Wednesday, June 25, 2008

Your Body Responds To What You Eat

Hello weight losing fans...

Today I stepped up onto the Magical-Mystical-Digital-Scale weighing in at 183-pounds.
That's down from yesterday. It's still 3-pounds over my maintenance target of 180-pounds.
That's not so bad.

I have so much that I want to write about lately. I don't have enough time to do it. It's because of my schedule. I have been working long days, and many days without time off. Ugh...
I have to slip into the library when I can.

Yesterday I wrote about a woman who told me she was a "Fat Cow." Those are her own words. Like her, I keep running into people who want to lose weight. They complain to me that they are gaining weight. They can't face up to the real truth that they are gaining weight only because of one thing: They eat more than they need to survive.

This seems to be the common thread of every person I talk to. They are gaining weight. They don't like what they see in the mirror. They don't like how they feel. Only, even though they have all this bad news showing up with their own bodies, they really don't want to do anything about it.

Here is why, they have to give up their food. (I mean voluntarily.) Yes, they have to give up the jelly donuts for breakfast. They have to give up the super sized French Fries. They have to give up that big hamburger everyday. They have to quit eating those bowls of ice cream late at night.

Yes the thought of cutting back on our food for many people is a frightening experience. It's an arduous decision to make, and then put into action. Keeping oneself on a specific program of food consumption for a long period of time is hard. Most people don't have the self discipline to do it.

And I see this with people from all realms of life here in America, and with many people from other countries too. I see it with people who should really be watching their weights, that is the military. People are getting fat, and fatter.

This isn't any great revelation. It's all over the news now. A day doesn't go by that we don't hear something about obesity in the news. A day doesn't go by that some "Do Gooder" on the news doesn't suggest that the government should have laws for we the fat people.

Hey, the government can't make you thin. All the government can do is take your money by force, take your property, and steal your rights.

You have the right to eat what you want. You have the right to eat until your heart's content. Only, are you abusing yourself in the process?

Why should we wait for some Nazi bureaucrat to decide that the local Ice Cream parlor should be closed down? Why should we wait for someone to pass a law that only certain people can eat ice cream? I kid you not, it can happen.

Disbelief Is Part Of The Problem
Many people who struggle with their weight are filled with disbelief. They don't believe that their being overweight will ever cause some future health problem. I've seen this with my family members who are now diabetic.

When I was in the military, I had to maintain a certain weight. If I didn't; I could get flagged from reenlistment. I did get flagged. This seems so unfair. But, being in the military is actually a very physical job. I had to be thin just so I could do my job.

(By the way, today the military would take me in a heart beat, and ship me off to a war somewhere.)

I had to maintain my weight. I had to make a continuous effort to shed unwanted pounds. When I left the military, that all changed. Now, I hadn't completely given up on the idea that I should keep my weight off. I did fill up with disbelief that I could ever do anything about it.

Because of my disbelief, I began gaining weight. I didn't believe that I could do anything reasonable to lose weight. I had watched my mother who was in a weight loss group most of her adult life fail. I had gotten the idea that writing down a menu of food consumption, daily weight monitoring, and food portions, didn't work. This is because I had seen someone that was so close to me fail in her attempts to lose weight.

I like, so many people, had been indoctrinated by the poor commentary from the news, "Diets don't work."

As a result of the bad press, I had become filled with disbelief. Well, I found out that many people who say they want to lose weight never really tried. Let's face the truth here. If you don't have a serious health issue, like diabetes, a tumor, or Cushings syndrome, or something that actually causes weight gain, then what is your excuse?

If you have a normal heart beat, and aren't seriously ill, then what is keeping you from losing the weight? I'm not scorning you. I am trying to get you to ask yourself the same question. Why are you gaining weight?

What has filled you with disbelief in your situation that you don't want to remedy it? I can't get into your head. You have to get into your own head.

One and a half years ago I was 240-pounds. Today I am at 183-pounds. If you'll look at the side bar, you'll see I've gotten lower than that.

I was filled with disbelief. It took some dramatic events to stimulate my thinking and make me wonder if there isn't something reasonable that can be done about this weight? I asked the question, and began exploring for an answer.

Here is the answer to your weight: You eat too much food. That's it period.
Your body is responding to the amount of food you keep putting in your mouth.
Your body is responding to those little pieces of candy you keep popping into your mouth throughout the day.
Your body is responding to those late night bags of popcorn.
Your body is responding to those big glasses of soda pop.
Your body is responding to those big glasses of juice with lunch.
Your body is responding to that cake for dessert last night.
Your body is responding to that big juicey steak for dinner.
Your body is responding to every little bite of food or drink that you put in your mouth and swallow.

The only way you aren't going to get fat is if you are being some neurotic that sticks his/her finger down throat to vomit up your food.

Now that's a gross thought. Only, you are doing something to yourself that will eventually catch up to you. You are stressing your body out when day-in-and-day-out you over eat. As a result the body reacts. You, nor I, get to pick the results we are going to get when we continuously eat, and eat.

Yes, you're fat. Now, are you going to admit that it's no one's fault but yours? No one stuffed you with food. No, one told you eat that 12 inch sub sandwich. No one told you to drink that big shake. No one made you eat all that food at the company picnic.

Oh, that's right, you don't eat that much? Are you sure you don't eat too much?

Number counter when I posted: 3547

Bye for now...

And that's the way it is...I'm David Dane

No comments:

 Hello Weight Losing Fans,  Today I stepped up onto the Digital Scale weighing in at 208.2-Pounds. My heart is very heavy with pain since my...