Saturday, January 19, 2008

I'm Still Not Losing Those Pounds, And I Am Not Cheating

Hello weight losing fans...

Today I stepped up onto the Magical-Mystical-Digital-Scale weighing in at 181-pounds.

Yesterday I awoke at 3:00 AM to be at work by 6:00 AM. I tried to sleep that last hour, but hunger kept me awake, so I got up, weighed myself and ate an early morning meal. Yesterday I stepped up onto the Magical-Mystical-Digital-Scale weighing in at 182-pounds.

What in tarn-a-shun, dad-gum, liein' to us again David? Come on now... You mean to tell me you cut back down to 1,300 calories, and you are gaining weight? Sum-tin-is-sure wrong with this here picture you are paintin' for us Mr. Dane.
Why... I get the feeling you are cheatin' somewhere.

NOPE.... I am not. Yesterday I woke up and consumed two hard boiled eggs, and two sheets of graham crackers. For lunch at around 11 AM in the morning, I consumed fried catfish, three small muffins, some French Fries, and cole slaw. A friend gave me a small chunk of chocolate (80 calories). That was all I ate for the remainder of the day, which was another 9 hours without food. When I got home at 9:30 PM from work, I drank a bottle of ALE and then went to bed. I was wiped out tired.

Yesterday's total calorie count came in at just about 1,800 calories. I looked everything up in my calorie book and figured out what I had consumed. So, I came in yesterday at 500 calories over my 1,300 calorie allotment.

This doesn't explain what happened yesterday morning. I stepped up onto the scale at 182-pounds. I really expected to be at or below 180-pounds. I really have been sticking to around 1,300 calories for the three days before.

This has me scratching my head, perplexed. Honest, I haven't been cheating. I have no explanation for this phenomenon.

Here is something else that is making me perplexed. My Magical-Mystical-Digital-Scale is beginning to tell me there is a turn around in the wrong direction of my "Body Fat."
A few months ago, I was just hitting between 20-21 percent body fat. This is the time I neared that 180-pound target range.

At this time my percentage of Body Fat is going up. The range is now consistently between 24-25 percent. This is in spite of the fact I am drinking protein powder. It's in spite of the fact I have reduced down the calories.

I have leaned out. My waist if down six inches. My shoulder muscles and arms are beginning to look cut again. My legs are leaner. (My cousin said I have chicken legs now.) So, what is going on?

I am perplexed for sure. I am trying to figure out how I went from 20 percent body fat up to 24 percent body fat in only a couple of months time.
Why is my scale telling me that I am actually gaining fat?

I don't have an answer for it at this time. I may be dealing with a phenomenon that is peculiar to people who are actually eating way to few calories. The body may still be going after the muscle tissue, instead of the fat. It's easier for the body to break a protein molecule than for it to break up a fat molecule. (Don't ask me why, it just is.)
I am beginning to think this is what is going on.

So, how do I combat this? Hmmm... I may have to deliberately eat more tuna, chicken, and meat products. The protein powder may not be enough protein.

Exercise may be a factor too. Let's face the facts here. I haven't had a strenuous work out routine. I have been losing weight without exercise. My muscle may be depleting because of inactivity.

You know what? It's hard to get an old machine to run properly. Yep, my joints and muscles pop, and snap more than they ever have before. I was throwing snow balls a couple weeks ago at my young cousin, and thought I was going to throw my arm off. I try to do push-ups, and my shoulders make popping sounds. Argh....

So, what am I going to do? Well, I am going to eat more protein, and more green vegetables for sure. I will continue consuming the protein powder.

I am slowly adding some excercise in everyday. Phew... I feel like the "Tin Man" out of the movie "Wizard of Oz." Remember the part where he was found standing with his axe up in the air? All he could do was "Eke" out the words "Oil" from the corner of his mouth. He was all rusted up.

Well, that "Tin Man" is me. I am all rusted up. I, because of my size, and the weird wacky schedule that I keep, am rusted up from inactivity.

I am not a fan of running like I was. There was time many years ago when I couldn't wait to go run. I would get off work from my military job, and go run for miles. I would get off work from my regular job and go run for a hour or so. That was a time "LONG AGO." Now, it's a fairy tale.

Now, my body asks this question, and it runs through my mind, "Man, what the H...... are you doing? Are you crazy? Stop this, or I'll kill you dead right here and now dude..."
This is what goes on in my mind.

So, it's tough to deal with for sure; losing weight, trying to get fit again, trying to change all the old habits that have worn in over time. It's all tough.

It's not easy to change. It has to be day-in-and-day-out. Let me tell you it can get very discouraging for sure.

This is one reason I am writing this blog. Maybe someone like me will find it. Maybe someone like me will get some insiration.

We are all human. We all have different events that life throws our way. You, like me, can roll over and die. In my case it was a slow agonising death.
Or, we can say, "This sucks. Look out, I am pissed off now.... I am going fix this, or die doing it."

I was sick and tired of being sick and tired. I was distressed. I was fat and getting fatter. I wasn't permitted to die out right. God wasn't going to let that happen. So, I had to find the heart that would fight for a different way.

You can too...

Bye for now...

And that's the way it is...I'm David Dane

4 comments:

Jake Silver said...

You know U R on the right track. You probably do need to add more protein calories and more exercise. I know we have ideological differences, Mr. Dane, but I really do want to see U succeed. Haqve U ever read YOU on a diet? It's great. It's by Dr. Oz and he says start out just by walking 30 minutes every day. Jorge Cruise recommends doing 8 minutes in the AM just twice a week. Like pushups and then crunches for 8 minutes and then take a walk. For a military dude like yourself I;m sure you can find the discipline in yourself to commit to just 30 minute walk a day and then twice a week do crunches and pushups. DUDE I am in rehab where my back is broken and I walk with my walker around my living room for 30 min every morning and then I started doing very light weigts and some easy yoga a few times a week per doc orders. Yeah Im laying the guilt trip down, if I can do it, YOU can do it.

Dinahsoar said...

I have a couple of thoughts...one: 1300 may be too few calories---perhaps your body is in starvation mode, saving your calories. Two: you may have reached a plateau. I heard Bob Greene say on TV the other day that when you plateau after loosing quite a bit of weight, your body is taking a break and that it needs that break. I'd never heard that before but it may explain why so many of us find ourselves in long plateaus after we've lost several pounds. A third thing that comes to mind as I type this comment is that you are going several hours without eating in a stretch and that supposedly slows the metabolism down....

I hear all these theories but they don't jive with what we've seen come out of concentration camps...people who were fed only bread and water and very little of it, who were skin and bone with no fat...they certainly lost weight on very little food.

Hang tough...you will figure it out eventually....you are at a great place right now, so it's not such a bad place to be "stuck", eh?

A said...

No cheating? I hear you ate ribs on Sunday?

David Dane said...

Thanks Jake, Dinah, and Resilient Hawk. Who told you resilient hawk I had ribs? You must be able to read minds. I did have ribs....

 Hello Weight Losing Fans,  Today I stepped up onto the Digital Scale weighing in at 208.2-Pounds. My heart is very heavy with pain since my...