Wednesday, February 20, 2008

Holding Steady Around 180-Pounds

Hello weight losing fans...

Today I stepped up onto the Magical-Mystical-Digital-Scale weighing in at 179.4-pounds.
That's back under the 180-pound target, but for how long?

Yesterday I went to the vitamin store and purchased more protein powder. I was running out of protein powder.

Now, you may ask, why am I so fanatical about using protein? It's because of several reasons. It's convenient, I just put the powder in cold water and drink it. It's measured, I know how much protein I am consuming. It's necessary, according to the government, we are supposed to consume a minimum of 60 grams of protein per day. According to another source, we should consume a minimum of 1 gram protein for each kilogram of body mass. (What's mass?)

I ought to consume about 80 grams of protein per day. I am now attempting to do that.

It's not cheap to buy protein. Since I am committed to consuming so much protein powder, I purchase it in 10 pound bags. This is anywhere from 56-70 dollars per bag. It's about 1-2 dollars a day to consume protein powder.

This may seem costly. When you consider what it costs to buy a hamburger at some fast food restaraunt, this is cheap. When I eat that hamburger, I don't get nearly the protein that I do from two scoops of protein powder.

You need to see what it costs to eat per day. Again, that will mean keeping a record what you eat. You may have to look at the receipts and divide out the costs per portion of food.

Here is an example: Yesterday I went and purchased whole wheat bread, a two pound container of peanut butter, and two jars of strawberry (It was a two for one bottle transaction there).

I calculated out that a 32 gram serving of peanut butter was about 16 cents per serving. I calculated that each slice of bread was 16 cents per slice. I calculated the jelly was 8 cents a serving. I made two peanut butter and jelly sandwiches for less than a dollar.

Those two sandwiches satisfied my hunger. It was a yummy snack. It wasn't any less healthy than eating a McDonald's hamberger.

Contrast this cost for two peanut butter and jelly sandwiches with what I purchased earlier. I purchased and egg, bacon and cheese biscuit, hash brown, and coffee for almost 6 dollars earlier in the day. What a difference.

The calorie count was about the same in the end for both meals too. It may not be convenient to go to the grocery store, but it is more cost effective. I also have a two pound bottle of peanut butter left over, a loaf of bread, and jelly. This means more meals in the future.

I love peanut butter and jelly sandwiches. It's easy for me to keep consuming those. I know people who aren't fond of peanut butter. I can't imagine that not liking peanut butter.

It makes sense to take some time to prepare your food. I like McDonald's. I know many of the people who run their corporation. I like a lot of fast foods, like Wendy's.

I don't have money to pour down the drain. It's more economical for me to prepare my food ahead of time. I carry boiled eggs with me. Yes, the cost of eggs is up. But, compare that to the cost of a McDonald's egg sandwich. I get a dozen eggs for less than the cost of that sandwich.

I love to sit and chit chat with friends in a restaraunt. But, for the cost of a meal, I can buy two days of food that I can prepare for myself.

I have a friend that I was treating to lunch each week. I enjoy the chit chat. But, I don't enjoy paying the bill. My friend isn't out anything for the meal. I am. It's cheaper being by myself, and then enjoying my own company.

Bye for now...

And that's the way it is...I'm David Dane

No comments:

 Hello Weight Losing Fans,  Today I stepped up onto the Digital Scale weighing in at 208.2-Pounds. My heart is very heavy with pain since my...