Saturday, January 5, 2008

Losing Weight Sucks, Don't Believe Anyone When They Tell You It's Easy

Hello weight losing fans...

Today I stepped up onto the Magical-Mystical-Digital-Scale weighing in at 183.8-pounds.
I was right, it's just stuff waiting to leave the barn.

Anyway, I was talking to a friend who was giving me advice about how to exercise. Mind you this person is overweight, and doesn't exercise. But, I am supposed to consider the advice.
Hmmm?

We were talking about how slowly my knees are healing, and hurting less and less. I move faster and I am more mobile than I was. He said, "Well it's because you lost weight." Well Dah... Golly, I didn't make the connection.

Isn't it strange how people can insult the intelligence of another person, and not even try? Gee, I didn't know taking ten 6-pound bowling balls off my body would have a good effect. I am so stupid, don't you know? Phew...

You are going to run into people out there who think they can help you with your weight loss program. These are the people who are fat, and out of shape, but have brilliant ideas about how to lose weight.

In the end these same people won't take on there own advice. There is an expression that's been floating around for years: "Talk is cheap." It doesn't cost anything to hand out advice.
Putting that advice into action is what costs something.

My friend means well, and so do many of the people you will encounter seem to mean well. However, remember this, "Good intentions won't get that mule and the wagon out of the mud." You'll have to pull them out. That will take physical effort to do it.

All the talk in the world won't get those extra pounds off of your body. You'll have to take action that will be physical, and mental. You'll have to deny yourself food, especially when every fiber and cell inside of you wants food. Of course, there is the exercise too which takes effort.

I don't care what the experts tell you. I don't care what the neurotic con men and women tell you. You know who I am talking about. These are the people who will tell you that it was easy to lose weight.

Oh yeah, it's so easy? Bull!

Tell me it's easy to say no to that extra brownie.
Tell me it's easy to say no to that stack of pancakes that you're staring at in the Menu.
Tell me it's easy to eat an egg and a piece of toast for breakfast when the stomach is screaming feed me more.
Tell me it's easy to eat one hamburger at the family picnic.
Tell me it's easy to eat only a couple slices of Turkey and some vegetables at that Thanksgiving table.
Tell me it's easy to avoid eating when you wake up in the middle of the night and it feels like cats are clawing your insides because of hunger.
Go ahead tell me how easy it is to deny those cravings and that hunger.
Go ahead and feed me some more of your stupid lies.
Go ahead, I am waiting.

Here is the cold hard truth, which makes me so darned unpopular. "It Sucks Trying To Lose This Weight." And, "It Sucks Trying To Keep The Weight Off."

Go ahead and tell me more advice on how to lose weight. Tell me how diet and exercise is the key. Go ahead try to pump me up.

Pass out your awards for the most change. Fill the blog-o-sphere with your suggestions about how to lose weight, and do it without pain. It's so easy to lose weight after all.

NO, it's not. It sucks.

I like sitting down and eating a whole pizza. Well, I did. I like eating three pieces of fried chicken. Well I did. I like eating until I am stuffed. Well, I did.

I hate having to avoid desserts, and candy, and all kinds of foods. I hate not eating when I am hungry as the devil. I hate losing weight. I absolutely hate it.

There, are you satisfied oh wise ones?

Tell me more of your pompous bull! Go ahead and feed me your crap.

Let's just say you managed to get this far reading my post; then bare with me for a couple more lines. Then when you're done you can go wander off to someplace else on the Internet.

Losing weight isn't fun. It's not easy. You will have to go through mental and emotional anguish to lose weight. Yes, you can have activities that will make it fun. Only, in the end, "when the rubber meets the road," you will have to give up many of the things you cherish. Food, will be one of the things that we fat ones cherish.
You will have to deny yourself that extra donut.
You will have to deny yourself that sugar.
You will have to deny yourself that extra helping of potatoes.
The list goes on of things you will have to deny yourself.
Believe me, it's going to be like trying to get a dirty pacifier out of the hands of a baby. You're going to want to cry like a baby.

Oh, OK, you have an "Iron Will." And you never cry. Excuse me. You're so disciplined?

If that's true. Answer me this one question: Why are you so fat?

Pardon me while I end here. I have to go eat a rice cake. Don't bother me. I'm trying to lose weight.

Bye for now....

And that's the way it is...I'm David Dane

2 comments:

Dinahsoar said...

I have to stop by for my daily dose of reality here. You don't sugar coat it...today's society wants things sugar coated....we want everything "nice"....but the cold hard truth is just as you said...loosing weight is bloody hard. Remember Gomer Pyle and his sergeant screaming 'I can't hear you'?...you are the drill sergeant to those of us who need to keep our feet to the fire...and your drilling message is EAT LESS FOOD.

David Dane said...

Thanks dinah

 Hello Weight Losing Fans,  Today I stepped up onto the Digital Scale weighing in at 208.2-Pounds. My heart is very heavy with pain since my...