Monday, June 18, 2007

Getting Discouraged And Giving Up Is Not Good

I have an In-law that criticized me last night. See was critical of my tactics to lose weight. She jumped onto the matter of me eating a piece of cake in front of her.

She seems to believe that this piece of cake will ruin my weight losing plans. She also thinks that counting calories doesn't work. Well, she is ignorant and people like her are ignorant.

Here is my weight loss system in a nut shell. Are you ready? Can you handle this profound truth? Are you willing to believe me? Cus, here it comes.

I am going to tell you how to lose weight. I am going to tell you how to over come the people that are critical of your efforts. I am going to open your eyes to the wonder of wonders.

Here it is. Get ready. I am going to knock your socks off here. I am going to baffle the sceptics with this one. I am going to fix all your weight loss problems with this one little statement.

This is going to make science history here.

Here it is. It's the shocking profound truth.

EAT LESS FOOD

Oh I did it again. It's that eat less food statement. Come on, can't I just take a pill?

Here is another profound statement: It's not what we eat, it's how much we eat that gets us into trouble.

What? You mean I can eat a birthday cake? Yep, I have eaten birthday cake all along. You mean I can have hamburgers? Yep, I have all along. Well, then what are you telling us? We can eat anything we want? Yep, we can eat anything that we want in moderation.

My ignorant in-law doesn't understand that calorie counting is just a way to measure the quantity of food that I have consumed.

If I eat 3,000 calories of food that's 1,500 calories more than eating 1,500 calories.

It means I ate more food. That's it. I'm not eating the calories, I am eating the food. The calories are a way to measure the food. That's it.

"Eat less calories" is the same as saying "eat less food."

We are all going to run into the fat people who want to stay fat. These are the people who claim they have lost all this weight and then regained it.

My In-law told me, "I lost 90-pounds in six months eating 900 calories a day."

Have you ever heard of the word malnutrition? That's what she was doing to her body. That's what anyone is doing when they cut back so far on the food intake.

There has to be an immediate source of food for the body to function normally. If you cut so far back on the food as to starve the body you are setting yourself up for trouble. One such trouble is heart failure.

As my in-law stated she was eating 900 calories a day for over six months. That's way too few calories for anyone over that time period.

She claimed that counting calories didn't work. Folks 900 calories a day isn't a lot of food. It's food but it's not enough food.

She claimed that she could eat anything she wanted at 900 calories a day. She claimed that a woman's metabolism is slower than a man's.

A woman has less muscle mass than a man. This gives the apperance of a slower metabolism. She burns fat slower because she has a lower muscle mass.

If a woman had the muscle mass of the average man, then she too would burn calories quicker.

So is this a slow metabolism? If I have a bigger engine it will burn more fuel. If I have a small engine it will burn less fuel. That is just physics 101 there. The higher muscle mass in the man is just a bigger engine than the average woman.

Well, isn't this the metabolism. There seems to be confusion here as to what is metabolism.

If I rev up the small engine and it works faster then it too will consume more fuel. With the woman if she revs up her muscles then she too will burn more fuel. As we call it calories which is the measure of turning food into energy.

If my in-law would add more muscle mass to her body she would actually increase her body's ability to burn more fuel.

Why am I so critical of my in-law? Because these are the kind of people you will run into. They are the experts on everything.

Well, just because she is weak doesn't mean that I have to be as weak. She couldn't trim down and stay in shape, doesn't mean that I can't trim down and stay in shape.

The same goes for anyone else that is trying to lose weight. We can't depend on the outside criticism of the skeptics and critics.

It's Easy To Quit And Give Up
Unfortunately everyday we will run into people who are going to be critical of losing weight. These voices can be a big part of discouraging progress and increasing our desire to quit trying anymore.

Giving up on losing weight is not good. Your life may depend on it.

There is a man I know who got cancer in the Colon. The doctors cut out a small part of the colon. As a result of the surgery he had to change his diet. He had to wear a colostomy bag for a time while the doctors figured out if they were going to take out the rest of the colon.

In the mean time he lost a tremendous amount of weight. Well, they resectioned his colon back together. Here is what he told me, "I have never felt better in my life." Why? It's because he lost all of the weight as a result of the circumstances he found himself in.

He benefited by losing so much weight. You will too.

He has only lost a small part of his colon. So, he can now go back to eating. He has regained his ability to over eat and get fat again.

It doesn't have to be that way. I warned him now keep off that weight. He intends to.

If he knows how, he will keep off the weight. If he remembers that he ate those little cups of fruit. If he remembers to eat smaller food portions. If he remembers to eat less food then he will keep off the excessive weight. Chances are real good he won't remember.

He will get hungry and eat to satisfy the hunger. This is what we all do. We eat to satisfy that gnawing hunger. Then poof we find ourselves overweight.

We all get hungry. It's takes some thinking to keep out of trouble when the hunger pains strike. This is where the will comes in.

Learn How To Beat The Hunger
Learning to tactically beat the hunger is a key in not losing the battle of the bulge.

I am assuming you really want to get off the weight. This is why you have stayed this long reading my blog.

Eat a tablespoon of honey before you go out to eat. It's 60 calories of instantaneous energy. The body assimilates the honey into sugar quickly. This spikes up the sugar level.
After that when you eat anything you will seem to fill up faster.

I have taken tablespoons full of honey before I go eat. After that I don't desire to eat as much.

Well, why not use sugar? Honey has more going for it nutritionally than plain white sugar. There are flavonoids in honey that help fight cancer.

Eat more vegetables. Bulk up on the vegetables instead of the bread and pasta.
Salads, cooked vegetables, and anything that is a green or red vegetable is lower in total calories than things like potatoes and starchy foods.

Losing weight will take all the will power you have. It's hard to do. It's also hard to keep that weight off.

Getting discouraged when there is no progress is also easy to do. I certainly have had my share of discouragement with my weight. But giving up is not a good idea.

You have to fight the fight and win "The Battle Of The Bulge."

Bye for now...

No comments:

 Hello Weight Losing Fans,  Today I stepped up onto the Digital Scale weighing in at 208.2-Pounds. My heart is very heavy with pain since my...