Tuesday, January 15, 2008

Eat Protein So The Body Will Keep It's Muscle

Hello weight losing fans...

Today I stepped up onto the Magical-Mystical-Mystical-Digital-Scale weighing in at 181.8-pounds.

OK, that's down some.

Yesterday I said that I would drop my total calorie count for food consumption from 1,500 calories to 1,300 calories.

Now, my body is going to begin the process to readjust to a lower calorie intake. (200 calories less)

Here is what is going to happen:

  • I am going to experience again the gnawing hunger that I did when I started losing weight last year. I usually describe this as cats clawing my stomach inside.
  • I am going to struggle with the mood swings again. I am going to wrestle again with new and powerful temptations. HUNGER...!!!!!
  • I may experience fatique again, as my body tosses another temper tantrum.
  • I will have to be even more cautious counting my calories.

It's not going to be easy to consume less food than I already am now. But, I have decided to drop another 20-pounds.

Someone Told Me That I Would Be Too Skinny
Today a friend of mine told me on the telephone that I would be too skinny. She hasn't seen me since July 2007. I told her I lost twenty pounds since that time.

Well, I have a flap of fat that still hangs just below my belly navel. Yep, just on top of the muscle that is in my stomach area is 20-pounds of fat.

That fat can't be tightened up like some people think. No, fat has to go back to sugar. There is only one way to do that. The body has to absorb the fat as an energy source.

The only way to get the body to go after fat is to make it kick in the fat burning process.

First; I have to make sure I have a source of protein that the body can absorb out of my stomach. Second; I have to get my calorie intake down to a point that my body is forced to seek an alternative food source besides the carbohydrates that I would normally eat.

If I have protein my body won't go after my muscle tissue before it goes for the fat.

This is one of the biggest problems with low calorie consumption diets. People unknowingly lose body muscle before they lose body fat. This is why when they have lost so much weight the skin is hanging on a skeleton.

Think about how many people you have seen who may have lost a tremendous amount of weight. They lost it because they reduced down the calories to way below what the body needed. Their body reacted and they started losing the weight. Only when they have finished the weight loss they look like skeletons.

They have fasted away all the muscle and structures that give the normal body shape. Then when it's over all there is left is hanging skin and fat.

My Family Member Has Done Low Calorie Diets
I have a family member who for most of her adult life has been doing low calorie diets. She now has fat that hangs off of her arms like the waddles on a chickens chin. She has fat that flaps around different parts of her body. Here is why: One; she is old. Two; and more importantly, she has no muscle left for the support of here skin. She lost all the muscle during her years of dieting. Now, she has a slow metabolism, and she struggles because of it.

Hey, if you are going to lose weight, go get some protein powder to drink down at least once a day. You have to have a source of protein that the body can consume. If you don't have enough protein then your body will go after it's own muscle for the protein it needs.

I consume at least two scoops of protein powder each day. I provide my body with a source of protein that it can consume.

When I have lost this extra poundage, I don't want to look sickly. Some people think that my eyes will be sunken into my head, and that I will have this skinny looking body.

Well, I will look slender for sure. But, it won't be a sickly kind of slender.

Let's just see how long it will take for me to get there from here. I am not in a hurry per say.

My 1,300 calorie count is low for sure. I am taking vitamin supplements, and fish oil as well.

I assure you, I am looking forward to the day when I can up my total calorie count for the purpose of maintaining my body at 160-pounds. Oh, that will be such a relief.

Bye for now...

And that's the way it is...I'm David Dane


1 comment:

A said...

Which restaurants are the best for calculating/counting calories?

 Hello Weight Losing Fans,  Today I stepped up onto the Digital Scale weighing in at 208.2-Pounds. My heart is very heavy with pain since my...