Friday, January 25, 2008

Wishful Thinking Won't Get Those Pounds Off

Hello weight losing fans...

Today I stepped up onto the Magical-Mystical-Digital-Scale weighing in at 182.4-pounds.

Well, today I am breathing better. My fever broke a couple of days ago. I had one on Sunday, and on Monday. I don't know what my temperature was. I know I had a fever because even with a blanket on, and tightly wrapped around me, my teeth were chattering. I was cold even in my 80 degree F. home Sunday night. Phew, I thought I would never get warm.

I am much better. So this has been one of those seven day colds. I consider myself lucky because a lot of people around me have it worse.

For the last six days since Sunday I haven't been overly cautious about my food consumption. I ate when I felt like it, and I ate what I wanted.

I did continue to keep a written record of what I consumed. Yes, I still had to do that even though I felt bad physically. Again, I think I got through this better than many.

My airways are clear, my body aches related to the cold are pretty much history.
So, I am back at "The Battle of The Bulge."

It's War. I have another 20-pounds that I "wish" to get off here. So, I am back at it.

HOO WAH!

As a result, for you unlucky enough to stumble upon my blog, you get to read my dribble. Yes, you can read my witless writings and tell me what you think. Although I am not doing it for you. It's therapy... Oh I make myself laugh.

OK, so what words of wisdom does the Guru have for us today?
Well let me open my black bag full of thoughts here. Hmmmmm.... Let's see...

Wishful Thinking Doesn't Get The Pounds Off
Oh, oh, here we go, David is going to philosophise us to death here. Run! Quick click off that blog. Well, feel free to tune me out.
You got my weight for the day, if that's what you wanted to know.

Years ago I was involved with a Multi Level Marketing Company. It was a financial service company that I was involved with for many years, and I wasted tons of money paying expenses and fees on my own in order to keep my licenses, and go to RAH RAH meetings that were absolutely worthless.

Their meetings were worthless because they never ever touched onto the reality of how things work. Their philosophy was to sell a dream. I being naive and wishing things were different in my life bought into their philosophy.

Now, mixed in with their DREAM was enough truth to capture peoples imagination and suck a lot of unwitting people into their business.
Like everything in life eventually it gets polluted by crooked people who mess with the system.

One of the things that was taught at the RAH RAH Sessions was, "if you'll make a decision then your whole life will change." "Yes, if you'll make a heart felt decision then you'll get rich." I never forget those words.

It was akin to the song that Jimmy Cricket from Walt Disney fame sang, "When you wish upon a star, makes no difference who you are, when you wish upon a star, your dreams come true."

Many of the speakers who would get up at these Rah Rah sessions were slick, mouthy, boasting con people who got rich off of the people who followed their hollow blustering.

People were sold a dream, or a wish. They were never taught how to put it into action.

The same may be said about a lot of what's being sold today to people. A lot of what is going on out there in the real world is hype. It's wishful thinking.

Many of the weight loss programs out there are wishful thinking. For example, there is a diet program out there that teaches people to eat food that fits their blood type.
It's a completely impractical way to approach weigh loss. But, people buy the program, wishing that they will lose weight.

There is a weight loss program out there that tells people to cut up the stomach. This will fix their problem. It's wishful thinking. The doctors don't tell you that you will still have to fight with hunger. Hunger starts inside the hypothalamus inside of the brain, not inside the stomach. The doctors don't tell you that you will have to portion down your food after the surgery. That's right. You'll have to portion down your foods.
And, guess what? After your stomach is chopped up, you'll still get hungry. Go figure.
Explanation Of How Hunger Starts

Why am I telling you this? Well, I am trying to get you to realize that wishing something to happen doesn't mean it will happen.

Wishing yourself thin doesn't mean that you will get thin. Making a decision to get thin doesn't mean that you will get thin.

Events Happen As A Result Of Action
I am not knocking the thought processes that lead up to a change in the life of one person. Making a change starts with the realization that something isn't what we want it to be.

In my case, it was that I was overweight.

But, a wish doesn't change anything. Realizing that someone should be at 160-pounds doesn't mean that he will get down to 160-pounds from 300-pounds.

In my case, losing weight was a process. It started with the desire to lose weight. With that desire I had to take a course of action. My course of action was to reduce down the amount of food that I consumed each day.

With The Course Of Action Came The Uncontrollable Events
I started reducing the amount of food that I consumed. This was an action. As a reaction to my action, my body responded by consuming up fat, which resulted in weight reduction.

Along with the action, and my body's reaction came along a lot of things that I had no control over.

I couldn't control the amount of hunger that I was going to feel. I couldn't control the fits and temper tantrums that my body put me through with dizziness, and depression, and constant thoughts about food.

