Monday, October 29, 2007

It's Not A Good Idea To Puff Up With Pride Because You Lost Weight.

Hello weight losing fans...

I don't have my weight for today, because I don't have the Magical-Mystical-Digital-Scale with me.

Yesterday I was at a close family members home, and I am here now writing this. One of my in-laws was there and was amazed at how much weight I lost. She was congratulating me. The temptation was there on my part to feel a sense of pride at having accomplished something.

Well, losing weight and getting to where I should have been ought not to be a situation that puffs up the pride. It's because I never should have let myself get that big in the first place.

I can honestly say that I didn't do it deliberately. However, be that as it may, I did the things I shouldn't have done to get myself up there in the obese category.

What's that you say? Yep, I did the things that I shouldn't ought to do. I OVER ATE FOOD.
I ate more food than I needed to survive.

If you are over weight, even by just ten pounds then you are over eating. The consequences can be devastating to the human body.

Now, more than ever people are developing type-two-diabetes. This ravaging disease destroys the nerves, effects the immune system, increases heart related diseases, and a whole host of other disorders that accompany it.

And, it's mostly because we over eat and spike up the insulin levels time after time, day after day.

In this country today, no one who has half of a brain can say, I don't know. There is book, after book, after book, about losing weight.

There is report after report that tells us that we are becoming over weight as a people.

Now, I have heard that it is only because we are sedentary. Many people seem convinced of that.
Well, that's only part of the problem.

I have seen beach balls jogging up and down the street with waves of fat shaking on their round bodies huffing and puffing away. I have seen woman who have the fat gelatinous legs, and thighs, but narrow skinny upper bodies running and trying to lose weight.

All these people who are overweight start out with the best of intentions at losing weight. Eventually they quit when they find that exercise isn't accomplishing what they thought it would.

And, it's really very, very hard to embark on an exercise routine when carrying around 40- pounds of extra weight. This extra weight helps excerpt pressures on the body that strain the joints in the legs, the heart muscle, and the back.

I have tried to run and excercise while being over weight, and it really is hard to get such a big mass into motion and to keep it in motion. It was hard to engage in a regular excercise routine and keep it going.

I am not convinced that excercise and our sedintary life styles is the reason we are over weight. I am convinced it's because we are over eating. We eat more than we need to.

Excercise shouldn't be the main source at burning calories. Excercise should be used to condition the muscles of the heart, and the body, and to help strengthen the bones and joints. Excercise also helps the body move around the fluids that are in the body. It's all to complicated to finish here.
You get the idea.

In the end I will stick by what I have been writing all along: EAT LESS FOOD.

Get prepared in your mind that this weight loss thing isn't a fad, it's a complete life style change. And I agree, it's a pain in the Ars. (I deliberately misspelled that.)

This weight loss thing is something that you will have to continue with all the days of your life. It's going to be this, "Lose the weight, and then keep it off." "I gotta keep it off."

This mindset will have to be a continuous one for the rest of your life as long as you have your wits about you.

And, yes I know we wrestle with our compulsions. We all have those little voices that say, "Go ahead, you can eat that." Those voices come from the inside our heads, and from the outside of our heads from friends and family members.

I am not saying that it's easy to change that life style. I am saying that someday you will have too.

Maybe you are one of those charge forward kind of people that can set your mind like a post in concrete, and can do it with hardly a breath of effort. Then for you losing weight will be like falling out of bed.

However for me this has been a new experience. I don't like this weight loss thing. I don't, I don't, no I don't.

That said, if you are embarking on an effort to lose weight, or you have lost the weight and gotta keep it off; do take heart, you aren't the only one.

Yesterday a close family member came over with the family. He developed type-two-diabetes about five years, or so ago.

When he got the knews he was alarmed as anyone could be. He became vigilant at excercising and eating right. He managed to get off 40-pounds of fat. He was bike riding everyday.

I went on a 20 mile bike ride with him and he almost killed me in the process. That's because I was out of shape myself.

He would test himself daily and watch that blood sugar level.

Now, the years have gone by, and I don't think he even tests his blood sugar anymore. He has regained 40-pounds and more.

I watched him yesterday as he ate one piece of candy after another. He didn't even think about what he was doing. He ate everything he could get.

All that effort from the years before is gone. His vigilance is over. He got his blood sugar down, he lost the weight, now he thinks he can go on doing the wrong things again.

I am sorry to say that it will catch him someday. Yes, it will.

His problem is the same problem that we have. We think that losing weight is an end game. In other words we think that losing weight is a goal that we are striving for.

Instead we should think that losing weight is a "Life Long Process."
With this mindset we won't get so over stressed when we step onto the scale and see a few extra pounds from the day before, or maybe a week or so ago's weigh-in.

With constant vigilance we can get the pounds off, and then keep them off. This is, "The Battle Of The Bulge."
It's a life long war that can never end. As soon as it does, we will lose, and regain all that weight again. Then we will suffer a worse fate than we hoped for.

Bye for now...

No comments:

 Hello Weight Losing Fans,  Today I stepped up onto the Digital Scale weighing in at 208.2-Pounds. My heart is very heavy with pain since my...