Sunday, February 10, 2008

Are You Eating Enough Protein?

Hello weight losing fans...

Today I stepped up onto the Magical-Mystical-Digital-Scale weighing in at 177.2-pounds.
Oops, I should write 80.37-kilograms. That's 8037-grams-body-mass.

I am at my weight loss record for this weight loss season. I am at a different record for this weight loss season. This is my forth day below the 180-target. Oops, it should be my 72.57-kilogram target.

Are The Weight Loss Gurus Missing The Point?
Yesterday I wrote in my post that my body fat percentage is changing.

I went back and looked at my records and realized that I wasn't consuming enough protein during this weight loss season.

How do I know? I looked up the recommended daily amount of protein. According to the source I checked, it's recommended that an adult should consume 60 grams of protein each day.
Actually it works out to more than that because my source wrote it should be one gram for every kilogram of body weight. No more pounds. It's all kilograms, and grams.

I should be eating 80 grams of protein a day.

I am including an article that explains what happens when we don't get enough protein. Click on the Harvard School Protein Article.

I have been writing all along don't kill yourself trying to lose weight. I am critical of people who think it's OK to fast off those pounds.
I am critical of people who think that the way to lose weight is by eating nothing but salads.
I am critical of people who don't think through the weight losing process.

I can't get into your head. I can say that this study supports what I am saying. People need to get a balance of protein, carbohydrates, vitamins, and minerals.

When I embarked on this weight loss season for a while there I was way, way too low for my actual physical needs. I did blunder into a weight loss solution. I figured out that EATING LESS FOOD is the proper way to lose weight. However, I still had to figure out how many calories I had to consume. I was also well aware of the fact that I needed more protein.

Protein is essential for the body to function properly. If you don't consume enough protein on a reduced calorie intake of food, then the body will get what it needs from the muscle tissue.

This could mean serious trouble for the heart, and muscle tissues.

For years we have seen it advertised on TV, on the radio, and in magazines that we need to eat a reduced fat diet. Everyone was concerned that fat was the cause of people getting ill health. Well, the birds are coming home to roost, and the truth is being discovered.

When people reduced the fat, they ended up avoiding many of the sources that produce fat. In return they avoided the sources that provided the necessary sources of protein. In effect more people may have been hurt more from not eating meat than if they had eaten meat.

Doctor Atkins had been preaching all along the importance of protein. Now, it's being discovered after his death that he was right all along. Click on the link to Doctor Atkins's Web Site

I am not saying you have to turn into a complete Atkins follower. I did the Doctor Atkins's diet. (Mind you he was a certified Medical Doctor.) I lost 60-pounds. With this diet I got plenty of protein. I got sick of doing the lifestyle.

I advocate a combination of Doctor Atkins's diet, and at the same time reducing down calories. But, no one who is human can continue living on a high protein diet. We humans crave more than just meat. For instance, I just love to eat Ginger Bread Cookies.

So, what will work? EAT LESS FOOD works. Make sure you eat lots of green vegetables, and that protein. It could be chicken, fish, or even the oh so scandalous red meat. Purchase and consume a vitamin supplement.

According to the government the minimum daily consumption of protein for an adult is around 60 grams. Did you know that an egg is only 10% of the daily amount of protein the government recommends?

So, let me get this straight. Everyone is worried about too much fat, but they never considered the damage people were causing themselves because they didn't consume enough protein.

It makes me wonder, have the health Gurus been wrong along? How many people have died because of heart disease caused not from too much fat, but in fact they didn't consume enough protein? I wonder.

I had to warn a family member about this. She has been complaining about being tired all the time. She has been in a weight loss group most of her adult life. Every time she went to weigh in the day before she would cheat and not eat any food at all. She did this for years. Now, she has put on more pounds than she should have. Her muscle is gone, and her skin hangs.

What would she be like if she had consumed protein like she should have? I have been telling her to drink her protein powder. I have been getting onto her about eating properly. She has to quit fasting to meet those weight loss goals too.

It's a good idea to start looking at the food panels on packaged food to figure out the protein content.

I am not worried about fat grams. Here is why. I have lost weight. I am down 60-pounds. My cholesterol has dropped through the floor. It went down 40 points. My heart rate has dropped to a resting rate of around 60 beats per minute. Gee... and I have Christmas Cookies, and candy bars along the way. Imagine that.

I now look at the panels for calories, and for the protein content. I am now recording the protein content. This is so I can make sure I am consuming enough protein. As of yet, I am not worried about those fat grams. Perhaps I will find I am wrong there too.

If I am wrong, how can anyone explain my cholesterol going down? Hmmm....could it be the calories count?

Speaking of real people Dinah has written a post about Coconut Oil click on and read her thoughts

Bye for now...

And that's the way it is...I'm David Dane

No comments:

 Hello Weight Losing Fans,  Today I stepped up onto the Digital Scale weighing in at 208.2-Pounds. My heart is very heavy with pain since my...