Tuesday, June 19, 2007

Binging Happens, We All Tend To Over Eat

We all have a tendency to eat beyond what we need to survive.

Last night I had ice cream, and three glasses of wine. The ice cream I estimate was 440 calories, and the wine was probably about 350 calories. It was a fruity white wine. So I am sure it has some serious calories attached to each glass. I have no way of estimating it now.

Now, am I going to kick myself here? Well, I haven't yet weighed in for the morning. I don't have my digital scale with me.

Dieting Opens A Whole New World Of Temptation
Folks let's face it. In America we are very well off with the amount of food that we have available.

I hear this talk all the time about how the poor don't get enough in this country. When I go into Chicago I see a lot of fat black people. I see a lot of women especially who are fat. I see a lot of fat white people too.

This is because of one reason and one reason only. They eat more than they need to sustain life.

We all eat more than we need.

We eat cake, candy, ice cream, donuts, breads, and all kinds of other high calorie foods to such excess that we are becoming a fat society. We all over eat.

It's easy to over eat. It takes some real will power to resist the urge to eat. It takes real will power to make the correct choices when we are hungry.

It takes knowledge and the belief that the quantity of food is the problem and not the kind of food.

I can eat a bag of cheese puffs each day and lose weight. But, that better be all I eat. I can't have anything else that would be more healthy for me. Here is why; it's because every food that I drink or eat has calories.

The only thing that may not have calories is the artificial sweeteners. Anything else has calories. Even vegetables have calories in them.

So if you like me are on some sort of diet; then the calories are going to be counted. That's it.

Choosing Healthy Foods
I saw this program on TV the other day where this doctor who has written a very popular book about dieting was telling someone about food choices.

He was showing this woman how to choose salmon instead of beef. He was showing her the kinds of vegetables she needs to choose. Da... Thanks Doc... You've solved all her problems and mine too.

Great, I am going to pick the red peppers, the green salads, and the very best proteins I can everyday now that this doctor has shown me how. Well, I will until I go to that office party where all the goodies are out on the table. I will make all the right choices until I go to a birthday party.

What happens when we go to that party in the late hours, or we go to that banquet? If we are hungry when we go to the office party then we most likely will over eat. We all tend to over eat.

Don't kid yourself. If you like chocolate cake then you are going to want to eat chocolate cake. The temptations don't go away.

The frustration that goes with trying to lose weight never, ever goes away.

This is life, we want often what we know we should not have. This is where the power of the will comes in. And this is where writing down everything we eat comes in.

Write Down What You Eat
If you write it down, you can make adjustments all along the way, and still most likely hit those weight loss points you hoped for.

I tell people to write down what they have eaten. It's a habit that needs to be practiced. If you can see what you have eaten then you can adjust from there. If you forget what you ate, then you won't be able to adjust because you can't possibly remember everything that you eat.

Writing what we eat down helps to slow down the impulse to eat. If anyone gets into the habit of writing down what he/she is eating then he/she will have to think about what is being eaten. This gives the mind time to react and slow down eating impulses.

This is a long life project losing weight. You can't ever give in and quit. You can't let the critics and skeptics detour you. You still have to keep chugging along everyday.

Eventually it gets a little easier.

Bye for now...

No comments:

 Hello Weight Losing Fans,  Today I stepped up onto the Digital Scale weighing in at 208.2-Pounds. My heart is very heavy with pain since my...