Friday, October 19, 2007

Trail Mix Is Supposed To Be Healthy; Watch Out For All The Calories

Hello weight losing fans...

Today I stepped up onto the Magical-Mystical-Digital-Scale weighing in at 182.2-pounds. That is a new record. It's a small change, but it's a difference of about 0.4-pounds.

Well, what's the big deal? Nothing really. It just goes to show that I am slowly heading in the right direction. And, since I am not an advocate of starving oneself to death to lose weight; it's pretty much along with my objectives to lose it slowly.

That Yuppie Food Is Loaded With Calories
Many years ago someone came up with the bright idea of mixing a bunch of nuts with different kinds of seeds, like sunflower seeds, and dried fruits then giving the mixture the name of "Trail Mix." The idea behind this product is someone could carry it in a back-pack and use it to snack on for energy; thus it was named "Trail Mix." Of course there have been variations of this product since.

Since this invention of Trail Mix the yuppies have pretty much turned it into a staple of the yuppie diet. It can be purchased in bulk from different stores. Or it can be purchased prepacked in little bags.

Today someone from work gave me half of a uneaten bag of trail-mix. Since I was hungry, I decided to eat it.

Now, no one would think that something that is supposed to be so healthy as "Trail Mix", could really be a potential stumbling block for weight losing. After all it is just nuts, seeds, and dried fruit. Well, I am holding in my hot little hands the cellophane bag of the "Trail Mix" that I ate today.

In this pretty purple bag was packed 14 ounces of Peanuts, Raisins, Chocolate Candies (M&M), and Sunflower Kernals. It sounds healthy enough, doesn't it? That was until I turned over the bag and read the nutritional panel printed onto the back of the bag; 1,960 calories.

That 14 ounces of healthy nutritional food can be divided up into 14 serving sizes of 3 tablespoons. To make it easy that is about one man's size fistful per serving.
Each serving of 3 tablespoons was 140 calories.
Simply put one fistful of this Trail Mix was 140 calories.
There are 14 serving in a bag, or to put another way, there was 1,960 calories in the bag full of Trail Mix.

That's a lot of calories for a bag of food that most people would snarf down in one sitting while working or watching TV.

One bag of this Trail Mix exceeds my allotment of 1,500 calories for the day by 490 calories. In other words, if I ate the whole bag I would blow my calorie count for the day.

And I wonder how many people are aware of this? Not many. As it was I ate three fistfuls or about 420 calories worth. And, to be honest, it didn't do anything to cut my hunger.

So, do be aware of what it is that you are eating. Inside that little bag of snacks may be one big calorie diet. And, it's eating stuff like this that helps make people fatter.

Most people don't realize how many calories are in the food that they are eating. Which brings me to my next point for the day.

Lady Don't Get Mad At Me Because You're Eating A Fritter
Today I was at work and one of the woman there was talking with me while I was looking at the bulletin board in the break room.

In her hand was cradled a napkin that she had wrapped a fried fritter in. It was a puffed dough bread that had been fried upside down and powdered sugar was sprinkled on top.

I looked at it and said, "That looks good, did you want me to tell you how many calories are in that?" Now, I know that wasn't cool. She immediately said, "Shut up, shut up, I don't want to know." Oops.

I said, "I am sorry, but I do it by habit now with everything that I eat. I am always calculating the calories in food."

She got a look on her face like I was an idiot for saying that. She then said, "I know that there are probably a billion calories in this. It's probably all the food I can eat for the rest of the day."

I said, "NO, that's not true." "It's breakfast." "That's all you can eat for breakfast." I said, "That's about two pieces of bread there in your hand, that would be 2 x 1oo calories." "The powdered sugar would be about 60 calories." "I said that is about 250 to 260 calories there in your hand." What was the use in telling her that?" I thought later.

I am sure she didn't appreciate it at all. She is someone who lost a bunch of weight by eating one bag of Frito's a day. That's what she told me. Really nothing I have to say to someone like that makes any difference.

The same goes for any of us who are trying to lose weight. Really all we can do is take care of ourselves, and watch what it is that we eat.

I can't lose the weight for you or for anyone else. Neither can you lose it for someone else. So the moral of this story is. Don't Waste Your Breath, They Aren't Gonna Listen.

Bye for now...

1 comment:

Jake Silver said...

yeah my wife and I were discussing this very thing! I am very very good at calorie guessing and it surprises me that most people are not. And also, once I did eat an entire bag of trail mix on a road trip which is crazy but that was back in the days when I was wondering why I was always 170 pounds... dumb...

 Hello Weight Losing Fans,  Today I stepped up onto the Digital Scale weighing in at 208.2-Pounds. My heart is very heavy with pain since my...