What I could control was that food that I put inside of my mouth. I had to take my will and apply it along with the process. My thought, then the action from the thought, then the results came along later.

Well, what does all this have to do with wishful thinking. My father had an expression, "wish in one hand, then pick up dirt in the other, then see which one weighs more." (He wasn't that clean with words dirt. I changed some of the wording.)

There is no harm in having the desire for things to be different. Don't be so willing to jump onto the wagon with every idea out there that promises weight loss.

There is one sure fire way to lose weight. It works like this: EAT LESS FOOD. That's it.

Eat Sensibly of course. Don't think you can go out and eat sweet rolls three times a day for months on end, and then remain healthy. It won't work.

Can you have a sweet roll for breakfast? Yes, but not everyday for breakfast. Can you have a piece of cake? Yes, you can eat cake. Don't think you can continue to eat dessert everyday, and then expect to lose weight.

Your wishful thinking is going to have to be followed by a plan for action, and then that action has to be taken. It will be a course of action you will have to implement day-in-and-day-out. It's a course of action that you will have to take every-hour-of-every-day. It will be a course of action you will have to implement every-second-everyday.

Your course of action will have to be a result of persistence. I mean stubborn persistence.
Your course of action won't be a Sunday picnic in the sun at a local park.
Your course of action will test your "will" to get at what you want with your body.
Your course of action will be met with stubborn resistance from a human body that wants things to stay the way they are.
Your body will throw fits.
There will be people who think that you can do it differently. There a lot of people out there who don't know how to give up anything.

Food is important. We have to have food to survive.
There is a big difference between eating to survive, and eating to satisfy hunger.

Don't think for five seconds it's going to be easy. What are you kidding? I have a word for the people who tell others it's easy to lose weight. (...........................)

I will keep it clean. You get the idea.


Let Me Make This Easy:
  • Go buy yourself a good quality weight scale
  • Go buy yourself two notepads.
  • Put one notepad in the kitchen, and put one by your scale
  • Go to the bookstore and purchase a good quality calorie counter
  • Figure out your height and weight
  • Write down that height and weight
  • Make up your mind you are going to make an honest attempt to hit that target weight
  • Make up your mind you will not be foolish trying to hit that target weight
  • Start looking at food as a source for energy, instead of a source for personal comfort
  • Start writing down every thing that you eat and drink
  • Measure what you eat and drink, and then write it down
  • When you have gotten into the habit writing down everything you eat, begin to figure out how many calories you eat.
  • When you have figured out how much you eat everyday in calories, take action to reduce down those calories.
  • Many days ago I wrote a formula: 7 calories times your current weight.
  • This formula could be a starting point for your total calorie count.
  • Each day figure out how to reduce down your calories, steady as she goes
  • Pray for the will, strength, and desire to lose weight. It will take an external power to engage that will power. I am talking about the creator of the Universe as that external power.
  • And don't get excited when you lose more than 2-pounds a weak. I think that's too much. I averaged about 1-pound each week.
  • If you weigh 100-pounds over your weight, then expect to take two years to get down to where you belong.
If you will be careful with your food consumption, and stubbornly persistent with your plan, then you will eventually lose weight.

Please keep in mind I am aware of diseases such as Cushing's Syndrome Disease that has an effect on how our bodies respond. Cushing's Syndrome Disease if the result of micro-tumors on the thyroid, or on the Pituitary gland, or even on the Adrenal glands.

In my case, I don't think I have any disease. OK, I have lazy disease. So, in my case, getting off the weight is a matter of reducing my food consumption.

I hope this helps someone who was like me. I was overweight, and feeling desperate as a result. I have other things to deal with. This is why I pray my head off.

Finally, Why haven't I Mentioned Exercise? Exercise is impossible when you can't get that fat body off the couch. Someone may be able to lift the arms up and down and break a sweat if he/she is really out of shape.

Exercise increases the appetite. Until the body has actual muscle that is solid protein muscle, the body doesn't have a real fat burning machine. Fasting for long periods of time actually reduces down the muscle. So, if someone is fat, and they exercise, the body responds by kicking up the physical hunger response. Remember: The unconditioned body immediately wants to meet its energy needs.

Exercise should be used to add muscle, and to condition the body for many different reasons.

You don't have to exercise to lose weight. You should consume more protein along with green vegetables of all kinds to lose weight.

Bye for now...

And that's the way it is...I'm David Dane








2 comments:

Dinahsoar said...

Sounds like you might have had the flu...it's good you are on the mend.

David Dane said...

Thanks dinah. It was a cold. If it was the flu, then I think I would still be sick. Who knows?

 Hello Weight Losing Fans,  Today I stepped up onto the Digital Scale weighing in at 208.2-Pounds. My heart is very heavy with pain since my...