It's not easy to do. I kid you not, my obcession with losing weight has been a full time process. Yes, I am even dreaming about it at night. It's so weird.

Number counter when I posted: 3515

Bye for now...

And that's the way it is...I'm David Dane

No comments:

 Hello Weight Losing Fans,  Today I stepped up onto the Digital Scale weighing in at 208.2-Pounds. My heart is very heavy with pain since my...