Thursday, March 6, 2008

Even If You Exercise, You Have To Watch That Food Consumption

Hello weight losing fans...

Today I stepped up onto the Magical-Mystical-Digital-Scale weighing in at 179.2-pounds.
This is supper. It means that I am stable at around 180-pounds with a 2,000 calorie a day intake of food.

Oh weee ha... Now... Let's just see how long I can stay like this.

How did you like that video of Sheryl Crow...? I don't like her politics, but I think her music is fun.
Nobody is perfect.

I was thinking about this blog post for today. I was talking to a family member who would really like to lose some pounds. She complains about being tired all of the time. She's getting up there in years at 80-years old.

She wants to get off 40-pounds. I keep after her to take her multivitamins, and to drink her protein. I am convinced that part of her problem is she has more fat than muscle. She can't rev up.

She was saying to me that it's so hard to try to eat the right stuff. Well, dah... Everything is loaded up with sugar, and other yummy ingredients.

Let's face the truth here: Food is as addicting as naurcotics. If it wasn't then why do people have this continual need to be eating all of the time? I understand the compulsion to eat because food tastes good.

The only way that I could beat that compulsion was to fight it. I am not saying that I have it whipped yet. It's something that I am continuously contending with where ever I go to eat, or when I am home and am hungry.

Today I went to work at 4:00 AM. When I got off work, I went home and took a nap. It's only because I only had maybe five hours of sleep last night. I went to bed, and absolutely could not fall asleep. Then when I finally fell to sleep that clock beeped. It felt like I had not slept, or that I just got to sleep.

When I woke from my nap, I weighed myself, then decided to eat something. I ate a peanut butter and jelly sandwich, two scoops of vanilla protein powder, and half of a very large cookie. This half of the large cookie was 250 calories. (500 calories for the entire cookie)

Now. I am only up to around 1,000 calories so far for the day. I saw that cookie in the refrigerator, and decided that I wanted to eat it. That's OK... I just have to remember that I can't eat something else later on.

If you watch what you eat, you can have some goodies along the way. I keep writing it's not what you eat, it's how much you eat. Count up those calories.

My 250 calorie cookie could have been a bowl of soup instead. This would actually have been healthier. And, I like you, have to be aware that sugar can become and addiction. Yes, I can fall into the pit craving sugar all of the time. Here I kicked the habit, now I am tempting fate again.

Time and time again I write, "Eat Less Food."

You can have that chocolate covered donut for breakfast. But, remember you ate that donut when you go to pick out that extra long beef sandwich for lunch, and that big plate of pasta and meatballs for dinner. Those calories add up quick.

If you are going to lose weight, you are going to have to have a daily short fall of calories. You'll have to find a point in your food consumption where at the end of the day your body says "OH, OH... feed me, feed me... feed me."

I kid you not. Your body is going to play the devil on you while you are trying to shed those pounds. You'll probably get headaches, stomach aches, feel tired, you'll be over consumed thinking about food all the time, and suffer with incredible hunger.

I kid you not, you will. If you don't, then guess what? You aren't losing weight.

I have a friend who lost twenty pounds or more by running everyday. When the running stopped; back came the extra pounds. He didn't adjust his food consumption to compensate for the calories he wasn't burning by running.

I have an old friend who gained weight and was running and exercising everyday. His total food consumption exceeded what he was burning with exercise. This is what happens when food is overconsumed.

No amount of exercise is going to compensate for that food consumption. Even the incredible body builders that compete in these contests where they show off muscle know they have to eat more lean proteins, and cut way back on the carbohydrates before a competition. They have to burn the fat out from between those layers of muscle.

If you are going to lean up, then you have no choice but to eat less food. Even if you run, and exercise you will still have to adjust your food consumption. That's just the way it is.

I don't like it. But, hey, I feel much, much better having done it.

Bye for now...

And that's the way it is...I'm David Dane

2 comments:

Dinahsoar said...

The Sheryl Crowe music was a lot of fun and made me want to move...also made me want some sunny warm weather...we are still in the throes of winter...when it warms up I want to get out and do some walking for health...

You are so right about eating less food and the ongoing struggle..it never ends..hence eat less must be the mantra and keeping track of food intake is critical to long term success....

Enjoy your increased food intake and stable weight...you earned it...it's so easy though to forget how hard the fight was and it's also so easy to get used to the increased food and continually want more....that's how I regained my lost weight...just didn't pay close attention...all my hard work down the drain...I focused too much on the scale instead of focusing on my food intake...the scale just reflects what we put into our mouth.

David Dane said...

Thanks dinah...
I try to have fun...
I don't think that I will forget so soon about my weight. I like you had lost a great deal of weight before (60 pounds) I regained 40-pounds. This is were I was at the beginning of this weight loss season.

 Hello Weight Losing Fans,  Today I stepped up onto the Digital Scale weighing in at 208.2-Pounds. My heart is very heavy with pain since my...