Sunday, May 20, 2007

Protein Is An Essential Food-Don't Avoid It

Why Protein Digestion Is So Important
An essential macronutrient, protein is used by the body to build and repair cells, to regulate a huge number of body functions. For example, almost 50 percent of the dietary protein we consume each day goes into making enzymes, the specialized proteins that help to digest food, assemble or divide molecules to make new cells and other chemical substances. Protein is also used to make neurotransmitters, essential for sending nerve messages around the body. Protein is also used in the creation of DNA and RNA, the nucleic acids responsible for determining how our body cells are formed and how they behave.

***The above information was borrowed from a different website.***


Today I talked to my sister about the woman who I wrote about in my blog a couple of days ago. My sister agreed with me that this woman I was describing may have an eating disorder. She was telling me that more and more people in the senior years are being discovered to have eating disorders.

We also talked about people who she knows who are now ailing from having the stomach surgery that reroutes all the piping. She told me that many of them are suffering from malnutrition. She was also telling me some are now battling protein deficiency.

Both situations above are very serious situations. If a woman is overweight and decides to starve herself so she could lose weight she is heading for heart problems, an increase in the possibility of diabetes, brain shrinkage, and a whole host of other problems that come with eating poorly.

Having ones stomach rerouted is beginning to show the same results. I am predicting that in the future they will discover that people who have had their piping rerouted will live shorter lives.

What Can I Do That's Reasonable To Lose Weight?
Now, what can be done about this problem of being overweight?

You can start by purchasing a good quality digital weight scale. And if you are over 300 pounds you will probably have to purchase a very special digital scale. Most digital scales only go up to 300 pounds.

With that scale start getting into the habit of weighing yourself each morning when you roll out of bed like I do. When you weigh yourself immediately record the date and your weight.

When you have finally gotten into the habit of weighing yourself everyday, then you can begin to record the food that you eat. That's right every single item that you eat has to be recorded.

Record each piece of candy that you suck on, and every piece of chewing gum that you toss into your mouth as well.

Why? It's because you are developing the habit of watching your food intake. Sometimes I have to resort to writing my food consumption on a napkin. Today I used the corner of the restaurant paper that goes under the food plate.

When you have finally developed the habits of recording your weight and the food that you eat then you can move on to counting the calories.

Right now all I want you to do is to record what you are eating.

It took time to get used to writing down everything down I ate. Sometimes I would forget and later realize I hadn't recorded what I ate. The habit is more ingrained now. It's still a pain to do it though.

People think I am nuts. The fat people feel guilty because it reminds them they don't pay close enough attention to what it is they are eating. The skinny people are annoyed because they can't figure out why someone would have to go through so much trouble to write down what he eats.

So, it's a no win situation with most people who you encounter. Forget about the critics, just write down what you eat.

When you see what it is that you are eating you will be able to evaluate why you are putting on the pounds instead of taking off the pounds.

I will end here with beginning to lose the weight. I will continue that on another day.

My Critical Friend
I have a friend who is critical of my methodology to lose weight. Today he was telling me, "Diets don't work. They never have, and they never will."

Meanwhile as he is saying the above mentioned statements I am thinking, "Well then what is sitting directly in front of you?"

He is just one of the kind of people you will run into while on a diet.

At church today there was a very large preponderant woman sitting to my left. I was dying to tell her, "Hey lose the weight." I kid you not.

Here her husband was thin, and she's overweight. She had gigantic breasts and a big fanny. She could stand to lose 80 or so pounds.

After worship I turned to her and said, "I can tell you how God has answered one of my prayers this last year." She said, "what?" I said, "He gave me the wisdom to carefully lose 40 pounds."

Her is what she said, "Well, lets see if you can keep it off."

I wanted to say, "Hey FATSO let's see if you will lose anything at all." I didn't say what I was thinking. I was gracious and said, "I will keep it off because I monitor carefully everything that I eat."

That was shear jealousy flying out of her. You will run into those people.

There isn't anything you or I can do for those kinds of people. The old saying holds true here, "Change yourself, don't even try to change anyone else."

This weight loss gig is my thing and my thing only. If by chance you are attempting to lose weight take heart, "If I can do it. You can do it."

I woke up this morning and weighed in at 200-pounds again on the dot. I still haven't broken through the 200-pound barrier.

My body is giving me stiff resistance here at this set point. I expect this is going to be a battle to break the barrier. I have been hovering just over 200 for over a week. My body goes up, and then it goes down, but it never goes through that barrier.

By the way this is probably normal. If I was cutting off the pounds to quickly, I am not so sure that's really healthy. My body is letting me know somehow it wants to hold on to that extra fat. This is because the body wants to stay where it was. It's gotten dependent on keeping fat around. I have also probably become somewhat immune to my own insulin. More on that another time.

Today I ate:

  • Mixed vegetables-2 cups
  • Tuna-1/2 cup
  • Honey-1 tablespoon

At lunch I had:

  • Talapi fish-3.5 ounces
  • Corn-1/2 cup
  • Rice-1/2 cup
  • Brocolli
  • Buttered French Bread

That's all I am going to have today. I am pretty much set for my caloried count for the day. I haven't calculated my calorie count yet. I am quessing it's pretty close to the 1,500 calorie mark here.
Bye for now......

 Hello Weight Losing Fans,  Today I stepped up onto the Digital Scale weighing in at 208.2-Pounds. My heart is very heavy with pain since my...